• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Paint on vinyl

AUTO-FX

now wait , i just re-read gino's post.

here's how i always did it. kinda old school, huh?

wipe your vinyl down with alcohol.
run it through the plotter.
pin it up on a big peice of clean cardboard or coro and lean it against a clean wall. spray with regular krylon gloss paint. not too much, you dont want to bury your cut lines.
let it flash, and then clearcoat LIGHTLY but evenly with frog juice. juice works the best for this because it's flexible when dry.
let it dry overnight , then apply app tape and immediately apply to substrate.
wet the app tape thoroughly, the remove slowly.

slappy

wow! look at all the post! lol. sorry... i was down in my dungeon. Yes, AUTO FX, that is what i'm trying to do!

Thanks everyone... no i gotta go back and read them since my last post!

Gino

Premium Subscriber
now wait , i just re-read gino's post.

here's how i always did it. kinda old school, huh?

wipe your vinyl down with alcohol.
run it through the plotter.
pin it up on a big peice of clean cardboard or coro and lean it against a clean wall. spray with regular krylon gloss paint. not too much, you dont want to bury your cut lines.
let it flash, and then clearcoat LIGHTLY but evenly with frog juice. juice works the best for this because it's flexible when dry.
let it dry overnight , then apply app tape and immediately apply to substrate.
wet the app tape thoroughly, the remove slowly.

Do it whatever you want. You have the right steps.... just in the wrong order :Big Laugh

My preference is to paint first. Let it dry. Otherwise, paint can get behind the cut line [weeded or not] and cause problems down the road if you cut it first. Not to mention, you can sometimes actually weld the cut line shut and it will be a real bastard to weed. You'll have to hand cut some areas. Even with a half decent blade, you're not gonna mess up the cut edges with rough cutting and even if you do, most flames are outlined regardless if they were painted or vinyl.

slappy

how about i try both techniques and let you both know what i "likey better" to settle this, cause i'm going to practice this first before i do a final.. i'd hate to come back here tomorrow and see you still going at it:frustrated:

Thank you both! and my thread has been answered it's 5 and it's time to go drink some :bushmill: & :beer:

Luv ya both:thankyou:

Gino

Premium Subscriber
What can I say... it's chimp week
laughing chimp.jpg

slappy

back to this, now since i'm doing flames, should i paint red and orange on yellow vinyl.... or should i use white and paint all 3 colors?

slappy

I think i'm high now off of spray paint and frog juice... the whole basement stinks! I used all three cans, four including the frog! Damn i wish there was a window down there!