• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Pre press artificial intelligence

ftohill

Just wondering who is making waves with ai implementation in RIP and prepress software? I assume all the big players in print software are looking into it, but I can't see any of them mentioning it yet.
I think it is going to hit hard and fast - sooner rather than later. I think many companies may not be prepared for it. What do you think?

Fred Weiss

Merchant Member
I have no thoughts on your specific examples, but I think that artificial intelligence is going to be a major source of change in the immediate future. Much that we take for normal and as a given are going to change.

Saturn

Aging Member
I'd love it for time-consuming jobs that can't be easily set up for an action or script in Photoshop/Illustrator.

If I could use spoken language to give Photoshop a list of commands for a folder full of files... Hoo doggies, "ActionsPlus."

Boudica

Back to "educational purposes"
IDK how AI can improve upon the capabilities in the latest RIP software. Seems the rip software developers are working on helping humans, the user, enhance streamlining for production. For their specific needs.
I'd be more interested in an AI that will load the Media into the printer. But then I'd have a creepy robot walking around. Great for lifting heavy rolls of media, set that all up while I do other things. But, then I'd have new "equipment" I'd have to maintain.

Fred Weiss

Merchant Member
The potential success of AI has much to do with a potentially large return on a relatively small investment. In other words, a big bang for a buck.

Boudica

Back to "educational purposes"
I just thought of helpful AI prepress... Make the designers use it, to send art files that can actually be produced. Like the good ol days when "camera ready artwork" actually meant something in the professional world. When "designers" knew what they needed to provide for various Media applications, from newspapers to billboard's and everything in-between.
Who knows, maybe Canva will spearhead that.

Last edited:

FireSprint.com

Trade Only Screen & Digital Sign Printing
Our prepress/preflight software is a huge network of conditional logic. What to do when artwork is undersized, what to do when artwork is oversized. Different variations for different products. It takes alot to set that all up. We have a full time person working on it and we could probably afford to have two....and we're pretty small compared to some of the other printers/trade printers out there.

I see AI turning helping to generate all that conditional logic with a few prompts. And even going further like verifying QR codes, and spelling in raster artwork. This is all from a prepress standpoint.

Beyond that, I think we'll be seeing AI generated artwork, signage, etc in the next few months if we're not looking at it already. A good designer with the ability to prompt AI, will be able to output hundreds of high quality print-ready designs in a shift.

DL Signs

Never go against the family
Stop making me think on a weekend... :oops:

As far as things like artwork, logical functions, and predictive text goes, AI is gaining great traction. AI automation in printing is probably on the horizon somewhere.

There's a lot of variables for AI to act as a RIP server. Would it act better or worse? Only time would tell if/ when when someone attempts to make it happen. The caveat is the devices would have to be compatible with the technology. In an automated workflow, things only work if everything in the chain is designed to work with everything else. The printer you're running now probably won't benefit from an AI RIP much, if at all.

With all the different media available (some of which we print on that isn't supposed to be), printers, ink types, etc, AI technology could either shine, or fail miserably at. Printers would need to have an embedded spectrophotometer to handle color correction, which some already have, but all would need something that would work with the system. A fully automated RIP system could even have the potential to adjust HSL levels in artwork in addition to adjusting ink values and limits at the machine to get colors as close as possible within the gamut of the device. If it could/ would work like that, life would be golden. It's not outside the possibilities somewhere down the road, but...

It would still require compatible equipment to work. It would also be fully web/ app dependent, because with the computing power AI needs, it'll never be as simple as installing a stand-alone program like we're accustom to with current RIP software. If your internet, or the AI system goes down, hitches or glitches, you're not printing anything without having a conventional RIP backup. It could take a lot of the guesswork out, or not, and if it doesn't give the desired result you'd still need a redundant manual way to correct it, and if that becomes the norm, you're right back to doing it like we already are at a higher price point. It would also need to be able to detect things like nozzle drop outs and compensate (like we do manually with speed, passes to get us by till we can correct it, or an automated version of Mimaki's nozzle recovery), but that would be dependent on what the makers build into the equipment's capabilities.

I'm sure it'll come to fruition when the technology is advanced enough, but in the end it'll require new higher cost printers, because the ones we all have now most likely won't work, or for current devices an AI RIP probably won't do anything more than just grabbing a canned media profile that may or may not work, just like we already do, negating any benefits.

It would however send a lot of equipment to the landfill as companies drop support to sell you new higher cost AI compatible machines, and you know Mfgrs will just have them stop dead if something goes out of spec, and require you to pay a service tech to get it certified and running again (much like many other electronic devices, EV's, John Deer's...) so they can make more profit. Every option and feature will come with a subscription price, and sadly, we all know that's what it'll turn into. Printers won't be so much owned, or repairable by you anymore, even though you paid to own them, just like the road everything else is heading down. That, in a nutshell, is the biggest problem I have with the direction technology is heading.

