• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Perf: What are you using?

grafixemporium

We have used Clear Focus ClassicVue 50/50 with Clear Shield liquid laminate (rolled on in 2 coats) pretty much exclusively for a few years now. It's the most cost effective option I've found. It doesn't last forever, but we've had ZERO problems with vinyl failure, curling, etc. The print will fade before anything else goes wrong. I've got storefronts that have been up for 3 years that still look good. Sure, there is some fading, but not bad.

What are you using for perf on vehicles?

Anyone using 3M IJ65 (calendared) with 8518 (cast)? That's an odd combination if you ask me, but it's apparently recommended by 3M. The IJ65 is a 6mil product. That's really thick. It seems like the overlam wouldn't even come close to the glass over the perforations. Doesn't this leave an ugly haze?

The 3M IJ8171 (cast) is just absurdly expensive. Who uses this? What window is so curved that it would require a cast vinyl perf?

SightLine

║▌║█║▌│║▌║▌█
Proveer house brand perf with Oracal 290GF. On vehicles just apply about 3/8" of primer around the edge of the glass before applying the perf, cut to the edge. Works perfect everytime and lasts for a couple of years with zero problems.

HulkSmash

We are also using clear focus, it's really the best for the money. We don't lam our perf, most customers prefer not to. It's hard to see out when it rains and what not. I've used proveers house brand, for non vehicle windows. It can't take as much beating as the clear focus. Honestly you can spend the money on the stupidly expensive 3M, and it still it's not going to last any longer then the clear focus...

LarryB

I use Solvex perf from Fellers and overlam with 3m 8518 gloss. No problems whatsoever and a lot cheaper than Clear Focus and 3m perf. Clarity is actually pretty good.

mgieske

We use Clear Focus with their Curvalam laminate. Only issue is noticeable squeegee marks that eventually dissipate. Sucks to explain to each customer at pickup. We did install some 3m perf for a printer some time ago (not sure if it was the pricey stuff.) It was the easiest install of lam perf ever. No marks and very conformable. Time to get some samples.

tsgstl

No lam or liquid lam seems really sketchy to me.
Having a soccer mom possibly behind the wheel toting around some little ones suddenly not be able to see but what is in front of her is something I wouldn't want to worry about everytime it rains.

Circleville Signs

No lam or liquid lam seems really sketchy to me.
Having a soccer mom possibly behind the wheel toting around some little ones suddenly not be able to see but what is in front of her is something I wouldn't want to worry about everytime it rains.

If you are putting perf on windshields you have bigger issues than this...

tsgstl

Maybe I phrased that kind of funny. I meant "only see what is in front of them"

Oh and a few passes with the heat gun will take out most squeegee marks.

Last edited:

mnapuran

Wow... no lam on perf? Cutting life in 1/2 or more, and no viability in rain, dirt getting in the perf, etc.

We use Oracal 3675 and Oraguard 290F. It might not be the "cheapest", but that's not what we sell.

ProWraps

Thanks for that enlightening response Chris.

No love people?

awe, im sorry bro. i was just playing with you.

im at a point where I do everything i can to steer the client away from perf.

its a worthless pile of crap product that fails leading to a loss of profit and an unhappy customer.

HulkSmash

awe, im sorry bro. i was just playing with you.

im at a point where I do everything i can to steer the client away from perf.

its a worthless pile of crap product that fails leading to a loss of profit and an unhappy customer.

I try really hard, but they all want that stuff with the holes where you can see out but not in.

4R Graphics

We use the Perf from Bigfish here on the forum and lam it with solvex optically clear have not had a problem yet. We did a little looking and to be honest couldnt justifiy the added cost for the big names lam as almost all of them have the same SHORT life.

Thanks Bigfish!

SightLine

║▌║█║▌│║▌║▌█
Maybe it's because we use primer at the edge but for the most part all the perf we install usually lasts at least 2 years or more. On vehicles we always apply about 3/8" of primer around the edge of the glass before installation and we trim it right at the edge of the glass. Also as mentioned earlier - we use Proveer house brand with Oracal 290GF lam.

BigfishDM

Merchant Member
We use the Perf from Bigfish here on the forum and lam it with solvex optically clear have not had a problem yet. We did a little looking and to be honest couldnt justifiy the added cost for the big names lam as almost all of them have the same SHORT life.

Thanks Bigfish!

I will put my perf against anything out there! My warranties are identical to the Clear Focus which most off brands dont have.