• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Photography Logo

Here are a couple logos I designed for a friend who is starting a photography business. She's not sure which one she wants to go with but she likes the second one a little better at the moment. Which do you guys like more and why? And what sucks about them?

Attachments

• Logo 3 copy.jpg
    Logo 3 copy.jpg
    59.2 KB · Views: 91
  • Logo 4 copy.jpg
    Logo 4 copy.jpg
    66.3 KB · Views: 79

neato

They both look really good! Pleasing to the eye.

Is the lens effect in the R on the second one supposed to represent something?

They both look really good! Pleasing to the eye.

Is the lens effect in the R on the second one supposed to represent something?

Thanks, Neato. The top of the R is supposed to represent a camera lens and the swoosh underneath the lettering is supposed to give the impression of a camera laying there. Kinda like an old 1950's SLR camera. Maybe it's too much?

Maybe this close up will better convey what I was trying to do with the R. I think it might look better had I rendered it from an actual photo of a camera lens taken at that angle with the right lighting, but i sorta pulled this out of my *** instead.

Attachments

• Logo 4 close up.jpg
    Logo 4 close up.jpg
    128.3 KB · Views: 71

Her quote to me is that she thinks the first one may be too masculine and she prefers the femininity of the second logo. I have to agree with her that it may be too artsy and chiseled considering the majority of her client base will be seeking wedding photography and family portraits.

formanek

Her quote to me is that she thinks the first one may be too masculine and she prefers the femininity of the second logo. I have to agree with her that it may be too artsy and chiseled considering the majority of her client base will be seeking wedding photography and family portraits.

I don't see that at all. I think she may be thinking too much into what clients would think about the logo. Personally I don't see the second option as a photography logo. When you mentioned what the P was supposed to support I get it, but without you saying that I would not have. Logos to me should not have to be interpreted. Clean and to the point. #1 is perfect. Furthermore the masculine thing.... men pay for the wedding too. :)
:rock-n-roll:

skyhigh

I like them both. I lean towards the left, but something about the lens "glare" that seems to be off. Perhaps tone it down a bit.
just my 2cents.

qmr55

The simplicity of the text on #1 doesn't go with the futuristic icon accompanied with it. I think the second one fits the application much better minus the lens effect.

neato

I agree with visual. I think you could analize these to death, but they both work great as a logo.

I like the subtlety of the lens in the second one. The name already has PHOTOGRAPHY in it, so you can be subtle.

Marlene

post #13 looks good. maybe get rid of the thing in the "R" as it will be lost on most people and let the lens on the left be the special effect.

I think I would tend to submit a logo to the customer on whatever background goes with the mood or feel of the design. Since I'm very new to logo design and sign making in general I could use whatever advice you have, however. My thought was something that has or should have a sort of elegant feel to it goes well on black. Much as a pool service or cleaning service logo may look more presentable on white, a welding shop better on grey, or a restaurant on yellow or red.

What Marlene said. Lose the effects in the R and you have a winner.
Love....Jill

Doh! But I like the lens thingy. However, it would seem that some people's eyes may not catch right on to it. I know mine do because I'm the one designing it, but if others don't get it, then perhaps a lot of people won't and I should just take your advice and stick with the basics, plain script lettering with no gimmicks. Thanks for the advice. Hopefully I can get more insight into whether it works or not from a few others. I'm really uncertain at this point.