• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Paper backing from vinyl..is it biodegradable?

gabagoo

It's one thing that it can't be recycled. The other issue with backing paper is that it can fill up a garbage container pretty fast so what I do when I have the time is we roll it up tight and keep putting it into a box. Slipping sleeves into each other for compactability and then in a few weeks dump it in the bin. We are charged by volume not weight and it can add up pretty fast. I had this one guy working for me years ago who would throw a 24" x 48" piece of scrap plywood in the bin then hop inside and start jumping. We could keep filling the bin up an extra 2 or 3 times, although I was not crazy about him doing it for fear he might slip. He would not listen to me so I let him do it anyways. Saved me some dough.

It's sort of like recycling but in the past I've donated scraps of material to some different organizations. Locally there is a business called The Scrap Exchange and they take all kinds of scraps and resale it to the public for craft and art projects. I've also donated to some of the local art clubs.

The backing paper works fairly well as drop cloth as well as packing material, people have all kinds of uses for the card board tubes.

Billct2

I just started with a seperate reycling dumpster here.
Gave them samples of lots of the stuff....the liner was denied as was transfer paper.
The one that surprised me was coroplast, I thought that would be recylable but they said no.

Joe Diaz

We use ours for pounce patterns all the time. They work great! but we don't use pounce patterns nearly enough to keep up with the steady supply of backing waste.

Like others have already stated we have also used it for packing. In a few instances we have used it to cover the floor and keep it clean under a mural as we work.

We use it for all sorts of projects at our haunted house, like stuffing our dummies among other things.

weaselboogie

Donate it to your local school in their art department. It makes a great throw-away palette for mixing paint- the paint doesn't soak in.

Doyle

I have reused backing paper from my laminator (usually ends up being one LOOOONG roll of paper on the take-up reel) and use it on the floor when painting things etc. I use Oraguard so it has a nice grid printed on the back of it that comes in handy when cutting it down for various purposes.

Another way to cut down on how much space all the waste takes up (doesn't cut down on the amount though) is when I remove transfer tape, I will roll up the backing paper from that piece fairly tight, then when removing the tape I will roll it onto the rolled up backing paper. It makes a nice handle to hold onto when removing the tape, and also keeps all of it rolled up really small and uses about 1/10 of the garbage space when you are finished. You can keep rolling everything up into one piece and what would usually completely fill a garbage can would end up a roll that is about the size of a 3" core.....

iceracer

I wonder what is worse; making signs with oil based paints containing lead and brushes, or oil based PVC vinyls and silicone coated release liners?

Burning your trash is probably a pretty irresponsible solution IMO.

Terry

bob

It's better to have two hands than one glove.
I wonder what is worse; making signs with oil based paints containing lead and brushes, or oil based PVC vinyls and silicone coated release liners?

Burning your trash is probably a pretty irresponsible solution IMO.

You figure that any or all of these things is going to destroy civilization as we know it? If you abstain from any or all of these things, we'll all be walking in sunshine?

If your answer to any of these is 'yes' you might consider developing a realistic comprehension of the size and volume of the external reality and your inability to have any effect on it whatsoever.

Patrick46

I kinda have a question here...
are we talking about the backing paper on our vinyl here??

The plasticy backing on the digital wraps I order is not burnable I can see...but the stuff on the back of the Gerber 220 is wax paper. That is burnable, ain't it??

For recycling my vinyl scraps, I like to take all of my small vinyl scraps to my local primary school and do a vinyl workshop with the art classes. (by the end of the year, I've got 3 garbage bags full of the stuff). The kids & teachers love it 'cause it's cut and stick...no glue to mess with, and there's tons of colours and fancy foils to play with. I usually go a week before Christmas, so they make lots of pictures, decorations, and ornaments on cardboard or poster paper to take home. I show 'em how to cut out a pair of Christmas tree shapes, and then, do the slice up the middle trick where you slide them together, and they stand up by themselves...they think I'm brilliant!!!! :rock-n-roll:

I'm from Oregon...we're big on recycling out here.

SqueeGee

If you abstain from any or all of these things, we'll all be walking in sunshine?

Nope. You may be surprised to learn there are more reasons to recycle than that warm and fuzzy feeling that I'm sure you walk around with all day long. I'm searching for a way to reduce the money that I spend on trash removal which may include recycling.

Keep smiling, bob, you dear, sweet, bundle of joy!:U Rock:

How did you guys donate to the schools?

The reason I'm asking is that the company I used to work used to do a lot of business printing 30 sheet paper billboards. They didn't have any air conditioning and when you got down to the last 30-40 feet of the roll the humidity would wrinkle the paper. Most of the time the tail end the roll would be taken off the machine and a fresh one loaded up when that happened.

We wound up throwing a lot of the scraps in the garbage. I tried donating it to the local schools but the amount of paper work that was required was staggering. Didn't know if that was just the local schools or everywhere.

Patrick46

1.)We wound up throwing a lot of the scraps in the garbage.

2.)I tried donating it to the local schools but the amount of paper work that was required was staggering. Didn't know if that was just the local schools or everywhere.

1.) This is exactally what I'm trying to avoid. I dispise waste!

2.) I have a friend that is a teacher, and they jump at the chance for me to come in. I can't believe they'd give you a trail of red tape for DONATING something they can use to educate with. (Try talking directly to the teachers, or maybe try a different school)