• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Overspray Problem

NZ Mike

Mimaki JV3 160sp
bad overspray from the cyan.
I have tried so far:
Static control tests = no change
New Cables (slider board to head) = No Change
damper swap = same head over spraying with diffrent color (was expected)
Thought I had it untill I tried:
Cable swap (m slider board to c head / c slider board to m head) = magenta head now has over spray, cyan is fine
From my limited experience, I belive this means the problem is not the head, or the cable. But is prior to the cable - possible slider board (I hope not)
The other thing I noticed is when doing the test prints (solid color blocks) the black has a nice smooth pattern during the swaths, but the cyan is very random - like stucco
I hope someone can shed a bit of light on this
Thanks

NZ Mike

One more thing

The overspray is relative to the firing direction. If bi directional,over spray is on both side of the image, if uni then only on the left side of the print.

artbot

looks like you've already isolated it to the slider board. maybe do the data swap just one more time. if the issue follows the slider board port than you're done looking.

those boards can be rebuilt for $200 (diagnosed for much less).

NZ Mike

Hmmmm
Not what I wanted to hear, but thought it was comming. Down here in New Zealand its not so easy to get these things repaired.
Whiat I have tried is entering difrent head id numbers and had some success in reducing the over spray quite a bit (ok for cash for trash jobs, but not quite there for close up work)
As I understand the head ranking numbr is for fine tuning the heads voltage for best output.
I have tried 5 diffrent numbers (you cant just enter a random number) 2 of the numbers (the current yellow and head 1 from our roland vresacamm) are givine almost OK results.
What I am after now is as many head rank numbers as I can get, if anyone is willing to put them up,and I will enter each one in and go with the best result.
Thanks
Mike

artbot

from what i gather from many detailed discussions on this board. the mimaki doesn't react much to correct vs/ wrong head rank numbers. i'd do some reading/searching on this board under "head rank". you might decide to ignore this as a possible half cure.

have you got an example of the overspray i'm about to pull my board out and i believe it may be the same fault as with yours can you post an image of the problem and i'll see what i can diagnose

MikePro

use the search function... this topic has been beaten to death on 2-3 different threads with pictures.
(on the cyan head, as well, for at least 2 of them!)
All concluding in head replacement or bad batches of ink.

MikePro

conclusion of my overspray thread:
i was using Bordeaux, at the time, but i've heard it happen with OEM inks as well.... We've had a few occasions where Fellers had sent us inks a month before expiration and didn't notice/use them up in time but they were always glad to send me free chip replacements anytime i needed them.

Ultimately, my overspray issue was most likely letting an old cartridge sit on the shelf for too long and using it without stirring. Chased around theories of static, dampers, ribbon cables, printheads, etc... and after flushing the lines and the heads (both program mode AND manually cycling cleaning solution through my printheads with a syringe paired with a new set of cartridges cleared my issue right up.

(i also swapped out a couple of printheads along the way, but a good amount of nozzle deflections just weren't good for my prints anymore. I still chalk up my overspray solution to restoring "ink harmony")

tbaker

most overspray problems that I have seen in the printers I work on is due to poor ink manufacturing.

That being said, there's been issues with all ink manufacturers, so that's the first thing I check on site.

artbot

all this discussion about ink is true. but the problem seems to have been isolated to the port on the slider board (or possibly before that).

tbaker

I agree with you artbot, I got sidetracked in the thread, since I had just got back from recovering a unit with a load of bad ink. It was stuck in my head when I posted.

Since the problem had been previously isolated I agree with your assessment.