• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Painting on plexiglass question.

toonsign

Hi,

I'm just learning to paint on plexiglass using One Shot sign paint.

As I paint on the reverse side, when dry, should I coat it or leave it as is?

Is One Shot the best paint for plexiglass?

Thank you

Fred
Melbourne FL

rmaclucy

I always cover it with a vinyl that closely matches the paint. It protects from chips and scratches and makes it opaque.

Gino

Premium Subscriber
Well, I'm really lost, now. I don't quite understand the OP's question and the next post, has me totally stumped, unless I'm just getting senile.................... :banghead:

rmaclucy

I think we may both be senile. I was assuming the OP was trying to reverse paint clear plexiglass. We make a lot of ADA and dimensional signs that require this. We roll it on the back and when dry, cover with vinyl to protect.

toonsign

Painting on Plexiglass

Hi all,

What I'm trying to find out is, I paint on the reverse side of the plexiglass - mirror image.

Is using One Shot paint the best paint?

I wish that the plexi be clear & only the painted design show when you flip the plexi and look at it from a front view.

Thanking you in advance.

Fred
Melbourne FL

Billct2

If it was small projects done with masks and I would use the krylon made for plastics.
Backing depends on how much abuse it may take.
If I wanted to clear it I would do a small outline on the mask, pull and paint the graphic.
Then pull the outline while it's wet. Let dry and spray a clear backup
and then pull the rest of the mask.

trublu

You can back it up with black 1-Shot. Add some hardener to increase the durability. Letterhead Sign supply sells a Backup black paint made to backup gilded glass signs, but I would think the 1-Shot with hardener would work as well. Why are you using plexi? It will scratch rather easily. You can paint 1-Shot on glass and it will stick great. You may have a static electricity issue with plexi. The static electricity can literally pull the paint off the brush before you even touch the surface with it. A water based cleaner or a used dryer sheet can neutralize static electricity. If you want to practice, use a piece of glass and wipe off the 1-Shot before it fully cures. I would use a brown hair quill on such a smooth surface to minimize brush marks.