• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Pay for the new guy in the shop.

TyrantDesigner

Art! Hot and fresh.
We might be hiring another person just to pick up the slack on all the grunt work ... and I really do mean grunt work (removals, some install, some weeding, inventory, and with the off chance of setting up the plotter for cutting files ... that's it) What would you guys pay a completely green shop helper to start? Eventually I would want his role to increase (and his pay would match) but darned if I've never hired anyone for such a menial role before. Any help or pointers on pay would be great.

Salmoneye

Depends on the job competition in your area. If you have lots of folks looking for work at even minimum wage in your area I would still pay a little more, let them know that you are expecting more than minimum. Good luck, hiring for me is always difficult.

Salmoneye

Wow Cheapo! That is what a really good designer gets here and our city has almost no unemployment. That is a lot of money for no experience and sweeping up the floor type work. I wish I could afford to pay that right now.

GraphixUnlimited

bout the minimum you can pay here is 10 bucks an hour so prolly start em at that for just grunt work but obviously as expectations rise with the tasks so to should the pay.

cheers eh

Billct2

That's why questions about pay/prices are kinda irrelevant. Cheapo is in NY/NJ a completely different market. Though even there I think 12-16 is pretty high for entry level.
A better way to find the going rate in your area is to see what the local grunt jobs pay, like the fast food place, grocery store, car wash etc. Then offer a little more. Don't you have anu customers that have minimum wage jobs on their payroll? Ask them. Ot call you local temp labor place and ask how much it would cost to get a laborer for a day. They add a premium but they tell you what the guy gets paid.

Craig Sjoquist

Knows here in Orlando they expect full experience and not willing to pay a fair wage.
Entry level as little as $8 to $10 which is ok but then they will add on every part of the a job from simple grunt work to full design and installs plus customer communications with pay scale not increasing.

Of course also there not much sign advertising worth mentioning here either most that is came from somewhere else. so you get what you pay for...Ya get a good employee, good pay goes with it after trust has been recognized.

cdiesel

We start runners at the $9 mark. They have every chance to move up from there--they just have to possess the ability and desire.

btropical.com

Don't foot shoot ,give new workers minimum wage and ask for a 2 week get to know you and see if they fit .Then give them a bump . You might get a great worker or a pyscho know it all that babbles on and on with big words and explanations nobody cares or even understands with a bad work ethic .

TyrantDesigner

Art! Hot and fresh.
I would like to start anyone off at $12 an hour, but that would be for trained. Market for someone trained in this area normally starts around $10 an hour, and untrained but going into a position of more than just removal jocky is about $10 as well. Sadly as salmoneye probably knows ... in this area ... trained and good at that training is few and far between. I get people from Dallas who randomly come in to apply and they talk big, say they make $18 an hour ... and when you tell them to give weeding 4" tall chrome letters a try ... they blame their lack of weeding skill on the chrome and the font and not their lack of skill at weeding helvetica or impact. I like the idea of the minimum wage for 2 weeks, gives it a trial period for that person and us to decide if we are good fit ... probably would offer them a bit more (probably in the 8 range.)

Thanks guys, this was a lot of help.