• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Picking Up Mutoh Falcon Outdoor.. Need Help!!

Slack11

I'm gonna pick up a used 48" Falcon Outdoor next week and need some suggestions. I know next to nothing about these machines, I've strictly been doing layered vinyl for a few years now, but I'm looking forward to trying the "digital world" (with all the frustrations that come with it)

Fron what I gathered this unit has been sitting since Dec. and has not been in operation. It isn't hooked up to a computer, so I'm assuming running a test job won't be able to happen.

My question is this. Without the printer being hooked up, are there tests, cleans, nozzle checks etc. That I can run in the printer that will ensure that everything is ok with this unit? I'm just real nervous of overlooking something before I buy and getting something that will be a huge headache. One more thing, This will need to be converted to the new inks, so I'll have to order and install that kit.

Any help would be hugely appreciated, just things to look for, or tests to run to make sure it's all allright.

Thanks in advance, I'm hoping that some of you "guru's" can point me in the right direction.

anthony smith

Most solvent base printers that have been sitting for any time unless it
was flushed out properly by a tech the heads are more than likely
ruined sounds like i would call company and speak to a tech we run
mimaki and they can not be unplug for any long periods are the heads
are history

Rickey J

Printer

Slack,
I am not a printer wiz byy any means but I have seen some rebuild kits on the net for $600-$700 depending on the size of the machine. I am not sure how easy it would be to rebuild but if the printer that your buying is priced right and you are ok with buying a rebuild kit. Go for it. As for as more info. on these printers look back at some posts. Some Guys on here really know there stuff.

We would be asking why it was taken out of service, and what method was used to store it.

Second, it does not take long to connect the machine and run it - you could even do that with a laptop if you were so inclined. The reason we say this is that without seeing the machine actually run, and unless you are getting it for a song, WE would have to assume that the machine is dead.

Third, unless it is from a reputable person on this board or someone that you truly know, DO NOT believe anything that is said about the seller standing behind the machine. The only other exception would be if promises were in writing and in the same jurisdiction as you - making it a bit easier for recourse.

Parts can get expensive quickly.

bullcrew

I'm gonna pick up a used 48" Falcon Outdoor next week and need some suggestions. I know next to nothing about these machines, I've strictly been doing layered vinyl for a few years now, but I'm looking forward to trying the "digital world" (with all the frustrations that come with it)

Fron what I gathered this unit has been sitting since Dec. and has not been in operation. It isn't hooked up to a computer, so I'm assuming running a test job won't be able to happen.

My question is this. Without the printer being hooked up, are there tests, cleans, nozzle checks etc. That I can run in the printer that will ensure that everything is ok with this unit? I'm just real nervous of overlooking something before I buy and getting something that will be a huge headache. One more thing, This will need to be converted to the new inks, so I'll have to order and install that kit.

Any help would be hugely appreciated, just things to look for, or tests to run to make sure it's all allright.

Thanks in advance, I'm hoping that some of you "guru's" can point me in the right direction.

They arent bad to replace stuff, I just did my capping/pump/heads and dampers as well as aligned it and its not that hard as long as your mechanically inclined. I can strip it done and repalce the heads in about 1/2 hour complete. I can swap dampers and pumps quick as well, once you crack it open you realize how stupid simple the 48 falcons are. Great machines I love mine.:thumb:

Bogie

How much did you pay for it?

I got lucky. I paid $1500 for my Falcon 38 (vendor quit carrying mutoh, and this was their demo), and it's really had minimal problems. Try running the thing with a few cleaning cartridges. Worse comes to worse, unless there are major board or "thing has been dropped" issues, you're looking at about $650 and a few hours of learning how to cuss while you replace stuff...

With a deal like this, and mine actually works pretty well, I can run it a bit, and a half-dozen banners and a half-case of cold frosty beverage will get it rebuilt...

Maybe the 48s are a bit better designed - I hate having to take the control panel apart to get the sheet metal off on the 38...

Look on ebay for imprintech.

Derf

I have a Falcon 48.. and a new VJ-1204 The falcon is a good printer HOWEVER you will need to learn to rebuild it every 6-9 months to keep the heads in good shape.

if the one you are buying has been sitting as you say it will need a total rebuild more than likely

2 New print heads
6 Dampers
6 Damper O-rings
1 Maintenance Station (Pump, Wiper, Capping station and motor with gears)
6 new Ink lines
1 Spittoon drain hose

I would assume the worst and plan on an over haul.

There is a maintenance manual that is OK and there is a Head alignment manual too that is better for just the print head replacement.

Mine is apart as much as it is together. once you learn how to fix them it's not bad... However if it is your only printer it can get stressful

I would recommend buying a new Value jet if you have the money but if you have the time and want a printer then is not too bad.

