• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Plug in filters for Photoshop CS5 recommendations?

threeputt

I'm seeking opinions on software that will allow special effects such as chrome, brushed metal, shiny gold, etc.

Not fills, but filters.

I have EyeCandy 5 by Alien Skin but it won't run on my new 64 bit machine. Is there something better than EC5?

The features I'd like are:

1) Ease of use.
2) Easy to load and access.
3) Good variety and functional adjustments.

Ursta Graphics

Filter Forge? I use it ... has some nice features. Definitely like my eye candy and xenofex better though. I still use my eye candy 5 in ps cs5 on my 64 bit machine???

Fred Weiss

Merchant Member
You might want to explore Filter Forge. It's primarily known for its seamless texture tile capabilities but it also includes more than 4000 free special effect filters ... some of which you mentioned. It has a short learning curve as compared to Eye Candy but is a lot more powerful.

I haven't tried 64 bit but my understanding is that it is 64 bit compatible.

It is both a plugin for Photoshop and a stand alone program.

Jim Doggett

Also, when is too much, too much? In graphic communication, crisp beats effects-overload, IMO. Example, from AlienSkin home page. There's 3 EyeCandy eyes on the page. Which one pops, even close-up? (from a distance, effects are merfely blurs) My $0.02.

Attachments

• no_candy.jpg
    no_candy.jpg
    55.1 KB · Views: 109

threeputt

Fred, is that what you used to apply the effects to your seamless texture tiles, particularly Chain 01, 02, 03, etc? (volume 2 of your texture tiles disk)

Those are impressive effects.

threeputt

Also, when is too much, too much? In graphic communication, crisp beats effects-overload, IMO. Example, from AlienSkin home page. There's 3 EyeCandy eyes on the page. Which one pops, even close-up? (from a distance, effects are merfely blurs) My $0.02.

Agreed. Effects are sometimes (quite often) overdone.

The project I have before me, is a specific client request.

Fred Weiss

Merchant Member
Fred, is that what you used to apply the effects to your seamless texture tiles, particularly Chain 01, 02, 03, etc? (volume 2 of your texture tiles disk)

Those are impressive effects.

They were done in Filter Forge but from a library texture filter with a transparent background. The chains are computer generated without a source image. Here's a link to gold chain filters. Each of the filters shown is capable of near infinite variations to the shape, colors and other aspects of the image.

Try their free download. It's full featured and runs for 30 days. They also have a forum very helpful filter artists.

SignBurst PCs

Don't these all run in the x86 version of PS, even on 64 bit machines?

Randy, you are correct. You can't use the older Alien Skin in the 64 Bit Photoshop, but you can use it in the 32 Bit Photoshop, even on a 64 Bit machine. I know that sounds confusing, but it isn't.

When you install Photoshop CS4 or CS5 on 64 Bit Windows, you get both a 32 Bit and 64 Bit version of Photoshop. The old Alien Skin will work only in the 32 Bit Photoshop.

VinylLabs.com

I don't know, never used plugins. Last time I used xenofex (spelling?) was when it came out, but it was too tacky even then :(

Fred Weiss

Merchant Member
For anyone interested here is a FREE download of Filter Forge from CNET:

http://download.cnet.com/Filter-Forge-Freepack-2-Photo-Effects/3000-18498_4-10915754.html

FREE is always GOOD:rock-n-roll:
There are five Freepacks available and all can be downloaded from this page.

Freepacks are free Photoshop plugins based on the Filter Forge technology. Each freepack is centered around a different theme. Freepacks are distributed free of charge and don't have any time limitations. All filters included in the freepacks are also available from the Filter Library, so users of commercial Filter Forge can benefit from them as well.

phototec

There are five Freepacks available and all can be downloaded from this page.

Freepacks are free Photoshop plugins based on the Filter Forge technology. Each freepack is centered around a different theme. Freepacks are distributed free of charge and don't have any time limitations. All filters included in the freepacks are also available from the Filter Library, so users of commercial Filter Forge can benefit from them as well.

Thanks Fred, these are great! :goodpost: