• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Portfolio Honesty

Billct2

I've seen a few threads about using photos for your portfolio of work that you did while emloyed by another shop (mixed reaction some thought it OK with permission/disclaimer some thought it was wrong). A few even asked if it was OK to use pictures of signs that you didn't make to show the types of signs you could do (this was generally slammed).
So I thought of that today when I got an email from a local franchise sign shop. It was just a general email blast ad, but I decided to check out their site. As I was looking at the portfolio I was thinking that they did some pretty nice stuff, and were very competent sign makers...till I noticed that 90% of the images were not theirs, obviously provided by the franchise.

iSign

it's the lamest thing I ever heard of... I think it starts when kids move on to another employer & they use a portfolio of work they helped do at their last job,,, in this case the ONLY viewer is the prospective employer & he will be talking to you (the applicant) and exactly what contributions the applicant made can be identified in the interview, if desired... this is ok..

...but later, the same kid wants to venture out on his own... often in the same town as his former employer(s)... and then this would be TOTALLY off limits, and shameful...

Billct2

Yeh, but what about Franchises using "corporate" portfolios? Do you think that is just as "lame"? Or is it acceptable because it part of their corporate advertising, even though they personally have never made any of the pieces shown, and may not even have the skill to do so? What's more "shameful"... a "kid" using pictures of stuff he actually made (though while working for someone else) or a corporation using pictures of signs they didn't make and may not even know how to make?

iSign

well. let's see.. if the kid is posting pics I paid him to make, under my training, of my designs, for my clients... so he can compete in my market, by misrepresenting his fledgling companies lack of credentials... vs. a franchisee paying steep royalties every month, to receive legitimate rights to display images, AND training resources to help them deliver on any promises to reproduce similar work... sure, the franchise scenario is lame too... but generally business people don't want to fail & rip-off the client, but they do want to get a shot at stretching out and trying something new & if the franchise sponsored images help them sell that first dimensional sign... they will do there best, and at least they played by rules that allowed them to use that image... where a kid misrepresenting his new companies credentials by riding the coat tails of a former employer? ...lame, and unethical... and sometimes punishable.

By the way, this scenario has never happened to me, but I do tell employees that it is not allowable, because by law, my company portfolio is copyright protected, and is not available for their portfolio without my permission. i permit it to be used for seeking employment ONLY.

Rick

Certified Enneadecagon Designer
On the franchise level, it's really not much different than an imprinted catalog. Not lame.. . maybe a little deceptive.

On employee designs... I agree with Doug. Those designs should not be used for a start-up, but for finding employment. I would love to show my Disney, Warner Bros. and theme park work for my design business, but it's not mine. I know a few designers who start a business up, but post their employment portfolio on portfolio sites. I have mixed feelings on this and have not done it, even though it's not directly linked to my business, it's being shown as agreed by my former employers. Have not resolved that yet. You can't keep an employee from using his/her resume in a start-up and that should be adequate to legitimize their credentials, without hurting your former employer. I have the same issue with freelance... most of my clients will not allow me to show my work I did for them.. I get a premium for it, but a designer without a fresh portfolio can be business suicide so I no longer take that type of client.

What I tell start up designers is to post concept work and slowly replace them with 'real' work.

Fitch

Generally speaking those that profer other peoples works as their own are those that do not have the calibre or ability to do it themselves. Alone.

I recall when I started dimensional signs, EVERYBODY I requested to use an image of the "style" I wanted to do (well I did pick the best) said no and I thought that was mean to say the least.

Their take was that to produce something of your own accord was the only way one gets better and the honesty of completing yourself was unmatched.

Today, after many dimensional signs I TOTALLY agree and thank the Good Lord that they were so mean... gotta be cruel to be kind.

Will forever be indebted to them and would do the same if someone asked me.

Cheers

SignManiac

You can only fool people for so long. You can get a client in the door by representing somebody elses work as your own, but when it comes time to show your own design, it will be apparent if your design skills are not up to par with what your passing yourself off as. Most everyone has their own unique style of work and it's hard to polish a turd.

It's unethical at the least but there are plenty of unethical people in the business world. It just comes down to how well you want to sleep at night.

Arlo Kalon 2.0

This reminds me of a story that I am sure has happened to others. Back in the days before computers I had a guy stop in looking for a sign painting job. He had a fistful of Polaroid pics of signs he had painted. Problem was, there were 3 pics of signs I had done. When I confronted him about passing them off as his work, he stuttered something about they were just pics he took because he liked the signs. My problem became I had no way to know if he did any of the signs he had pics of. Sent him on his way.