• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Preventing customer proof theft

outacontrol41

Looking for an easy to use program that prevents a potential customer from downloading a sign shop's email-sent proof of an estimate/logo/design and carring it elsewhere. It's happened to me before and it raises my blood pressure.:banghead:
I see this product http://signproofpro.com/ has made it's debut and wondering if anyone else has used it and/or would reccomend it. There is a $160 registration fee involved btw

rdm01

Try signproof pro, I have heard good things.

An easier way though, 50% deposit on your work. Never had a customer take
off with a proof, and if they do, oh well, it usually winds up paying me more
than the $65 an hour art charge.

Rhino

Unfortunately, proof theft happens in our business ..alot. Sign Proof Pro is an excellent program so you should give it a try. Otherwise, write at the bottom of each of your proofs that this artwork belongs to you. When I'm visiting a new customer for the first time, I generally won't leave a copy for them. Nor will I email them a copy. They can have a copy when they sign and give a deposit.

P

ProWraps™

screenshot kills everything. there is no way around it. even with a watermark etc, you can still screen shoot something, take it somewhere else, and say make me this. unless this somehow disables screenshots, its worthless.

P

ProWraps™

update: i downloaded the compiled album. it wouldnt run because it said "screen capture programs running. shut them down blah blah" and wouldnt show the album.

how? where are the screen capture programs running? im a computer guy and i dont know how to turn that off. neither would your clients. done deal.

it sucks though that people can and do take ur stuff. i usually watermark the hell out of it if i suspect that this might happen. but as others mentioned above, get money upfront. that protects you pretty much 100%.

Checkers

Just for kicks and giggles, I demo'd the Sign Proof Pro a little while back and it seemed to do it's job well.
So, $160 may sound like a lot of money to ya, but if it keeps 1 design from being pirated, it's paid for itself.
The other solution is not to design anything without a signed contract and a retainer (deposit). This virtually eliminates all problems related to the job.

Checkers

nbarrett

If you send out PDF's then you can set the security in professional to not allow printing or to downgrade the quality. It also with allow you to put a watermark on it that only appears when printed. This works pretty well for us. We started using this method after someone stole our design and haven't had problem since.

Nate

Jillbeans

I think it's a good idea, altho I haven't bought it yet.
I never ever email a sketch without a deposit.
Period.
No exceptions.
Been bit before and it sucks.
Love....Jill

GK

Not that the typical customer could or would do it but cracking a secure PDF is not difficult at all.

Not to mention that all PDF viewers don't have security settings so some will just open the files right up and let you print/copy/extract from them :rolleyes: but the general public mostly uses Acrobat Reader because that is what is forced on their computers out of the box anymore...

dynawg

I was lucky enough to win a copy of signproofpro at the NW meet. I haven't used it 'for real' yet, but did do some playing with it.

I does not permit screen shots, and sure looks to me like it will do exactly what you are looking to do.

The only question is assuring whoever is getting your proofs that the .exe file it sends is not some kind of nastyness. I know I am extremely leery of 'unknown' exe files, especially when they arrive by email.

I'm sure Rep will chime in here at somepoint.

Download the sample demo file from the website and see what it does.

Cheers,
Bob P.

P

ProWraps™

but again, how do you turn off the "screen capture programs" that it makes you do? i couldnt even get the sample album to run because eh, WHAT screen capture programs? its a function of windows itself...

DPD

In almost every case, I take a 50% deposit before starting the work. When I send or print proofs it is on my letterhead with the word proof emblazoned through the middle (and faded of course so it doesn't obstruct view too much).

Rooster

It's still your work. If they steal it send them an invoice for double what you'd normally charge. Send the same invoice to the other shop that stole it too.

Make sure they sign and date a copy of every proof you give them that you take back for your own protection. It creates a time line of the creative process and proves ownership and their knowledge of the source. A determined thief will find ways around protection. The best protection is what will stand up in court.

outacontrol41

Just for kicks and giggles, I demo'd the Sign Proof Pro a little while back and it seemed to do it's job well.
So, $160 may sound like a lot of money to ya, but if it keeps 1 design from being pirated, it's paid for itself.
The other solution is not to design anything without a signed contract and a retainer (deposit). This virtually eliminates all problems related to the job.

Checkers

For kicks and giggles I'd love to be a fly on the wall listening in on a couple of would be pirates trying to save or download a Signproof Pro encrypted image with plans to take it to my competition. A potential problem I see is the possible fact that the pirate will take the whole laptop computer to the other sign shop and lend that machine for a few days until the image is visually reproduced from scratch from the screen.:doh:I guess ther's no way around that one.

Rooster...
Good luck collecting on that invoice...

W

wetgravy

I don't bother with programs like that ... i send files like the attached ...

Between the watermark, poor quality of the reduced size proof and the fact i say I'm going to fine them ... it's reduced 99% of my thefts of work. Also since the template is vector i can remove the image butchering really easily and provide a pdf (art still converted to raster if vector based) for my customers that won't run to the hills with the work.

Attachments

• proofsheet-castle-sept-7-08.jpg
    proofsheet-castle-sept-7-08.jpg
    469.3 KB · Views: 132

outacontrol41

Signproof Pro rocks!

Okay, it's been a few days now since I installed this software from Signproof Pro and I can only say good things about it and it's designer, Marc. It does, in fact, make the proof untouchable and safe to send to anyone. Customer support for this progam is top-notch - good service and communication. Don't get caught sending your designs to the competition....install this and worry no more. Thanks, Marc. it was a pleasure dealing with you! :clapping:

Replicator

Thanks Wally, I appreciate the kind words !

A lot of blood, sweat and tears went into this program and we think it works great . . .

Is there any proofing security that is 100%, NO! it just isn't possible, but we think we've got the odds beat pretty well . . .

Thanks again for the kind words.

bob

It's better to have two hands than one glove.
I've been in this business longer than most of you have been alive. In all of those years there's been exactly 2 times that someone appropriated my work from proofs or sketches. One of those times the larceny was questionable and rather flattering, the other I took to small claims court and prevailed merely by showing the contents and creation dates of the files in question. Signatures, agreements, etc. don't pack nearly the weight that the dates on those files do.

That being the case, I wouldn't give you 2 cents for Yet Another piece of software that will serve more to clog the wheels of commerce and solve pseudo-problems rather than provide any real benefit.

I don't do watermarks, signatures, dire warnings, or any of that nonsense. I try to deal with regular people, not incipient thieves. If someone should take advantage this policy it won't seriously affect the course of history and I'll deal with it when if and when it should ever happen.