• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Permits for Window Signage

soloinstaller

Premium Subscriber
Hello everybody, I was wondering how you guys handle permits for applying window signage/perforated films. I'm located in Canada and in my city, there is a requirement for a building permit when a window sign covers more than 50% of the window... so if I am installing a full sized perforated film I will have to apply for a building permit? this can take up to a month and seems like it could be detrimental to business. What do you guys think?

soloinstaller

Premium Subscriber
You already know what the requirements are. What do we think about what...? Are you asking if we think you should try to avoid getting a permit?
No not at all, just trying to generate some conversation to decide if I should limit my installs to non-permit situations. I'm just starting out and was thinking this wouldn't be too good of a situation for me if I miss out on a sale because a customer doesn't want to wait for the permit

soloinstaller

Premium Subscriber
If you use 50/50 perf, your only covering 50% of the window. So... Maybe you don't need one.
Wait, I don't know if you're joking or serious. That seems legit to me. Gonna call the city tomorrow...

"Window signs, unless such signs occupy more than 50% of a window surface (calculated between the mullions) on any façade of the principal building in which case they are treated as a fascia sign."

Boudica

Back to "educational purposes"
A little of both. It made sense to me, but I don't know anything. Is the reason for the permit to ensure that you can see in, or out?

Moze

Clever ask, but the intent of restricting graphics to a certain percentage of the window is to limit how busy storefronts look and to maintain a certain anesthetic. I highly doubt they're going to take into account the hole-to-material ratio.

Moze

A little of both. It made sense to me, but I don't know anything. Is the reason for the permit to ensure that you can see in, or out?

It typically boils down to anesthetics. As ridiculous as it sounds, many municipalities also restrict signage inside the building, within so many feet of a storefront window.

Geneva Olson

Expert Storyteller
Hello everybody, I was wondering how you guys handle permits for applying window signage/perforated films. I'm located in Canada and in my city, there is a requirement for a building permit when a window sign covers more than 50% of the window... so if I am installing a full sized perforated film I will have to apply for a building permit? this can take up to a month and seems like it could be detrimental to business. What do you guys think?
We make the customer get the permits. Then they can come back to us when it's complete.

Moze

No not at all, just trying to generate some conversation to decide if I should limit my installs to non-permit situations. I'm just starting out and was thinking this wouldn't be too good of a situation for me if I miss out on a sale because a customer doesn't want to wait for the permit

I wouldn't necessarily pass on the job. Explain the process and see if they're interested. If not, move on. If they're dishonest about the permit procedure, that same lack of honesty/ethics might bite you when it's time to get paid.

Billct2

They tried to restrict it here, but it was unenforceable. What if a store has a bunch of advertising posters that cover more than 50%, are they going to make them get a permit?

Gino

Premium Subscriber
They do in all the municipalities around here and 1/2 size has nothing to do with it. It all goes towards the finished overall allowance. Paper posters, clings, cardboard..... anything you hang in a window is counted and nothing about temporary signs is allowed. It all goes towards the code allowances. Do people ignore it ?? Yep, all the time, but if they're reported, they get told and then fines a second.

Scotchbrite

No comment
Around here it was the police department pushing for the limited window coverage because they want to be able to see into the store in the case of some nefarious activity going on in the store. Our rule is 25%.

White Haus

Not a Newbie
Wait, I don't know if you're joking or serious. That seems legit to me. Gonna call the city tomorrow...

"Window signs, unless such signs occupy more than 50% of a window surface (calculated between the mullions) on any façade of the principal building in which case they are treated as a fascia sign."

Is this a new rule? We've done lots of store-front window wraps and have never heard of this being something that a permit is required for.

soloinstaller

Premium Subscriber
Is this a new rule? We've done lots of store-front window wraps and have never heard of this being something that a permit is required for.
Hey there White Haus, good to see another Winnipegger (Winterpegger) on here.

"A Building Permit is required for all signs, with the exception of:

Window signs, unless such signs occupy more than 50% of a window surface (calculated between the mullions) on any façade of the principal building in which case they are treated as a fascia sign."

Maybe I'm interpreting this wrong? Not too sure...

White Haus

Not a Newbie
I just had a look at it too, and there is no mention of vinyl graphics, just "signs". And from what I can see, you even need engineer stamped drawings in some cases?!

I would like to think that they're not considering vinyl graphics as a "sign", but who knows. They may have finally fallen off their rockers.

Have you called the city and asked for clarification?

soloinstaller

Premium Subscriber
I just had a look at it too, and there is no mention of vinyl graphics, just "signs". And from what I can see, you even need engineer stamped drawings in some cases?!

I would like to think that they're not considering vinyl graphics as a "sign", but who knows. They may have finally fallen off their rockers.

Have you called the city and asked for clarification?
Been a busy day so not yet, probably tomorrow. Hopefully I'll be able to get some clarification!