Slack11

Thanks for all the info so far..
The guy said he had this running for about two years, and going back to school he quit the sign business. I am basically considering the printheads dead, and am assuming I will be purchasing a rebuild kit for this when I get this. Could I be safe to assume that if this powers up, runs through the way it should, but does not print, that it is allright other than needing the rebuild kit?

By the way that $1500 printer that you got was a hell of a deal. This printer has the mutoh rip software with the printer and he is asking $4200. I figure with the rebuild kit and the conversion kit to the new inks I'll be in the ballpark of $5200 when I'm all said and done. That sound like a decent deal? It sounds fair to me, but I'm too "green" in this area to know any better.

Again, thanks for the advice so far, this place has helped me out a ton.

Slack11

Another thing I jsut thought of, is there a test print mode on the printer that can be run without sending a job? (seems like there has to be.)

randya

There is a nozzle check funtion that does NOT need a computer hooked up to it.
It could tell you a lot.

It sounds like it has Eco-Plus inks in it, depending on the nozzle check of course, sitting since December count on a maintanance station, new heads, dampers.....

Bradster941

Another thing I jsut thought of, is there a test print mode on the printer that can be run without sending a job? (seems like there has to be.)

Yes, hold down the upper right button, then press the button under it. It will print a color bar.

Flame

By letting it sit for 6-8 months, they have probably ruined that large investment they made. Sitting idle is one of the worst things for a printer, even 2 weeks is kind of rough on it. 8 months.... whew..... count on the heads being shot, the capping station no good, all the lines cracked..... you name it.

Run a few test prints and see what happens, if it prints fine with no banding, you got lucky.

Also, check inside the capping station (where the head sits when it's idle, you have to move the head to see in there). Look at all the feed lines with a flashlight, and see if you can see any broken ones. This is crucial, replace any that are worn or possibly broken.

If nothing else, you'll have to run some cleanings before you run a test print. Pour a capful of denatued alchohol into the very first white pad by the capping station (not the ones with the colors on them in the back, the perfectly square one that's more to your left). Then hold down the "cleaning" button for 2-3 seconds, and it will start a cleaning cycle. After your run 2 of those, try the test print.

Cy Fan

I would recomend before doing a complete overhaul of ther printer try the small things first. If the ink is still in the lines try a few power clean cycles, who knows you may get lucky and that is all it needs. Most likly that won't happen. Then try cleaning the lines with the cleaning fluid, and refilling the the lines with the ultra inks, then resort to replacing parts, like the dampers, ink lines, maintinance station, and heads.

Graphics2u

i would shop around a bit

Thanks for all the info so far..
The guy said he had this running for about two years, and going back to school he quit the sign business. I am basically considering the printheads dead, and am assuming I will be purchasing a rebuild kit for this when I get this. Could I be safe to assume that if this powers up, runs through the way it should, but does not print, that it is allright other than needing the rebuild kit?

By the way that $1500 printer that you got was a hell of a deal. This printer has the mutoh rip software with the printer and he is asking $4200. I figure with the rebuild kit and the conversion kit to the new inks I'll be in the ballpark of $5200 when I'm all said and done. That sound like a decent deal? It sounds fair to me, but I'm too "green" in this area to know any better.

Again, thanks for the advice so far, this place has helped me out a ton.

The price is a little high for a printer that you have no idea what shape it's in. You can find printers like this for the same or less money that are currently running. I just sold a 38" in excellent shape for 3600.00.

If you could pick it up for 2000.00 that would be one thing but not the price he's asking. Because it will take some work after sitting that long.

Slack11

Thanks to all who replied. I decided to scratch this idea, and I am buying a Outdoor Jr. that has been under service contract and maintained very well. Starting out I don't want a headache trying to get the printer just to work. This guy also is supplying all sorts of profiles, software, and more importantly know how to get me going. Replacing all sorts of parts right off the bat made me a little nervous.

Thought it would be better to play it safe....

Color Dude

If you get caught up in an area with the printer that you need help with, shoot me an email, I will be glad to give you help. I know these machines like the back of my hand. I can troubleshoot and perform full service on these machines.

Slack11

Color Dude,
I appreciate the offer, I'll most likely be asking you a few questions as I get this thing up and running. Makes this whole endeavor into the "digital" world a little bit easier when you know there are people that are willing to help someone new.

Thanks again,

Nate

signpost

Changing the Mait. Station on Falcon 48

I just got a new Maint. Station for my Falcon Outdoor 48. Had problems with it printing good and some of the lines where not filling with ink. Mutoh tech. said to change Maint. Station. How hard is it to change? This is my first time at working on it. Do i need to do a head wash after I change it?