• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Pf Motor Jerky On Mutoh 1614

Graphics2u

Anyone ever had trouble with the Page Feed motor on a Mutoh? About a month ago I started to notice a thumping sound when advancing media through he printer. Then one day I noticed about 1 inch wide strips across the print that I could definitely see the wave pattern. These areas would show up about every 8-10" throughout the print. I fiddled around with it for a while and pretty soon it was good again. Gradually gotten worse and I realized the thumping noises I heard was associated with the media jumping a little bit, which led me to the PF Motor. I've ordered a motor that will be here tomorrow, but wondered if anyone else has had this issue? I know it could be the Encoder or sensor, but I had a cutter once that had a similar issue and it turned out to be the motor, so I'm starting there.

Thanks for any insight you can provide.

Attachments

• PF.jpg
    PF.jpg
    317.2 KB · Views: 350

Solventinkjet

DIY Printer Fixing Guide
The PF encoder disc is dirty or damaged. I have run into this many times as a tech. Take the left cover off the machine and it will expose a clear plastic disc. Clean the disc with as lint free of a cloth you have and rubbing alcohol. You just want to get the dust and any grease off of it. Do not scrub hard. Cleaning it usually does the trick but there could also be damage/scratching on it which would require a replacement.

GAC05

Quit buggin' me
I think VJ has the right answer - but if it does not clear up after cleaning the encoder check the platen to make sure there is no adhesive stuck there.
I was printing close to the end of a roll of vinyl and for some reason there was a tape strip stuck to the backer about 2 feet in from the end. Normally there is just one on the edge holding the material to the core. The glue strip went through - the glue transferred to the hot platen and the feed started to thump & jerk. Wouldn't feed correctly until I got the glue residue out of there.

wayne k
guam usa

heyskull

+1 for the encoder disc clean.
I have also found that their can be a build up of adhesive on the black media hold down guides either side of the platen.
These are easily removed by taking out the two screws and removing the stop plate on the left hand side.
I find glue from the adhesive on the vinyl can build up over time and actually drag on the material causing extra strain on the motor.

SC

FatCat

Had this exact thing happen to me a few years ago with our 1604 - thumping noise, wavy stripes every 18-20" or so, VJ is spot on, definitely the encoder wheel.