• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Opinion on Summa F1612 (or any F-Series)?

Quark

Merchant Member
So if you have a job that uses 2 different tools, there is no waiting then. Otherwise, you will be constantly changing tools back and forth. I have one job for example that uses several rolls of vinyl for small labels. It cuts them out with the kiss cut knife, then cuts them into groups with the cut out knife.

we're getting 1 tangential module and 1 drag module. We won't be able to kiss cut and then cut out the sheets with only these two tools without swapping the tool in the tangential module?

White Haus

Not a Newbie
Quite the mess right now, but after 2.5 years in my new location and a year of having the SummaF, I am finally starting to clean and organize. haha.

Also, a second shop vac next to it is VERY handy for cleaning of the belt, dust and chips that fly around from the router.

Thanks for the pics Matt! So you don't need to use those laser/safety beam things in the corners? (huge sigh of relief)

Did that tool holder by your computer come with the unit or did you cut that yourself?

Definitely getting some good ideas from your set up!

ProColorGraphics

we're getting 1 tangential module and 1 drag module. We won't be able to kiss cut and then cut out the sheets with only these two tools without swapping the tool in the tangential module?

If you want to use the drag knife to cut them out then use the cut out tool in the tangential module, that would work. The kiss cut tool used in the tangential module is just faster and probably more accurate. It would be like the S-Class roll cutters with one being a drag knife and one a tangential knife.

ProColorGraphics

Thanks for the pics Matt! So you don't need to use those laser/safety beam things in the corners? (huge sigh of relief)

Did that tool holder by your computer come with the unit or did you cut that yourself?

Definitely getting some good ideas from your set up!

No safety beams required! haha. That would have been a nightmare having those setup. You just have to click on "okay" every time when it boots up saying the beams are disabled. haha.

I got lucky when I got mine and had a tech direct form Summa Belgium come help set mine up! He made it up quick the first night he was here then we routed it out on the second day of install. So it is custom made. I redid the holder part as I added several tools since then. I can share that, you would just need to do the bracket part to where you want to attach it. I routed it out of 12mm pvc.

aparat

Love this! Our shop is also smaller and my biggest concern is compromising our workflow and space by adding one of these units. Does it require much work to re-level the unit after you've moved it around?
Do you drop it down onto the "feet" or do you just leave it with the wheels down? Our Oce flatbed has these but I've never moved it in fear of it not being level after.

Do you have the specs on the wheels you bought? Did Summa or the tech have any concerns about using these?

Thank you!

It is the blickle hrig-poa 72g. Theinstalation takes 30 mins, releveling 10min..
It has the same dimeter screw like the original summa feet. Sometimes i even do not relevel..
Summa surely says it has to be releveled but it works allso good if its not dead on level..

White Haus

Not a Newbie
It is the blickle hrig-poa 72g. Theinstalation takes 30 mins, releveling 10min..
It has the same dimeter screw like the original summa feet. Sometimes i even do not relevel..
Summa surely says it has to be releveled but it works allso good if its not dead on level..

Thank you for the info! Will definitely look into these if we go ahead with this unit.

White Haus

Not a Newbie
No safety beams required! haha. That would have been a nightmare having those setup. You just have to click on "okay" every time when it boots up saying the beams are disabled. haha.

I got lucky when I got mine and had a tech direct form Summa Belgium come help set mine up! He made it up quick the first night he was here then we routed it out on the second day of install. So it is custom made. I redid the holder part as I added several tools since then. I can share that, you would just need to do the bracket part to where you want to attach it. I routed it out of 12mm pvc.

Good to know, thanks. Space will be tight for us too so having to have those in place would have been a pain. I will definitely hit you up for that file if we go ahead with the purchase!

Ldireprophil

68BB6AAF-37F4-4290-AB0C-62C91311BC3A.jpeg
I had to rearrange things but my F1612 is in and working

Robert Gruner

Quark,

A fair number of endusers creating decals will laminate their roll of printed graphics before cutting out the decal. The standard drag knife module that comes with the cutter often has difficulty die-cutting or cutting through the laminated graphic. Therefore, it makes sense to have two Tangential modules, one with kiss cut knife and one with cut through knife to accomplish both cuts before advancing the media. If your graphics are NOT laminated then the drag knife will effectively die-cut or cut through media.

