• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Photoshop > Omega > Edge II ?

Signsforwhile

I am working on one of my first full color truck lettering jobs. I have designed a logo for a customer in photoshop and need to print it on my edgeII. I am unsure of what the best way to export it from pshop is to omega, because when I do it prints out extrememly grainy and looks horrible. The image needs to be about ~28" x ~11". At what resolution and what format should i export it and is there anything I need to do once i get it into omega?

Oliviericopy.jpg

Thanks in advance! :thumb:

Fred Weiss

Merchant Member
The resolution (dpi) is irrelevant. Your image size should be created initially at about 1100 x 2800 pixels. That will provide enough pixels per inch (ppi) for the Omega RIP to give you an very nice print.

Once you bring the image into Composer, select it and set the halftone type (in the Image Fill Dialog) to STC Photo and set the LPI to 70. A lage enough image and appropriate halftone/lpi settings will eliminate the graininess. If you are concerned about how it looks on screen, be aware that you are only looking at a thumbnail representation of the image which can be set to several different dsplay levels to save file sizes from getting too large. That image has nothing to do with the quality of what will actually print.

I get the best looking results, color-wise, by saving out of Photoshop in RGB color mode with most any of the available RGB profiles and then output to the Edge using the Gerber Edge II CMYK 300 DPI output profile. You can use JPG, PNG, BMP format out of Photoshop with good results. I usually use JPG at a max quality setting of 12 and never resave it.

Fred Weiss

Merchant Member
Yes but I would get the cutpath created and aligned to the image at the size created first, then select both and group them before moving or resizing.

What is the pixel dimensions of your original image file? Did you start from vectors? Do you have a vector cutpath?

iSign

I'd make a light greyscale file of the highlight/shadow qualities of the beveled text... then print the job with spot silver & a lighter red. Then I would make the rastor image of the greyscale shading into a spotblack print set as an overprint & set my other vector black panels & outlines as overprint as well (to save foils) This way you get less "grainyness" but maintain the 3D loook.

Maybe a llittle more complex then I make it sound, but worth experimenting with. For a building sign, process print grainyness is more tolerable... as seen from a distance... but on truck doors, they get seen up close quite often, especially by the owner... every day!

Jeizzavelle

How do I export?

I need to export a PDF file into Omega and it keeps saying it can't read it. I am trying to do ao logo and the only reasonable way I will bea able to do the thing is to import it into composer as a usable vector image cause it's Garfield and I have to do it in vinyl. It is the local phone co. and they have permission to use the image. No worries.

Jeizzavelle

E-mail attatchment

It is in PDF I am retarded. I need step by step. I am using Adobe Acrobat to view it. I have no clue.
ETA: It was sent as an e-mail attatchment. It is going on a baseball sign (30x30) at the local ball field.

Last edited:

Jeizzavelle

Ok, got the e-mail but I tried to open it and it crashed composer. 3 times. BUT I REALLY appreciate your help.

And here's a laugh for you. I am supposed to cut that out of vinyl and lay it on the sign. By hand. :tongue:

:thankyou:

Jeizzavelle

Shovelhead I just wanted to thank you again for trying to help me. I really appreciate it. And I feel like a dummy for wasting your time. But if I can get that file usable the image should be better than the bitmap image that I had. If I can actually see the image (instead of a bunch of blurry squares) it makes a lot of differance. (as you probably already know) Just, thank-you.

Shovelhead

The image that you sent me........

is 2" x 3.25" @ 300dpi..............
if you are printing at full scale that's more than adequate resolution for this application.
Obviously, vectored artwork would be preferrable.

Jeizzavelle

I am not printing it. I have to cut it out of vinly and lay it on the sign. We don't have a printer. I appreciate all your help. I got the image in there and have nearly perfect lines. A few minutes of adjustment and we'll be all set.

The image is going on a white 30x30 blank in the local ball field. The fence is lined with similar signs from all the sponsors. We are (thanks to the VP) trying to get into more creative signs instead of just one way, road construction....blah. Thanks for all the help. You're a sweetie.