• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Outdoor Sign: What do you think of this:

brycesteiner

I am getting a project for a school. It's to refinish the aging signs.

The current color of the sign is a faded brown. I've talked the school into going with painting the signs a bright liberty blue to match the school colors. We would then put new lettering on the new gloss paint on the old metal. Would that work?
Any suggestions on the paint and vinyl to make this work? Would it be better to have the whole flat sign part as printed vinyl instead of painting?

Just wanting your suggestions. I'm so used to doing entire signs in vinyl.

thanks,
bryce

Gino

Premium Subscriber
What kind of metal is it ?? Do you have the means to prep it and bring it up to snuff before painting it ?? That could very well likely determine what kinda paint to use..... or even what path to select.

d fleming

I am currently refurbing a sign I did 14 years ago. Was naked sheet metal on steel frame. Back then I acid etched it and painted it with one shot bulletin then lettered. Now I have blasted it clean with 3,000 psi pressure washer and now have to sand, prime, paint and letter again. Using Sherman Williams btw

Last edited:

Billct2

It would help to know the design, sizes and quantities.
Depending on design my first option would be to cover with a blue ACM and cut vinyl, or if the the design has to be printed them white ACM with prints.

brycesteiner

What kind of metal is it ?? Do you have the means to prep it and bring it up to snuff before painting it ?? That could very well likely determine what kinda paint to use..... or even what path to select.
I'm not exactly sure. I believe the outside frame is steel and the insides sheet is aluminum. I can check to make sure. Both are painted now. - no rust.

brycesteiner

It would help to know the design, sizes and quantities.
Depending on design my first option would be to cover with a blue ACM and cut vinyl, or if the the design has to be printed them white ACM with prints.
The size is about 70" x 32" and I also thought about using the Blue ACM. The design is just going to be Helvetica/Arial Bold Text.

bob

It's better to have two hands than one glove.
The size is about 70" x 32" and I also thought about using the Blue ACM. The design is just going to be Helvetica/Arial Bold Text.

For creativity of that magnitude perhaps you should merely spray the old sign with rattle cans and use a good quality electrical tape to form the text.