Quark

Merchant Member
Quark,

A fair number of endusers creating decals will laminate their roll of printed graphics before cutting out the decal. The standard drag knife module that comes with the cutter often has difficulty die-cutting or cutting through the laminated graphic. Therefore, it makes sense to have two Tangential modules, one with kiss cut knife and one with cut through knife to accomplish both cuts before advancing the media. If your graphics are NOT laminated then the drag knife will effectively die-cut or cut through media.
Thank you sir. Our quote indeed included two modules. Thank you

Split76

My F is 2,5 years old and the software has never been buggy for me, i think i reset the computer once in 2 months :D

CMY_K?

With the new GoProduce software it is even more fun to work with it! the workflow is twice as fast in my opp...
We allso added some blickle wheels, because the shop is small and we need to move the machine time to time.. (allso the pump is on rollers).
This is a great idea!
How are the casters holding up?
How easy is it to move?
I'm in the process of buying the 1612, and would love to have the ability to move it occasionally.

Thanks!

G

balstestrat

Problem Solver
This is a great idea!
How are the casters holding up?
How easy is it to move?
I'm in the process of buying the 1612, and would love to have the ability to move it occasionally.

Thanks!

G
If you want to have a permanent solution just get some "industrial" size wheels and install them.
But it's also very easy to move with just pallet jack.

SharpCut

Worked with Colex Sharpcut, Kongsberg C-series, and Summa F-series. I won't comment on the Kongsberg, but between Colex and Summa here's my feelings:
Colex has the superior software from an operator position, Summa has the better machine. Colex comes with quirks and hiccups, sometimes we get bizarre issues from no apparent source. But it lets you do almost anything you could ever need. Summa GoProduce is an amazingly user friendly software with a ton of great options, but we have found its flexibility a bit less forgiving.
Colex requires more maintenance and, once you start hitting that 1-year mark with it if you run it often, you'll start repairs pretty frequently. The Summa, we've had for over a year and it's been down twice and maintenance takes 5 minutes.

I love them both a great deal, but if I had to choose one, I think I'd pick the Summa F-series and run it with OptiScout. If you're looking for any odd work arounds or alternatives to Summa's expensive parts, hit me up.

balstestrat

Problem Solver
Worked with Colex Sharpcut, Kongsberg C-series, and Summa F-series. I won't comment on the Kongsberg, but between Colex and Summa here's my feelings:
Colex has the superior software from an operator position, Summa has the better machine. Colex comes with quirks and hiccups, sometimes we get bizarre issues from no apparent source. But it lets you do almost anything you could ever need. Summa GoProduce is an amazingly user friendly software with a ton of great options, but we have found its flexibility a bit less forgiving.
Colex requires more maintenance and, once you start hitting that 1-year mark with it if you run it often, you'll start repairs pretty frequently. The Summa, we've had for over a year and it's been down twice and maintenance takes 5 minutes.

I love them both a great deal, but if I had to choose one, I think I'd pick the Summa F-series and run it with OptiScout. If you're looking for any odd work arounds or alternatives to Summa's expensive parts, hit me up.
What's your frustrations with GoProduce?

PHILJOHNSON

Sales Manager
Hi All,

The F1612 is fairly easy to move around the shop and even to a new shop if you wanted to. A palette jack should be all you need to move it around your shop but if you need to move it from one location to another then you may also need a forklift. I have repacking instructions that I can email you if you would like and those walk you through how to properly secure the unit in the crate as well as how to secure the gantry for movement as well. Keep in mind that there are several calibrations that you will need to run after the machine has been moved from one location to another, like the table profiling for example. If the machine is under warranty and you are moving it from your existing shop to a new location, it would probably be most prudent to have a Summa trained technician assist with the move to avoid any potential damage to the equipment that may not be covered under warranty.

Did you already purchase this equipment or are you in the process of comparing distributors and pricing still? We are long time Summa guys(we used to own and operate Summa until 2017 so we know the Summa flatbeds well) and I would be happy to provide pricing for the F1612 and answer any other questions that you might have about the equipment if that would be helpful.

Best regards,

Phil Johnson
Airmark Corporation
(800)527-7778, ext. 112
philj@airmark.com

DaveD

The three you've mentioned are all on my shortlist with the exception of the Kongsberg being the X series. If you were to make a comment on it (Kongsberg) would it be good or bad?