• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Our National Anthem

AUTO-FX

Dear Superbowl Organizers,
Please allow me to take this oppurtunity to ask you to review your talent recruitment for the singing of our national anthem. I realize your event is as much a show production as it is a football game, but this should not be license to allow the butchery of what is to most a sacred manifestation of our patriotism. That is why it is called an ANTHEM. Can we please return to having our Star Spangled Banner performed in a traditional manner, by someone who knows the words???

Thank you

Jillbeans

Thankfully I missed this but can only assume it was a blend of yodel like screeching, red lip gloss, Aqua Net on a bad weave, and aiming for the vocal money shot.
My fave anthem singer is the Canadian policeman (don't know his name) who opens for the hockey games.
Super professional.
I agree, sing the song the way it was written and stop trying to embellish it.
Love.....Jill

signage

This is just one sign to show where this country is heading. You know she had a rehearsal and they thought it was alright!

Last edited:

Gino

Premium Subscriber
That's what drinking and drugs will do to a young mind.... it goes dumb and gets mushy.

No wonder we're afraid..... if this is what our youth is all about.

.......... and I hate it when these so-called singers yodel and slide into notes instead of just relying on talent instead of cheap gimmicks.

Tim Aucoin

My fave anthem singer is the Canadian policeman (don't know his name) who opens for the hockey games.
Super professional.
Love.....Jill

I find this fascinating Jill! Not sure who you are talking about, but glad to hear a Canadian can get your Anthem correct! :smile: Most times that I've heard up here, the Canadian singers totally butcher our Anthem. I agree with you & Gino... Just sing it and stop trying to "make it your own"! :banghead:

showcase 66

I wish they would just sing it the way it was intended and not try and put their own stamp on it. Part of it, it sounded like she was just trying to scream the lyrics instead of sing them. That being said. I know I couldnt have done it. In front of that many people, I would have been Ooohhhh sh!t what comes next.

I think they should pick from someone who sang it during the season. They get some good talent at games.

wes70

Thankfully I missed this but can only assume it was a blend of yodel like screeching, red lip gloss, Aqua Net on a bad weave, and aiming for the vocal money shot.
Super professional.
I agree, sing the song the way it was written and stop trying to embellish it.
Love.....Jill

http://video.senators.nhl.com/videocenter/console?id=78274

bob

It's better to have two hands than one glove.
I thought it was pretty bad too...but I don't have an aversion to alternative takes on the Anthem....[

Really?

It seem to me that when someone authors a piece of music, whatever it might be, that the writer puts exactly the notes it wants in exactly the order it wants. Seldom, if ever, does one see a piece of music with a notation between two notes telling the performer to improvise between these two notes as it might see fit. One can change the key, tempo, the arrangement, the phrasing, but the notes are the notes and they, and they alone, define the work.

Just perform the notes that were written. Nothing is ever made better by inserting paroxysms of yodeling and screeching.