• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Perspective

James Burke

Being a grandpa is more fun than working
I see a lot of headstones over the course of a year's time and I usually wonder about the people they represent.

Typically, I see the usual laser etching of a car, a dog or perhaps even the deceased's business. It surely isn't like the days of long ago.

Anyway, I saw this one last year while setting a stone in a small rural cemetery, and I can honestly say that the epitaph is one of the best I've ever seen.

In its day, this memorial would have been very costly and and considered quite fancy for this small cemetery. He must have been one heck of a guy to have family and friends think so highly of him.

It states "His real monument is in the lives of those he blessed".

Now that's something to strive for.

Jim

Attachments

• Clark.JPG
    Clark.JPG
    140.2 KB · Views: 99

James Burke

A lot of older stones are that way. I think they anticipated adding more text later.

SignosaurusRex

A lot of older stones are that way. I think they anticipated adding more text later.

Looking at the pic,That makes absolutely no friggin sense. A flat out drunken lazy headstone mason might be more realistic or believable. I'm inclined to think that it had more to do with some sort of mechanical limitations. Now that the question has been asked...
why wouldn't they center all the text on something like that? just curious.
I too would like to know the real reason.

mikey-Oh

rex and dbenec have an excellent point. also i assume only napoleon was inscription worthy? no beloved mother and/or golddigger for ann?

... still like the idea behind the text

Techman

she passed long after he did. Likely she didn't have relatives around to give her an inscription.

Jillbeans

It's a nice sentiment on a very typical late 19th century headstone.
I consider myself to be slightly in the know when it comes to cemeteries.
Because I grew up beside one, I've always liked them and no matter where I go, if I see one, I stop and look.
I'm a taphophile from way back.
It always feels to me that when you are looking at a person's headstone even by just reading their name they live again for a few seconds.
Here are a couple I like from my travels.
The first is from St Andrews cemetery in Scotland, and uses the archaic Long S in the phrase.
The others are from a cemetery near Plymouth Mass.
I like to look down at grass level, sometimes you have to peel back a bit of turf, to see the maker's mark at the bottom of the stone.
Thanks for sharing this one.
And it's true, the family may not have had the funds to add anything other than the death date of the Mrs.
The off-center thing is probably just typical for that particular stone mason, check to see if there are others like it in the same cemetery.
My faves are the one with skulls and hourglasses on them.
I believe that death is just another stage of life, and that nobody ever truly dies.
Love.....Jill

Attachments

• jane.jpg
    jane.jpg
    256.4 KB · Views: 76
  • pond4.jpg
    pond4.jpg
    156.4 KB · Views: 76
  • pondlottie.jpg
    pondlottie.jpg
    172.3 KB · Views: 87

zmatalucci

I would probably guess a "Drunken Carver" that made a lot of mistakes did this. Not too many like that in this neck of the woods.
JB- Check out this stone that I have to "Beat". It's the largest stone in the cemetery (for now), and I have been tasked with creating one that is much larger. God I love these jobs!!!

Attachments

• match.jpg
    match.jpg
    67.6 KB · Views: 85

James Burke

Zeth, I like the elements on the rooftop. Looks like you've got your work cut out for you.