• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Opinions on backlit signs with printers that print white

Scotchbrite

No comment
I really, really prefer to use cast translucent vinyl films for backlit signage. However it just gets to be such a battle anymore to convince people to choose a translucent color that doesn't exactly match the color some designer picked for their business cards but will look really good at night on their backlit sign.

In order to avoid these issues, we're looking to purchase a new printer that can print white. My understanding is the printer will lay down a full color pass, then cover that with white, and finally add a top full color layer. What I want to know is do they actually work well for backlit signage? As good as cast translucent films?

Gino

Premium Subscriber
Consider how long they will last in the elements and sun. I would imagine you'll get a third the life with inks vs. translucent vinyl.

Scotchbrite

No comment
I don't disagree with that. I just hate how washed out the backlit prints look now and I'm hoping the layered print will help with that.

Although if we can get a good translucent print on clear vinyl, I would be tempted to apply them second surface on clear plastic.

Superior_Adam

We print them without an issue with our flatbed. Print a 40% color pass then 100% white the 100% color pass. Our signs have been up for 5 years and still look good. We print on the backside so that helps also. If you wanted you could run them through the laminator for added longevity and protection.

MelloImagingTechnologies

Many years in the Production Business
Most of my flatbed customers print these.
Have been doing it for 15 years since uv printing was starting.
We’ve called it day-night backlit because it’s the right color with lights on or off. Before that, backlit was always too dark with lights off.
They mostly print color- white- color second surface on the inside of clear acrylics.
Bruce

mim

0_o
That's what we do here and it works great! We use the Epson s80600, I can't for the life of me figure out how to print color, white, color all in one shot. Apparently it's possible. What I do is make tick marks on the media + heater and print the first layer as a normal print. After it's had time to dry, I reverse the media back to align with the tick marks and print again with white + color on top. It works great when you get it right! Definitely had some fails before I got the right heat and ink density settings.

Like others have said, I can't speak to the longevity, but just wanted to say it's possible :)

Bogie1of8

We have been doing it for years with our HP FB500. Works great but the final product will never last as long as cut translucent vinyl. The other thing I like about the white on the FB500 is we can control the opacity of the white. We usually set it for 50% when graphics are lit with Florescent bulbs and 70-75% when lit with bright LEDs. How the print is being lit makes a difference in your color wash out.

Bobby H

Arial Sucks.
Digital prints from printers that can print layers of white and color definitely look a lot better when back-lit than the output from printers that can't print white. They don't wash out anywhere near as bad. The color saturation still isn't quite as deep as cut translucent vinyl though. Some translucent vinyl colors are a little beyond the gamut range limits of printers. Of course cut translucent vinyl has its own serious limitations, such as a very limited range of colors and certain colors just not lighting up very well. Printers allow far more intricate designs, gradients, photo imagery, etc.

If you can print direct or apply the graphics to the sub-surface side of clear sign faces you'll get a bit longer life out of the graphics than if they're on the first surface and exposed directly to the elements.

In order to avoid these issues, we're looking to purchase a new printer that can print white. My understanding is the printer will lay down a full color pass, then cover that with white, and finally add a top full color layer. What I want to know is do they actually work well for backlit signage? As good as cast translucent films?
If you are interested in seeing your sample file printed onto a transparent adhesive film using 3-layer Color-White-Color, please ping me. I would be using the Latex 700 W to produce this.

P Wagner

Scotchbrite

No comment
If you are interested in seeing your sample file printed onto a transparent adhesive film using 3-layer Color-White-Color, please ping me. I would be using the Latex 700 W to produce this.

P Wagner
My vendor is supposed to be getting me sample prints from the HP but I'll let you know if that doesn't work out.