• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Our National Anthem

showcase 66

HUH??? You say that you believe you should be able to change the key, tempo, arrangement, phrasing, but not the notes? That doesn't make any sense. Because notes include some of those things you mentioned, not just the changing pitch.

Besides FSC didn't write the tune of the song. He wrote a poem that went with an old English drinking song.

I personally have no problem with musicians taking artistic liberties with a song, as long as it is still pleasant to the ear. Some of the my favorite memorable national anthem moments involved singers doing something new or different. I love hearing the anthem with harmonies. Harmonies that were not original to the song.

Sometimes when singers take artistic liberties, It doesn't alway work out that great, but I've always felt that the meaning of the song transcends how any one person sings it, and the fact that we have the freedom to sing it anyway we want to, pays the ultimate tribute to the true meaning of the song.

In my opinion, music is an art, not a science. The feeling and the message is more important than the notes.

I will always like Jimmi Hendrix's version.

bob

It's better to have two hands than one glove.
HUH??? You say that you believe you should be able to change the key, tempo, arrangement, phrasing, but not the notes? That doesn't make any sense...

Which part don't you understand?

The notion the the definition of a musical work is the sequence of the notes [actually the delta between them]?

Do you not understand that when a musical work is protected by copyright that the thing that's protected is that particular sequence of tones?

Perhaps or any or all of the concepts of key, tempo, arrangement, or phrasing tend to confuse you?

Joe Diaz

The notion the the definition of a musical work is the sequence of the notes [actually the delta between them]?

Do you not understand that when a musical work is protected by copyright that the thing that's protected is that particular sequence of tones?

Perhaps or any or all of the concepts of key, tempo, arrangement, or phrasing tend to confuse you?

No, Try reading and UNDERSTANDING my entire comment, not just the half of it you quoted, before you make an even bigger tool out of yourself.

HUH??? You say that you believe you should be able to change the key, tempo, arrangement, phrasing, but not the notes? That doesn't make any sense. Because notes include some of those things you mentioned, not just the changing pitch.

I understand alright, I fully understand you either didn't have a clue what you were talking about, or at the very least were just unfamiliar with the terminology. But what didn't make sense is your original statement where you said you can change the tempo, phrasing, etc, when you sing a song, but not the notes, when a note or the combination of notes is used to describe things like key, tempo, arrangement, phrasing not just pitch. I'm assuming you don't think people should be able to alter the changes of pitch (or PHRASING) from one note to another, but that isn't what you said.

Your origin comment, the one I said made no sense:
Really?

One can change the key, tempo, the arrangement, the phrasing, but the notes are the notes and they, and they alone, define the work.

Just perform the notes that were written.

That would be like me saying you can't change the ingredients of a peanut butter and jelly sandwich, you can just swap out the bread, or the peanut butter, or the jelly.

Get it now???

Last edited:

omgsideburns

Doesn't quite work like that. Artists are open to interpretation of the subject/role/music they are playing.

Generally copyright in music (or theatre) only requires the user to stick to the words. They are free to interpret the rest of it the way they want for the sake of performance.

:Oops:

Gino

Premium Subscriber
I think what you guys are now arguing about is personal preference and common sense combined with talent... or lack thereof.

Nowhere, that I'm aware of can you take the melody line of any song and think you are making it better when all one does is use guttural sounds, yodeling, screeching, screaming, yelling, sliding into notes or just about any sound room cheap tricks to alter ones abilities or again…. lack of.

If you guys substituted signs, letter styles, colors and negative space for notes, harmony, theory, and cadence… you’d see it’s the same thing everywhere.

When crooning or scatting became popular or big bands replaced the small orchestras and then the rock groups took over the music scene…. No one was ever thrilled about the change, but it still took place. However, the one thing that made any performer stand out was being different, but being good at their niche. Whether it was playing a banjo or harmonica to the ‘William Tell Overture’ or Elvis Presley singing gospel…. they do it well without gimmicks. While bob I think is explaining the very tight way of thinking about music…. music is one of the most mathematical subjects you’ll ever witness within the arts. Changing songs to sound horrid just goes against someone the same way speaking negatively about religion goes against others. It’s all personal taste and what each and everyone does with it… is their own.

However, we all have opinions about it and when someone butchers something it doesn’t matter if you have a tin ear, learned music by a book or are totally self taught….ANYONE knows quality when they see it or hear it and if makes you bend your head over and wince because of the pain….. it’s probably your ear sending your brain a message to keep as many airwaves out of your head as possible. Putting both hands up to your ears, just gets more attention.

As for artist being open to interpretation…. that’s pretty much, just like around here…. create crap and no one will like it except for those that have to start somewhere.

For you guys arguing about music theory…. it goes far beyond the surface you are scratching………….

Again, she stank and that’s all there is to it. If you like her style and find it comforting or her getting her style across…. Good for you….. it’s just you have poor taste and tinnitus most likely.​