• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Post and Panel

When installing a simple post and panel sign, wooden, 4'x4' in size, overall height of 6'; would you have the sign, and posts fully assembled at your shop, or would you set the posts first, and put it together on site?

Gino

Premium Subscriber
If you can carefully transport it, assemble at the shop. However, we generally take a piece of cardboard, lay the sign down and assemble right on the site and then...... instal it directly into the holes and pour the cement in and leave. If ya need a deadman post, put it on temporarily and come back a day or so later and remove it after it all sets up.

Johnny Best

My Ford F150 would be able to transport but I perfer to assemble on site. Posthole the 4x4x8 down 2'. then cover hole and tamp dirt down with heavy prybar checking for level. Install 4x4 on posts with level. Clean up.

chester215

Just call me Chester.
We would install the posts first then attach the panel.
Sometimes one will go deeper than the other because of rocks, roots, etc.

Notarealsignguy

Arial - it's almost helvetica
For something like a 4over aluminum frame, I prefer to assemble it in the shop if it isn't too big. Wood post with a larger face like a 4x8 real estate sign, I do it like Gino, lay posts on the ground, screw in the face, tilt it into the hole and dry set with concrete and tamp bar.

Gary1

I have one of these jobs coming up soon myself. 4x4 panel sign with Crezon board. 4’x 6’ Instead of cement I decided for try a product called Fast 2K. Expanding backfill composite. Says it replaces 2 bags of concrete. I seen videos online and the product seems pretty stable and strong. I prefer pre assembly myself and level off at the job site. But I’m sure this all depends on the situation at hand.

Attachments

• 80ADE1B6-0D06-45FA-AB2D-CF2A1116C076.jpeg
    80ADE1B6-0D06-45FA-AB2D-CF2A1116C076.jpeg
    2.4 MB · Views: 125

Texas_Signmaker

Very Active Signmaker
I do what Gino does. I assemble it onsite where the post ends are right where the holes are so I can lift it up and drop it in.

Z SIGNS

This is how we do a simple 4x4.
Makes the install very easy for many reasons.
Sign is completely assembled wrapped in bubble wrap when it leaves the shop.
Transporting an assembled 4x4 post and panel is no different than transporting a 4x8 sign face.
When installing signs we NEVER do anything in the field that could be done in the shop.
Why you would do it any other way.

Attachments

• best 4x4 fab install.jpg
    best 4x4 fab install.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 103
  • IMG_1671.jpg
    IMG_1671.jpg
    1.8 MB · Views: 122

signbrad

It's a judgment call, of course.

The advantage of assembly in the shop is you don't need to work on the ground outside and your assembly tools and fasteners don't need to be carted to the site. Then for the install, you only need to send out a couple of digger drones with a level. If your truck is loaded with tools and screwa, of course, and you have 6 of these signs to do, it may be easier to load up posts and panels and assemble on site.

TIP: screw a piece of pointed angle to the ends of each post so that it sticks out at the bottom. When you set the signs, push the pointy angles into the dirt at the bottom of the holes. You can plumb and level easily, even by yourself—and without braces. I have a drawing of this but I couldn't find it.

Is saying "digger drones" disrespectful?

Brad in Kansas City

Medina Signs

Old Member
I have one of these jobs coming up soon myself. 4x4 panel sign with Crezon board. 4’x 6’ Instead of cement I decided for try a product called Fast 2K. Expanding backfill composite. Says it replaces 2 bags of concrete. I seen videos online and the product seems pretty stable and strong. I prefer pre assembly myself and level off at the job site. But I’m sure this all depends on the situation at hand.
That foam works great for temp signs - you just need a helper to hold the post plumb while the other guys pours in the mix - at least we do - it sets up fast.

signbrad

That foam works great for temp signs - you just need a helper to hold the post plumb while the other guys pours in the mix - at least we do - it sets up fast.

You don't need a helper to hold the posts plumb if you use posts with points on the bottom.

I used this 2-part foam back in the 1980s. It worked okay for temporary signs. It does compress, though, and will not always hold a sign upright. I stop using it at some point. I don't know why. It was not dirt cheap. :)

I haven't heard the word Crezon in many years. At least since the late 1960s, when I first learned what a sign painter was. I have wondered where ownership of that trademark went. I believe that was the first brand name for the resin-impregnated paper on MDO plywood when MDO first appeared in the mid 1950s.

I first appeared in the mid 1950s as well.

Brad in Kansas City