• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Paint coming off the wall in big chunks

netsol

3 things in the paint industry have gone in completely the wrong direction:

(1) low VOC paints (taking out all the stuff that makes the paint stick...)

(2) adding so many silicone additives to paint to make it easily washable (and impossible for vinyl to stick to it...)

(3) this whole idea of "premium paints" that don't require primer. years ago, an old timer taught me, "primer sticks to things, paint sticks to primer"

rossmosh

Based on the location, I'd say they painted over a wall that wasn't completely cleaned after being sanded. If vinyl wasn't being applied over it, it would have never caused a problem. If you put some painters tape on that section of the wall, there's a good chance the paint would have come up too.

Notarealsignguy

Arial - it's almost helvetica
3 things in the paint industry have gone in completely the wrong direction:

(1) low VOC paints (taking out all the stuff that makes the paint stick...)

(2) adding so many silicone additives to paint to make it easily washable (and impossible for vinyl to stick to it...)

(3) this whole idea of "premium paints" that don't require primer. years ago, an old timer taught me, "primer sticks to things, paint sticks to primer"
The silicone is an issue. Everything is throw away now so people trade in their houses before they need new paint. No offense to anyone but they develop and market this easy clean, no primer crap to the stay at home women and light in the loafers crowd.
I can not wrap my head around VOCs and how they are a real issue in water based paint. It used to be that lead was an issue, then isocyanates.

Notarealsignguy

Arial - it's almost helvetica
Based on the location, I'd say they painted over a wall that wasn't completely cleaned after being sanded. If vinyl wasn't being applied over it, it would have never caused a problem. If you put some painters tape on that section of the wall, there's a good chance the paint would have come up too.
SW came and checked our walls, they were dust free and it still peeled off. We got free material but nobody from Sherwin Williams showed up to help us fix it.