• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

pdf file that has vector and bitmap elements issue

gabagoo

I have Signlab 8 and received a pdf file that has bitmaps and vectors mixed. When I import the file a box opens asking me the resolution I want. When the file opens on screen it seems to be one bitmap and can't seem to find a way to separate the vector parts.

Now I also run an older version of Flexi photo shop 5, and when I import the file in there it comes in with 3 or 4 masks, but when I break them I can take the vector files and work with them.

I guess I am a little concerned that Signlab 8 which is about 4 years newer than the Flexi Photoprint 5 can't seem to deal with a file as easily as Flexi.....unless there is something in Signlab that I am unaware of to deal with this.

gabagoo

yes, they included a photo, but the rest of the file is all vectored lettering...so Signlab just treats the entire file like it is a bitmap and when the box opens asking for dpi settings to import the file, I guess it just turns the entire file into a bitmap....not good

I have Signlab 8 and received a pdf file that has bitmaps and vectors mixed. When I import the file a box opens asking me the resolution I want. When the file opens on screen it seems to be one bitmap and can't seem to find a way to separate the vector parts.

Now I also run an older version of Flexi photo shop 5, and when I import the file in there it comes in with 3 or 4 masks, but when I break them I can take the vector files and work with them.

I guess I am a little concerned that Signlab 8 which is about 4 years newer than the Flexi Photoprint 5 can't seem to deal with a file as easily as Flexi.....unless there is something in Signlab that I am unaware of to deal with this.

Can you save two files out from flexi. One with the bitmaps and one with the vectors. Open the vector one in signlab and then import the bitmaps one and just put them back together? PITA work around but should work right?

thewvsignguy

If you are just printing exactly the pdf, If it will open correctly as a pdf in Adobe Acrobat then just resize the image at 100% to start. Go up to Edit then down to "Take A Snapshot", Start at the upper right corner and copy the image and paste it as as a jpg. It will copy at different resolutions depending on the size you have in acrobat.

If you need the vectors, I'm of no help...

Attachments

• Acrobat Screen Shot.jpg
    Acrobat Screen Shot.jpg
    44.2 KB · Views: 185

gabagoo

Thank you for the responses..... I don't need help with the file, I know that Flexi does not seem to have a problem with it, so I open it there, dump the bitmap and export out as an eps file. I just find it odd that Flexi has no problem with the file and can even break the masks, yet Signlab8, which is about 4 or 5 years newer than Photoprint can't seem to deal with it. If it can, i need to know how.

myront

CorelDRAW is best
What about opening in acrobat pro and save out as eps? Not sure if it can be done with just reader though.

heyskull

I have Signlab 9.1 and have tried the new Signlab 10 Demo and can confirm that they are also useless for importing pdf's.
Even though the latest info on version 10 states that it will import these files with ease it doesn't.
They are also fairly useless at importing anything that had been created by an adobe program.
I have found that it is the various layers and specific fades and effects that signlab just cannot handle and just makes a mess of the import.
Also new Signlab 10 will now run as a 64 bit program but beware, I have found it to be slower than Signlab 9.1 which was a 32 bit program.

SC

gabagoo

I have Signlab 9.1 and have tried the new Signlab 10 Demo and can confirm that they are also useless for importing pdf's.
Even though the latest info on version 10 states that it will import these files with ease it doesn't.
They are also fairly useless at importing anything that had been created by an adobe program.
I have found that it is the various layers and specific fades and effects that signlab just cannot handle and just makes a mess of the import.
Also new Signlab 10 will now run as a 64 bit program but beware, I have found it to be slower than Signlab 9.1 which was a 32 bit program.

SC

Thanks Skull, I guess you have confirmed that it is an issue...One that for whatever reason Cadlink seems to ignore. I won't be upgrading anytime soon.

shoresigns

We deal with endless problems in PDF/EPS files here and have never found one that Illustrator couldn't handle. You need to know the software inside-out though.

GAC05

Quit buggin' me
We deal with endless problems in PDF/EPS files here and have never found one that Illustrator couldn't handle. You need to know the software inside-out though.
It's worth $20 a month just to have the latest Illustrator installed even if you just use it as a can opener for client's files.
It does have some nice tools once you get past the not so intuitive workflow issues.

wayne k
guam usa