Is AI viable for workflow? In many cases, yes.
Could it work as a rip server? Probably, eventually.
Will it be cost prohibitive for that? For most, absolutely.
That's my take... Cheers :toasting:

jfiscus

Rap Master
I can't see it being implemented into the RIP software like a few are discussing above, but on the "design" end of prepress it is coming soon. Just looking through and using Adobe Stock images, I am getting a lot of nice AI-generated images in my search results and using some of them on projects already.

I am a beta user of Adobe Firefly and it can already do some wonderful things with what you put into the generator even though they're not useable for large format output. We had a customer recently looking for custom artwork for a food truck and the AI came very close to drawing something useable as a test. I can foresee it taking a load off of the design aspects if Adobe keeps with it, but then customers will think (even more than they do now) that all we have to do is push a button and art comes out. I think this will be used a LOT by "fiver" style designers, and will lead to other pre-press issues, but that's another can of worms.

JBurton

Signtologist
I'm thinking the initial benefit AI will provide is purely upscaling garbage art. If onyx had an option to ai upscale, I'd click it every time I get some garbage bit map and never waste by breath on whether or not the customer has a vector, 'it's what the robot gave me' is the best you'll get from me.
Aside from that, streamlining and product ordering will be a big market for a month, then the bottom will drop out when folks realize they don't need a $50k ai to do this any better than a $1k. If chatgpt can pass the bar, why can't it figure out if I need to wait 30 minutes to swap out laminate after the printer finishes, or if I'd be better off swapping now, laminating one print, swapping back, and moving forward. This'll be a huge cost initially, then folks will realize the cafeteria ordering software performs equal to the electric vehicle production plant ordering software, and dump on the top suppliers.
And even going further like verifying QR codes, and spelling in raster artwork.
I could see this potentially starting the great human robot war (that is of course what we'll call it, wait until the first armistice is broken to refer to it as robo war 1). Customer from Canada orders a set of signs with the words 'favorite color' on it, ship address is in US, robot changes it to 'favourite colour', human changes it back, circuits cross, spacex's ai commander utilizes starlink's secret first strike protocol, disabling super power's arsenals rapidly. Ya know, the usual day in the print shop.

it'll never be as simple as installing a stand-alone program
That's short sighted, at some point quantum computing will outperform network distributed computing and allow you to handle all the ai calculations in a standalone unit. I see where you're coming from, but never is a looong time.

jochwat

Graphics Department
Our prepress/preflight software is a huge network of conditional logic. What to do when artwork is undersized, what to do when artwork is oversized. Different variations for different products. It takes alot to set that all up. We have a full time person working on it and we could probably afford to have two....and we're pretty small compared to some of the other printers/trade printers out there.

I see AI turning helping to generate all that conditional logic with a few prompts. And even going further like verifying QR codes, and spelling in raster artwork. This is all from a prepress standpoint.

Beyond that, I think we'll be seeing AI generated artwork, signage, etc in the next few months if we're not looking at it already. A good designer with the ability to prompt AI, will be able to output hundreds of high quality print-ready designs in a shift.
Enfocus Switch?

Humble PM

If I'm lucky, one day I'll be a Eudyptula minor
Colour management would be relatively trivial for a company such as* X-Rite, basiccolor or SwissQprint to bring in. Each media gets profiled, printer knows what is loaded, appropriate profile gets applied. Start of each job / stack / batch, test pattern is printed and checked, and either passed, or corrective cleaning / media rejected. Not really modern AI, more expert system.

Font recognition is a prime candidate - on this site is a veritable feedback loop of confirmation and rejection - sort of useful for edge cases, but typefaces are a no brainer for automated recognition. It looks like you've used comic sans for your body text - would you like a papyrus heading, and a drop shadow outerglow?

A decade and more ago, I saw an add in a trade mag, words along the lines of "if your finishing department is a couple of guys with steel rulers, then you need to look at this". Zund.

*Xrite, because they're heavily invested near monopoly, Basiccolor, because they're small bright and agile, and SwissQ, because they're freaking top-end automation.

Gino

Premium Subscriber
Due to the fact that the hypotenuse is equal but not greater than the equaliberium once set aside for the solidarity of yellow artificial food coloring.... artificial intelligence will not be around long, unless hal figures out what's wrong with his calculations. Getting all involved with this kinda information is too much for me. I'm not artificial, so it won't ever have anything to do with me, not in my lifetime.

Fred Weiss

Merchant Member
An AI-generated image of a fake explosion outside the Pentagon stoked panic and sent stocks tumbling as the hoax spread on social media.

Attachments

• 055fbc8861d940acb1085d2aa709ddf9_md.jpg
    055fbc8861d940acb1085d2aa709ddf9_md.jpg
    232.9 KB · Views: 91

victor bogdanov

It would be nice to have an AI software that could make print/cut ready contour cut sticker files. Open a folder with a bunch of customer submitted images and the software spits out ready to print/cut files with cut lines, bleed etc. all done as good as a human using illustrator