• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Paint mask won't adhere to awning

mim

0_o
We are in a pinch so we are using Briteline MultiGrip because nothing is sticking to this awning fabric. The multigrip works but is obviously not ideal. I read online about using mod podge to seal the edges (the real concern) and that would also keep the vinyl stuck down. Since we haven't done this we decided to try it on a less pressing job. Anybody have any recommendations? It was a pre existing awning and we don't know what it's coated in.

Gino

Premium Subscriber
Most awnings are coated with all kindsa things from rain repellents, to fire retardant to guano deterrent chemicals. In other words, they are now made to repel most anything and most adhesive backed vinyls are in that category.

Perhaps try that material they use to make press-on digitally printed patches. Cut it out, iron it on, paint and then peel it off.

• Agree
Reactions: mim

mim

0_o
Most awnings are coated with all kindsa things from rain repellents, to fire retardant to guano deterrent chemicals. In other words, they are now made to repel most anything and most adhesive backed vinyls are in that category.

Perhaps try that material they use to make press-on digitally printed patches. Cut it out, iron it on, paint and then peel it off.

Thanks that's an interesting approach, we don't usually do anything like that here but we definitely could start!

Z SIGNS

There is a paint mask that is made to stick to canvass. Regular vinyl mask won't work.
Search the web. It's out there

tbullo

Superunknown
We don't make awnings here, but we cut a product called Fabtac for the awning company across the street for stencil.

fabtac.com

Last edited:

Gino

Premium Subscriber
That's the stuff. We used to call it dactac. I couldnt think of the name, til you said it. dactac might not be available anymore. It was a Sparcal product, I believe. Got it from kapco.

visual800

oracal will stick if you iron over the transfer tape just a little . It will stick good enough to use as mask

brdesign

That's the stuff. We used to call it dactac. I couldnt think of the name, til you said it. dactac might not be available anymore. It was a Sparcal product, I believe. Got it from kapco.
I haven't heard anyone mention Sparcal vinyl in years, that's what I used when I first started in the sign business years ago.

Johnny Best

It is probably Sunbrella fabric and has a “fuzz” on it that makes it hard to get adhesive material to stick. I use 650 vinyl and use a braid to roll down edges and roll latex on with short foam roller.

ProSignTN

The best I remember Arlon, who had bought out Carter Ink, made vinyl for Sparcal. When Arlon realized Sparcal was selling more vinyl than they were, they cut them off, squeezed them out. Sparcal built Arlon's brand, offering beyond standard colors and better customer service. It is nice to hear the name again after all these years. I think I still have an old Sparcal Color Chart around here somewhere.

ProSignTN

I do graphics for a friend of mine in the awning business. I've had some trouble with vinyl pulling a thin clear off when trying to apply. We've had to do our homework to make sure even vinyl awnings are vinyl receptive. As for fabric material direct printing is the way to go. Yes, we mask and painted back in the day, but it's high risk on the bleeds and complicated graphics are a real challenge. Just sub it out to someone who has the experience doing it.