• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

PerfCutContour Settings

Hey All,

I normally do a regular cutcontour for our decals and then weed the excess and then hand cut the labels/decals into either sheets or singles (depending on use and qty) . I want to try and speed of the process and have the printer cut to shape and then peel them out of the media. Better presentation and I am thinking it will be easier & faster than cutting them individually.
I have tried the perfcutcontour option but I can never figure out the best cut settings and I am wondering what others use . I know each machine is going to be different but I am hoping to find at least a baseline to go off of. I am currently using a Roland xr-640 and Roland Versaworks rip software.

Any specs will help

Thanks

Not that long go there was a lengthy thread regarding perf cutting. Someone commented they don't use perf cut just kiss cut twice. I've used that method to make patterns for lettering and it works pretty well.
BTW I'm running a Summa.
I will give it a go and see what kind of results I get. and I have heard Summa cutters are the way to go so Ive been looking into those as well.

Joseph44708

I Drink And I Know Things
Im printing on two Roland xr640 and doing all my vinyl cutting on Graftec fc8600 and fc9000. Straight thru and Kiss cut, I dont ust the pref cut anymore its too slow.

Lindsey

Not A New Member
I CutContour & PerfCut on my Roland VersaCamm SP540-v often. It took a lot of trial & error to get the settings dialed in. And I still have some PeftCut failures from time to time. Every media & laminate combination is going to need different cut settings, so it's important to test before doing a big run. Some things that helped me along the way:

- Print an outline around the graphic that you can use as a guide to trim by hand, just in case the PerfCut doesn't work out well.

- 60° blade gave me better PerfCut results than a 45° blade.

- Use a sharp blade. Keep plenty of extra blades on-hand, as the PerfCut can wear them down easily or snap off the tip of the blade.

- Often my PerfCuts weren't cutting all the way thru, even on the highest blade force settings. They were close but not quite enough. I got better results extending the blade out of the blade holder a bit more than normal. Especially when cutting thicker materials. But keep in mind that if you extend the blade out, you'll probably need to lower the force for the regular contour cutting.

- It's helpful to set up the jobs so that all the CutContour cutting takes place first, then all the PerfCut cutting. For example, I have a job that is the same decal repeated in batches of 50. I used to send 1 copy of the file to versaworks and then tell versaworks to print qty. 50. What would happen is that it would CutContour 1 decal and PerfCut that same decal, and then move along to the next one. If the media skewed or the knife got dull before the job was finished, I would end up with a bunch of decals that never got contour cut at all. I've learned to set up my job so that it completes the CutContour of all 50 decals first, then comes back for the PerfCut.

- The cutting speed also plays a role. I go slow. It's a VersaCamm...so pretty much everything goes slow : )

- I set up jobs in small batches. It may waste a bit of media, but I don't have a take-up reel, and the weight of a long length of vinyl moving back & forth is enough to get the cutting off-track. Small print batches also helps make it hurt less when I screw up laminating.

Hope these tips help.

I CutContour & PerfCut on my Roland VersaCamm SP540-v often. It took a lot of trial & error to get the settings dialed in. And I still have some PeftCut failures from time to time. Every media & laminate combination is going to need different cut settings, so it's important to test before doing a big run. Some things that helped me along the way:

- Print an outline around the graphic that you can use as a guide to trim by hand, just in case the PerfCut doesn't work out well.

- Use a sharp blade. Keep plenty of extra blades on-hand, as the PerfCut can wear them down easily or snap off the tip of the blade.

- Often my PerfCuts weren't cutting all the way thru, even on the highest blade force settings. They were close but not quite enough. I got better results extending the blade out of the blade holder a bit more than normal. Especially when cutting thicker materials. But keep in mind that if you extend the blade out, you'll probably need to lower the force for the regular contour cutting.

- It's helpful to set up the jobs so that all the CutContour cutting takes place first, then all the PerfCut cutting. For example, I have a job that is the same decal repeated in batches of 50. I used to send 1 copy of the file to versaworks and then tell versaworks to print qty. 50. What would happen is that it would CutContour 1 decal and PerfCut that same decal, and then move along to the next one. If the media skewed or the knife got dull before the job was finished, I would end up with a bunch of decals that never got contour cut at all. I've learned to set up my job so that it completes the CutContour of all 50 decals first, then comes back for the PerfCut.

- The cutting speed also plays a role. I go slow. It's a VersaCamm...so pretty much everything goes slow : )

- I set up jobs in small batches. It may waste a bit of media, but I don't have a take-up reel, and the weight of a long length of vinyl moving back & forth is enough to get the cutting off-track. Small print batches also helps make it hurt less when I screw up laminating.

Hope these tips help.
this helps a ton. I would have never thought to change the blade degree. and yes I read the other thread and learned that each media is different and it seems the generic vinyls tend to be the worst at die cut stickers. It seems I will have to do a lot of trial and error on small batches. Thanks a bunch for you input :D

joelswork

So, I do a two stage cutting in flexi. Contour cut (kiss cut) and then I have the perf cut paused. I have all my designs within a box and those all get the contour cut. When that is done, the machine will pause, I do a quick weed, then hit “ok” and it perf cuts just the backing paper.

joelswork

So, I do a two stage cutting in flexi. Contour cut (kiss cut) and then I have the perf cut paused. I have all my designs within a box and those all get the contour cut. When that is done, the machine will pause, I do a quick weed, then hit “ok” and it perf cuts just the backing paper.
I do 2-4000 decals at a time in sets of 250. This really is the most efficient and professional looking I have been able to produce.

Bill DiStasio

Hey All,

I normally do a regular cutcontour for our decals and then weed the excess and then hand cut the labels/decals into either sheets or singles (depending on use and qty) . I want to try and speed of the process and have the printer cut to shape and then peel them out of the media. Better presentation and I am thinking it will be easier & faster than cutting them individually.
I have tried the perfcutcontour option but I can never figure out the best cut settings and I am wondering what others use . I know each machine is going to be different but I am hoping to find at least a baseline to go off of. I am currently using a Roland xr-640 and Roland Versaworks rip software.

Any specs will help

Thanks
I do our labels everyday the way you are describing above. I set my first cut -.001 which helps avoid seeing any white on the label. My second cut is at .051 and is the perf-cut which worked great. It generally works great with all software. After I remove the .15 in vinyl around the edge which allows for a place to pull the label away from the backing without messing up the vinyl.

swarnes

Hope these tips help.
Hi how do you set versa to contour then do the perf? Thanks

briankb

Premium Subscriber
I would like to know this as well. How are you getting VersaWorks to contour cut all labels first then doing perf? My only thought was you have to run it as two different jobs. But it would be ideal if it would just do all of the CutContours before then doing perf without a break.