• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Possible to wrap in one piece?

Paul Nadeau

Hello guys, I have a truck scheduled to wrap next week and I'm wondering if anyone has experience doing the flat side into the big wheel wells. Is it possible to do in one piece and if so is it a nightmare? I am thinking of doing the well then a seem over it coming down on the side. I am fairly experienced and will be using 3M 2080 gloss black. I charged $2700 for the cab to be completely turned from red to black. Any thoughts on teh pricing?
314722196_378959684412352_7365353117154479847_n.jpg

Boudica

Back to "educational purposes"
So, you are "fairly experienced", you've already set an amount to charge... what was the question?

2B

EDIT:

a good cast material can be done as a solid piece on the front fenders

For a color change we are $18 SQFT

They want a color change on the dump bed?
What about when the bed is elevated (dumping) and all of the underside "red" is seen?
Vinyl can / will be damaged as the material is loaded / unloaded from the bed, make sure you set expectations

Boudica

Back to "educational purposes"
What about when the bed is elevated (dumping) and all of the underside "red" is seen?
Vinyl can / will be damaged as the material is loaded / unloaded from the bed, make sure you set expectations
Sounds like a color change on the Cab... but I'm still not sure what he's asking.

emhmotorsports

The engine cover and wheel well are separate pieces. They have a seam because the hood raises. No need to do that in one piece.
While I'm not familiar with this particular generation of Peterbilt, on trucks they typically design it so that about 1/2 of the wheel well goes up with the hood for easy service. To check the oil, you typically stand between the engine and front wheel.

I'm actually curious about answers to the OP's question myself as I've contemplated wrapping my Freightliner.

Notarealsignguy

Arial - it's almost helvetica
While I'm not familiar with this particular generation of Peterbilt, on trucks they typically design it so that about 1/2 of the wheel well goes up with the hood for easy service. To check the oil, you typically stand between the engine and front wheel.

I'm actually curious about answers to the OP's question myself as I've contemplated wrapping my Freightliner.
Huh? It's a cab and a hood.

jfiscus

Rap Master
It will need to be done in a couple pieces to stay down in place, too many complex curves and potentials for failure due to overstretching the vinyl. Knifeless tape is your friend here.

Ask the customer to do the disassembly before the truck gets to your shop and reassembly after, a lot of those bolts are going to be a real pain and it will end up taking longer to do all that than the actual wrap.

emhmotorsports

Huh? It's a cab and a hood.
Sorry, guess maybe I should've specified that it's the front half of the wheel well to be more clear. A picture is worth 1000 words. Here's what they typically look like when open - as a reference for others.

Attachments

• IMG_4818_2.JPG
    IMG_4818_2.JPG
    321.5 KB · Views: 172

Paul Nadeau

EDIT:

a good cast material can be done as a solid piece on the front fenders

For a color change we are $18 SQFT

Just the cab and thank you on the price

Paul Nadeau

Yeah, but that's just taking food out of his own mouth.

I think it's just the cab, cheers on getting 2,700 to do it, but the real question is, do you plan to raise the bed and wrap the back side of the cab? You more than likely can't do that in the shop, it'll need to be outside unless you have some pretty high bays.
Yes we discussed that the back may have to be done in warmer weather

Paul Nadeau

It will need to be done in a couple pieces to stay down in place, too many complex curves and potentials for failure due to overstretching the vinyl. Knifeless tape is your friend here.

Ask the customer to do the disassembly before the truck gets to your shop and reassembly after, a lot of those bolts are going to be a real pain and it will end up taking longer to do all that than the actual wrap.
I contract with a big truck garage and they take everything off and reassemble

Paul Nadeau

Sorry, guess maybe I should've specified that it's the front half of the wheel well to be more clear. A picture is worth 1000 words. Here's what they typically look like when open - as a reference for others.
Hello guys, I have a truck scheduled to wrap next week and I'm wondering if anyone has experience doing the flat side into the big wheel wells. Is it possible to do in one piece and if so is it a nightmare? I am thinking of doing the well then a seem over it coming down on the side. I am fairly experienced and will be using 3M 2080 gloss black. I charged $2700 for the cab to be completely turned from red to black. Any thoughts on teh pricing? View attachment 162689
Maybe this is clearer. Top seam? bottom seam? Both seams?
Neither seam?

Attachments

• dump truck.jpg
    dump truck.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 213