• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Paint coming off the wall in big chunks

Texas_Signmaker

Very Active Signmaker
I was wrapping an interior wall when large patches of paint would get stuck to the vinyl and ruin it. Obviously when the paint stuck to the vinyl, it looked wrinkly and bad in those areas because it did not stick to the wall. I can try everything possible to not have vinyl accidently touch the wall before applying it, but sometimes it's unavoidable. The paint was on the wall for 30 days prior to me installing. Is this a problem with the paint prep or should I be super cautions not having it the wall? What happened here is the bottom curled in and trapped a tunnel of air and I immediately pulled it off but it grabbed a GIANT chunk of solid paint with it.

Attachments

• paint.jpg
    paint.jpg
    4.2 MB · Views: 1,260

Boudica

Back to "educational purposes"
I'm a noob, but I would say that the wall wasn't properly prepped before it was painted. Or something with the paint.

Notarealsignguy

Arial - it's almost helvetica
Its kind of the nature of the beast with paint now.
We built a break room, all new drywall, sanded, primed and my wife rolled it with SW super paint. When we pulled the tape off, the paint came off in sheets. We pretty much pulled it all off of the wall and repainted it. We had our Sherwin Williams rep come out and he gave us replacement paint but all he had to say was to let it dry longer. We also did some door wraps that fell off and they pulled the paint with them. Another SW product. We also pulled that stuff off in sheets, it was a DTM paint over latex. The guy told SW he had metal doors but the idiot never asked if they were painted before. It was a real mess. We had to pull off what we could and try to sand down the edges where it didn't come off.

GAC05

Quit buggin' me
Maybe try something like Photo tex. You can reposition it without damage. I have not used it much, but it does seem to stay up.

weyandsign

Maybe the paint wasn't sticking because it was too humid. Even 30 days is not long enough depending on humidity. Also sanding dust on the wall will make it not stick.

Bradley Signs

Bradley Signs
Could be a number of things... putting Latex over Oil Base paint. Not dry enough due to humidity.... If the drywall underneath is damp... hard to say. Blame it on your employees and tell the customer you fired them! Hahahahaha.... I'm only serious...

SW used to be the cats bottom!

Now a days, between the EPA and the USDA and God knows what other Gubment entities there are, I don't trust any of them....

DL Signs

Never go against the family
Was doing some doors at a school, doing the 2nd door, the vinyl started just coming loose on the first one... Wasn't the vinyl, pulled it off and this ugliness happened, took all the paint with it. The doors were peeling so they painted them over the summer, they put a nice coat of latex over the oil based primer and paint that was on it without a sealer.

Attachments

• IMG_20220824_082533468_HDR.jpg
    IMG_20220824_082533468_HDR.jpg
    2 MB · Views: 149

Notarealsignguy

Arial - it's almost helvetica
Was doing some doors at a school, doing the 2nd door, the vinyl started just coming loose on the first one... Wasn't the vinyl, pulled it off and this ugliness happened, took all the paint with it. The doors were peeling so they painted them over the summer, they put a nice coat of latex over the oil based primer and paint that was on it without a sealer.
That's what ours looked like. What a disaster

zspace

Premium Subscriber
I was wrapping an interior wall when large patches of paint would get stuck to the vinyl and ruin it. Obviously when the paint stuck to the vinyl, it looked wrinkly and bad in those areas because it did not stick to the wall. I can try everything possible to not have vinyl accidently touch the wall before applying it, but sometimes it's unavoidable. The paint was on the wall for 30 days prior to me installing. Is this a problem with the paint prep or should I be super cautions not having it the wall? What happened here is the bottom curled in and trapped a tunnel of air and I immediately pulled it off but it grabbed a GIANT chunk of solid paint with it.

Dang, that's so low, the customer might notice if you hang a picture over it.

Our installers used to strip the backers, now they only peel a few inches as they work down the wall to keep the vinyl from touching. They still run into the problem, just not as often.

Texas_Signmaker

Very Active Signmaker
These are brand new walls for a store that hasn't opened.

Dang, that's so low, the customer might notice if you hang a picture over it.

Our installers used to strip the backers, now they only peel a few inches as they work down the wall to keep the vinyl from touching. They still run into the problem, just not as often.

Same idea I had. I told the business owner to hang his licenses there and he agreed.. There are other areas where we can't cover that I didn't take a picture of those.

truckgraphics

If you haven't stopped already, my advice is just stop. Cover or re-paint the problem and come up with a new solution.

The paint is going to come off the wall and pull the drywall. It's going to be a disaster.

Phototex might be a solution or even Oracal 631 (I have a test wall of printed 631 in my shop. It's been up for years and still looks great.) But until the paint cures, I wouldn't put anything on it. Not a paint expert here so I don't know which paints cure fastest. I just ran into a really bad situation with uncured paint a couple years ago and it was an unhappy event. The paint has to be thoroughly dry before you put anything on it.

Gino

Premium Subscriber
Could be any one..... or two things of 1/2 dozen things that went wrong.

* Do you have much humidity there in texas ??
* Can ya find an old empty can of the paint used ??
* Do you know exactly what vinyl was used ??
* Were there any flaws in the paint before starting ??
* Do you know the painter's procedure as far as primer and how many top coats along with how long between coats ??

This same thing happened to us years ago, but it didn't involve vinyl. We were putting PVC panels up on a wall using VHB and schmootz. We used the same method for hundreds of these things over the years. Suddenly, about a week after we put some up in this particular store, the people called us and told us our installation is failing. We're in PA and this happened down in lower Delaware. I hadda drive down and go up there and inspect the signs we placed around. Some hadda be replaced due to falling and hitting the floor. Thing is, signs at a lower level, were fine. Also signs at two other walls were also fine. Just this front wall and part of the side wall. I investigated and went above the ceiling and looked down. There was NO insulation at all in the front or side wall. The side wall got all the morning and early afternoon sun, while the front wall got the sun all morning and afternoon until it went down. The wall was heating up and then cooling down creating so much moisture back there and along this wall, the signs didn't have a chance. I reported on this and the contractors quickly became my enemies..... because, they were contracted to insulate these walls and because no one would ever see it, they skipped thousands of dollars worth of materials and more money saving on labor of not doing it. They got in a lotta trouble. Anyway, it took them a while to fix their problem, but we had to give it another 2 weeks before we could go back and rehang the 'new' signs. They also paid for the replacement signs and our trip down to hang them and the rental of another scissors lift.

Last edited:

victor bogdanov

I've had a customers report paint coming up stuck to repositionable wallcoverings such as photex and similar products. What seems to be common is zero VOC paint and painted in the last 4-6 weeks over old paint.

Gino

Premium Subscriber
Ya got a point there. Most of today's paints are like painting with snot. They cover worth a sh!t, need multiple coats and don't bite in. Lousy adhesion.

Texas_Signmaker

Very Active Signmaker
I'm not a fan of the design.. but then again I aint the one paying for it.

Attachments

• 20220915_163709.jpg
    20220915_163709.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 109