• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Pre press artificial intelligence

Johnny Best

It would be nice to have an AI software that could make print/cut ready contour cut sticker files. Open a folder with a bunch of customer submitted images and the software spits out ready to print/cut files with cut lines, bleed etc. all done as good as a human using illustrator
Yl
You sound like a dairy farmer from long ago dreaming of machinery to milk all his cows. You still have to get up early to plug in the cows to the hoses.

Boudica

Back to "educational purposes"
Yl
You sound like a dairy farmer from long ago dreaming of machinery to milk all his cows. You still have to get up early to plug in the cows to the hoses.
I think he wants the cows to be AI too, so they are already plugged in.

victor bogdanov

I think he wants the cows to be AI too, so they are already plugged in.
Soy milk = AI cows, Oatmilk =AI cows 2.0

1.jpg

Boudica

Hmmm, two pages and the op hasn't returned... I think it's time to go rogue... AI milk is the direction... Johnny started it.

... No Tex, not human breast milk. Settle down.

balstestrat

Problem Solver
It would be nice to have an AI software that could make print/cut ready contour cut sticker files. Open a folder with a bunch of customer submitted images and the software spits out ready to print/cut files with cut lines, bleed etc. all done as good as a human using illustrator
That's the idea with Onyx Trufit / Caldera Primecenter.

Pauly

Printrade.com.au

Trufit and Tilia Giffin can do this already (both same software, onyx is using tilia griffin engine)
not sure about adding extra bleed though. waiting for my trial licence to test them both out.

• OMG / WOW
Reactions: BVG

victor bogdanov

Trufit and Tilia Giffin can do this already (both same software, onyx is using tilia griffin engine)
not sure about adding extra bleed though. waiting for my trial licence to test them both out.
Not quite there yet, I've looked at those and they would still require a customer supplied file to be cleaned up in photoshop/illustrator, background removed etc. In most cases.

I'm talking about a customer sends a picture of their dog sitting in grass and wants cut out stickers of the dog.

Or a customer sends 3" x 3" yellow star in a letter size PDF file, still requires manual cropping now. should'nt be too hard for ai to figure out

The ai software could be trained by feeding it previous job before / afters files

I was considering truefit/tillia but the types of files I get from customers would still require the file to be prepped in illustrator and if we're opening the file in Illy any way might as well add the cut line etc there.

The nesting feature of true fit looks really good though, wish they'd just make that built into onyx instead of having to jump through different software windows

Last edited:

Pauly

Printrade.com.au
Not quite there yet, I've looked at those and they would still require a customer supplied file to be cleaned up in photoshop/illustrator, background removed etc. In most cases.

I'm talking about a customer sends a picture of their dog sitting in grass and wants cut out stickers of the dog.

Or a customer sends 3" x 3" yellow star in a letter size PDF file, still requires manual cropping now. should'nt be too hard for ai to figure out

The ai software could be trained by feeding it previous job before / afters files

I was considering truefit/tillia but the types of files I get from customers would still require the file to be prepped in illustrator and if we're opening the file in Illy any way might as well add the cut line etc there.

The nesting feature of true fit looks really good though, wish they'd just make that built into onyx instead of having to jump through different software windows

the subject function in Ps is great for cropping the subject (dog, person etc)

from the short time of using trufit (last year) even though the standalone software isn't apart of onyx (it could easily be implemented in layout tool) it's quite a simple workflow.
Jump into trufit, (after you've set it up of course) add your files, tell it your copies, or page size etc, it'll do its nesting. then you just export it to a quickset.

its almost like using a different job editor if set up correctly.

request a trial licence, it's 30 days. (last time i hardly got a chance to use it) but requesting it again as we have some spare time to play with.

victor bogdanov

the subject function in Ps is great for cropping the subject (dog, person etc)
Yes it is but if I'm going to open the file in Ps I might as well add the cutline, bleed etc there and have production ready file so I don't have to mess with more settings in another app like truefit (as far as cutlines go). I still plan on checking it out for nesting though

These types of functions should be possible to implement into RIPs as they already exist in Ps and even phone apps. Someone just needs to combine it all into one print production focused package where we don't have to jump between several applications to get a simple sticker print/cut

victor bogdanov

Image one day:

drag and drop an image of a boat on a lake into AI RIP and say into your headset 3"x4" contour cut of boat with .25" white outline. Artificial Intelligence completes the request.

That is the power/potential of AI from my understanding and where things should be headed

All the tools/apps for this task already exist, it is just a matter of combining and training an algorithm how to use the tools to complete the task

loica

Hi victor bogdanov Well, not AI based, but you can already get this exact workflow with Enfocus PitStop Server. We have technology to create cut lines based on existing shapes in a highly automated workflow. You will probably find cases where you would say human can do better. But when there are hundreds of them automated with high accuracy, that's pretty cool, isn't it?
You can see a cool video here:

victor bogdanov

Hi victor bogdanov Well, not AI based, but you can already get this exact workflow with Enfocus PitStop Server. We have technology to create cut lines based on existing shapes in a highly automated workflow. You will probably find cases where you would say human can do better. But when there are hundreds of them automated with high accuracy, that's pretty cool, isn't it?
You can see a cool video here:
It would be able to do the attached example automatically? Takes me about 2 min in photoshop/illy . How long would it take in this software, drag and drop and it is done?

1.jpg

loica

It would be able to do the attached example automatically? Takes me about 2 min in photoshop/illy . How long would it take in this software, drag and drop and it is done?

View attachment 165558
Well, you would given the image is "clean" enough. Here is an example, of course, not comparable to what a designer would do on this specific case, but when you have large number of files to process, it can be very helpful!

Attachments

• cutcontour.gif
    cutcontour.gif
    2.5 MB · Views: 92

loica

Hi,
Given that the source file is clean enough, then it could yes. And of course, it works event better with vector arts.
cutcontour.gif

In this specific case, you may find better to do it manually but in other cases, specially when you have a large production to tackle, can be really helpful!

[NOTE] sorry for double post, thought first one failed to publish and now I cannot remove it.

Pauly

Printrade.com.au
Well, you would given the image is "clean" enough. Here is an example, of course, not comparable to what a designer would do on this specific case, but when you have large number of files to process, it can be very helpful!
surely you could run some smoothing to the path. none the less it is pretty impressive.

I tried this in Griffin, and it only did the centre image, done a really good job of it, but it didn't go around all of it like the first example.

victor bogdanov

Hi,
Given that the source file is clean enough, then it could yes.
Well the issue is the files we get are rarely clean enough and there are so many variables to the problems that only an AI model that has been trained with large sets of before/after sticker files might have a chance

Pauly

Printrade.com.au
Well the issue is the files we get are rarely clean enough and there are so many variables to the problems that only an AI model that has been trained with large sets of before/after sticker files might have a chance
even then, i think there will still need a human approval as ai will not aways get it right

FireSprint.com

Trade Only Screen & Digital Sign Printing
Enfocus Switch?

Yes and phoenix, pit stop, FileMaker, and OnPrintShop. All before we even touch the Zund or onyx stuff. I see ai making this all a lot simpler. You can already prompt it to help you write recipes in switch or calcs in FileMaker. Just a matter of time before it’s all integrated.

Boudica

Catching up... But I'm getting that with the OP question... Human knowledge/intervention is required, and the AI in question, has a very long way to go.