• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Pontoon Boats

rjssigns

Question of the day:

Why do people selling their pontoon boats keep the trailer?

All the ads I've ever looked at don't include the trailer.(been looking since last year)

Yet you go to the dealer to buy a pontoon boat and it includes the trailer.o_O

Are they that valuable a commodity? Better investment than gold, silver or the stock market?

Best one was yesterday's Craigslist ad. Couple is retiring, moving to Florida and selling all their stuff including a pontoon boat...that doesn't include the trailer.:confused:

Stacey K

I like making signs
We JUST had this conversation! LOL Per my Dad who has a pontoon and no trailer...9/10 people don't have pontoon trailers.

1. they are very expensive ($2000+)
2. people who own pontoons typically put it in the water at thier cottage and do not take it out for the season. Those that go lake hopping have a trailer.
3. they are very large and bulky to store for the summer, thus saving on storage space/money for the summer
4. you can rent them from the dealership for $50-60 2 times per year vs. storing and buying one
5. you can store a pontoon on the ground vs. a boat which has to have a trailer

My dad uses his friends trailer and they guy has several people that also use it.

rjssigns

We JUST had this conversation! LOL Per my Dad who has a pontoon and no trailer...9/10 people don't have pontoon trailers.

1. they are very expensive ($2000+)
2. people who own pontoons typically put it in the water at thier cottage and do not take it out for the season. Those that go lake hopping have a trailer.
3. they are very large and bulky to store for the summer, thus saving on storage space/money for the summer
4. you can rent them from the dealership for $50-60 2 times per year vs. storing and buying one
5. you can store a pontoon on the ground vs. a boat which has to have a trailer

My dad uses his friends trailer and they guy has several people that also use it.

Thanks for chiming with good points I didn't think of. Folks selling the boat but keeping the trailer must be renting them out. Still weird as every other boat except for a pontoon comes with a trailer.

I'll keep looking. Going to run out to Chickenshack Road this week and look at a couple boats rotting away in the weeds.

Jeremiah

Stacey is right . I bought a pontoon with no trailer. Tried to buy a trailer . It was too expensive. I rented one then got frustrated with the process and sold my pontoon with no trailer . Let someone else deal with the trailer issue. My neighbor bought a trailer for 2800.00 that's crazy .

unclebun

Here, most people never buy the trailer. The dealer delivers the boat (Or they just drive it home from the dealer) and they keep it in their dock and it never leaves the lake.

rjssigns

Learning a lot about pontoon trailers. Unreal to hear a pontoon trailer costs 2800 bucks when I can buy a used fishing/ski boat with trailer for that.

Maybe I need to rethink the pontoon program.

GAC05

Quit buggin' me
You could save by making the boat. I made one out of 55 gal steel drums many years ago for a charity race out & back to a small island about a mile offshore. It did really well until it became a unidirectional submarine. We were only beaten by one of the parks and rec managers that just duct tapped 2 of his sailboats together and called it handmade.

woolly

from the uk so had to look up pontoon boat, i can see the attraction of stability and use in shallow water but they are ugly

BUCKY

Pontoon boats are for old people... they like to trot around a lake and don't care what it looks like.
Those days are long gone. If your Pontoon (now Tri-Toons) doesn't have a 250-300 hp engine, ski pole and a trailer to drag it all over you are missing the boat.
The target customer is those who live life on payments, not the people who want to putt around with a 25 hp engine. Buying a $50,000 plus Toon is the "In Thing" now days.
Right up there with buying those ridiculously overpriced wake boats. Funny thing is 95% of people spend all that money and drive them right to the sand bar where they sit there all day.
They get back in at the end of the day and drive right back to the launch. I just don't get it.

rjssigns

Pontoon boats are for old people... they like to trot around a lake and don't care what it looks like.

That's me. We rent pontoons from time to time. Easy to board especially for the dog. Can also take a grill and cooler. Truth is there are other boats I'd love to have but are impractical for relaxing or using as a dive platform.
The list: Sanger picklefork, Eliminator tunnel hull, anything Donzi, or a V8 jet sprint boat. Mandatory equipment on the Sanger would be a blown big block with over the transom headers.

If I win the lottery I would buy a Riviera 5400 Sport Yacht Platinum.

BUCKY

That's me. We rent pontoons from time to time. Easy to board especially for the dog. Can also take a grill and cooler. Truth is there are other boats I'd love to have but are impractical for relaxing or using as a dive platform.
The list: Sanger picklefork, Eliminator tunnel hull, anything Donzi, or a V8 jet sprint boat. Mandatory equipment on the Sanger would be a blown big block with over the transom headers.

If I win the lottery I would buy a Riviera 5400 Sport Yacht Platinum.
Yeah!... now you're talking! Get something that throws a 100 foot rooster tail and runs over 100mph! :clapping:

rjssigns

Yeah!... now you're talking! Get something that throws a 100 foot rooster tail and runs over 100mph! :clapping:

Some years back a guy would run the Fox River by Green Bay with his jet boat. Could easily spray traffic on the 172 bridge. You're from Wisconsin so I figured you'd know the spot.;)

Client picked up a Donzi last year. Twin supercharged 540ci big blocks. Told him I want to go for relaxing ride on the river.:D

MI Bearcat

Not up here in Michigan. They used to only be at the cottages on the inland lakes. Now they are on the big lakes with tri-toons that can easily handle the chop. I boat on Lake St. Clair and I hardly ever saw a pontoon boat 8 years ago. Now they are everywhere and no longer look ugly. Very practical even on the big lakes for day boaters.

BUCKY

Some years back a guy would run the Fox River by Green Bay with his jet boat. Could easily spray traffic on the 172 bridge. You're from Wisconsin so I figured you'd know the spot.;)

Client picked up a Donzi last year. Twin supercharged 540ci big blocks. Told him I want to go for relaxing ride on the river.:D
I do know the spot. Been fishing in that area many times. That would be cool to see!

Stacey K

I like making signs
Learning a lot about pontoon trailers. Unreal to hear a pontoon trailer costs 2800 bucks when I can buy a used fishing/ski boat with trailer for that.

Maybe I need to rethink the pontoon program.
But pontoons are so much fun! There's nothing like a Booze Cruise at sunset! The only thing they aren't very good for is tubing and skiing LOL But we pull all the kids in tubes at 6 (no wake) and anchor on the other side of the lake and swim until dark.

Attachments

• 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    46.4 KB · Views: 134

rjssigns

But pontoons are so much fun! There's nothing like a Booze Cruise at sunset! The only thing they aren't very good for is tubing and skiing LOL But we pull all the kids in tubes at 6 (no wake) and anchor on the other side of the lake and swim until dark.

That's what I'm talkin' about. :)