• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

PDF file help

B Snyder

Is there a way to open a PDF file in Adobe Acrobat Pro (I have version 8) and re-save it with the text converted from fonts to outlines/paths/curves so that it can easily be imported into a vector graphics program? If not, is there another program that can do this?

vid

The Vector Doctor posted a tip for converting type to outlines in a PDF using Illustrator here.

It's one of my top five "Signs101 Tips and Tricks" - the Vector Doctor rocks for that one!

B Snyder

My question was:
Is there a way to open a PDF file in Adobe Acrobat Pro (I have version 8)
and
re-save it
with the text converted from fonts to outlines/paths/curves.

I know I can open the file in Acrobat Pro and I'm not asking anything about raster images.

Thanks Vid! I'll try this now. Seems like it would work.

TresL

Acrobat won't convert the fonts to outlines.
ILL or other vector program will.
I use ILL to convert to outlines & then save to a PDF and edit in Acrobat.
(helps save on PDF file size when creating forms)

B Snyder

Acrobat won't convert the fonts to outlines.
ILL or other vector program will.
I use ILL to convert to outlines & then save to a PDF and edit in Acrobat.
(helps save on PDF file size when creating forms)

Thanks TresL. The problem with this file is that the fonts are embedded and I don't have them on my system. So, when I try to bring the PDF into AI or CDR I'm asked for substitutes.

signage

Contact the client and have them convert the fonts to curves and resend it to you or tell them they will have to purchase the fonts for you,

S

Sign-Man Signs

The Vector Doctor posted a tip for converting type to outlines in a PDF using Illustrator here.

It's one of my top five "Signs101 Tips and Tricks" - the Vector Doctor rocks for that one!

Is the Vector Doctor the Man or what........:U Rock:

Rodan68

You can save the file as an eps file with the option convert fonts to outlines. This works most of the times. Make sure the eps looks like the original pdf before doing anything because sometimes the eps loses the transparencies, gradients, color space, etc.

B Snyder

You can save the file as an eps file with the option convert fonts to outlines. This works most of the times. Make sure the eps looks like the original pdf before doing anything because sometimes the eps loses the transparencies, gradients, color space, etc.

I don't have this option in Acrobat Pro v8. Are you referring to another program?

Rodan68

I don't know about version 8 but in version 7 Professional you can go to File,Save As, File Type eps and alter the settings. That's strange that version 8 wouldn't have this option.

B Snyder

Just finished using the vector doctor's method and it works perfectly! Thanks!

Rodan68 - No, I don't see an option to convert fonts to outlines in Acrobat Pro v8.

creative

Try opening the file with Photoshop, rasterize the file then you can save as an .eps, .jpg, .psd, open in corel, trace the file and you'll have the vector objects.

there might be easier ways but this one work in most, not all situations.

Bobby H

Arial Sucks.
Nah. To heck with opening the PDF in Photoshop and auto tracing.

The very best method to use is the one The Vector Doctor described. Placing the PDF and using the flatten transparency command/dialog in Adobe Illustrator yields perfect results.

Of course...you do need to own a recent version of Adobe Illustrator for the trick to work. CorelDRAW doesn't have a comparable feature and is pretty limited overall in how it can open/place PDFs.

Bobby H

Arial Sucks.
I forgot to add an important note.

The trick used to convert embedded fonts to outlines can also work on Illustrator files as well, but with an exception. The Illustrator files must be saved with PDF compatibility turned on. Something saved down to an early "legacy" version or saved from CS2 with the PDF feature unchecked will not work.