• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

painting wooden sign posts

DGDesigns

I have a customer that needs real estate signs painted in white. The signs are 4' x 8' panels positioned vertically and supported by 4" x 4" posts. The posts extend 11' out of the ground !
I am not crazy about pressure treated wood because it's wet when purchased and tends to twist when exposed to summer heat. Would anyone recommend a standard wood post for this application and what would be the best way to prime and paint it?

k.a.s.

Pressure treated wood works OK, you just need to let it sit inside for a while and let them dry out. That said, I never paint them I always use a solid color stain. It is really hard to get paint to not peel off of treated posts, the stain soaks in and looks nice for years.

Kevin

daveb

General Know-it-all
We use cedar posts all the time, accepts paint really good and lasts as good as treated. A little more expensive though but worth it.

Gino

Premium Subscriber
You can do either.

Pressure treated or cedar will work. However, since you need a 15' post... we find that anything much over 10' in pressure treated is bound to bend or go back to it's original shape once it dries out, unless you buy the kiln 2X dried posts, which then you might as well get the cedar for guaranteed straight post.

Pressure treated... solid color stain always.
Cedar... prime and two top coats.

G-Artist

When you buy the posts they are usually dripping wet (as stated).

I buy about 6 at a time and I have access to a sort of lean-to space that gets the sun most of the day.

After they have dried for about 6 weeks I go down and give them a good coat of primer.

When we construct the sign, we then give it a finish coat or two of whatever color we need. Most of what we use them for is commercial real estate or contractor signs so they don't have to be "perfect" if there is a bit of warp.

It's good to have dry posts ready to go.

At the times we run out (I share the space with another sign shop and he sometimes forgets to replace what he stole...lol) a quick option is to cover them with PVC sleeves which you can get at Lowe's or HD. Toss on a cap and you are ready to go. That stuff can be scuffed (3M pads) a bit to accept paint and Walmart has a line of plastic paint that sticks and looks good.

petrosgraphics

like everyone, solid stain, the only problem i see is if the customer wanted them white...
they will bleed....

as a question out there, i have had to wrap 6x6 pt posts with alum. to get them white.
any other suggestions? have not found any stain that works well for white, have stained them dk. gray, then white still does not work over time....

petrosgraphics

do they fit a 6x6 post? what is the longest pvc cover you can get..
i have use the pvc 5x5 posts from a local fence co. with a 4x4 inside.. they are avail. up to 12' in length....

Mainframe

I use the pvc post covers like crazy, they look clean & people seem to like them, gives the job a clean look.

k.a.s.

I've stained posts white, it may take three coats but it can be done. Or as others have said put a vinyl cover on them.

Kevin

The Sign Dude

They sell the ones that fit a 6x6. sometimes I use the 6x6 covers on 4x4 post. I have been tempted to paint them different colors but I have not had much luck getting long term adhesion on pvc.

AUTO-FX

a friend of mine on the business puts batches of 'em in one of his small garages with a torpedo heater for about 8 hours. says it works well.

Marlene

set them on blocks so the air can get around to all the sides and wait. another thing you can do is to go to the lumber yard and feel around for some that have been there a little longer. a place like Lowes or Home Depot get a bigger turn over in sales so try a smaller yard that doesn't get so much business and you might find some that aren't as wet.

AUTO-FX

i meant to type "in" the business. And last couple times i did a post and panel sign i used cedar - much better and the customers dont complain about the price when you explain to them whats gonna happen with the pressure treated junk. i will only use pressure treated as a backer or mount rail - somewhere it wont be an esthetic part of the sign.

Pat Whatley

They are realty signs for God's sake. Paint treated posts and install.

Good lord, I agree with Mosh on something. I buy them soaking wet from Home Depot, let them dry for a day or so on a couple of sawhorses, prime them with Kilz and paint them the next day.

The paint usually lasts 4-5 years, far longer than most of my real estate signs stay up. If they want a white post that lasts longer I don't even bother with wood, I buy white aluminum posts or PVC sleeves.

Of course almost every real estae company i deal with just leaves the posts unpainted.

Also, when you install your sign use 3" screws. Instead of just running one line of screws down the sign to mount the sign use two screws side by side with about 2" between them horizontally. Do this every two feet vertically. You'll be amazed at how well that will do at keeping the 4x4 from being able to twist.