• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Price check: Install 4 posts along a hillside

gnubler

Not sure why this is bugging me, so thought I'd see what others might quote on a job like this. Waterside bar needs 4 signs on posts along the outdoor stairway shown in the image ("No alcohol beyond this point", etc). I quoted digging holes and installing four 4x4" pressure treated posts standing about 4 feet tall, $400 for unpainted, $500 for painted. Access to the stairway is limited and only streetside parking in a busy downtown, so several trips carrying tools & materials to the site. Customer declined, said she'd find someone else to do it. Was I overpriced? I don't think I was.

Screen Shot 2023-04-28 at 4.36.41 PM.png

Notarealsignguy

Arial - it's almost helvetica
Guy just quoted me $800 to install 160' of chain link fence with 1 10' wide swing gate and a 20' rolling gate. I supply materials.

MikePro

i would have quoted the same

if they want cheap, then offer ziptied signs on rebar or Uchannel posts staked into the ground, and a note to your client that they may need manual uprighting every freeze/thaw.

gnubler

It's for an upscale wine bar with patio seating, figured they'd want something a bit nicer and beefier than u-channel or t-posts. You just never know with people.

Notareal - are you saying I was overpriced, or did you get a smokin' deal on fence installation? $800 seems low for that much work.

gnubler

Yes, they ordered the signs and will handle the install themselves. I'm okay with that! Doing window decals too.

JBurton

Signtologist
I'd offer them post and pedestal setups, seems more in line with 'fancy' joint than wood in the ground unless it's something fancier than pt.

gnubler

I'd offer them post and pedestal setups, seems more in line with 'fancy' joint than wood in the ground unless it's something fancier than pt.
I suggested that initially so they could be moved around if needed, and no install headaches for me, but they want posts in the ground.

White Haus

Not a Newbie
Around here companies are roughly $100 a hole just to have them dug and maybe set your post for you. I'd wish them good luck with finding someone else to do that for cheaper.

gnubler

^^ Agreed. If they decide to dig the holes themselves they will find out quickly why the labor charge is what it is. In my area the ground is "three rocks for every dirt", digging sucks. I had also included filling the hole with gravel to help keep it tight and straight.

Thanks for the feedback. The customer's reaction bothered me so I just wanted to make sure I was being reasonable.

Mike Paul

Super Active Member
Dig holes, hit rocks or electric
Not sure why this is bugging me, so thought I'd see what others might quote on a job like this. Waterside bar needs 4 signs on posts along the outdoor stairway shown in the image ("No alcohol beyond this point", etc). I quoted digging holes and installing four 4x4" pressure treated posts standing about 4 feet tall, $400 for unpainted, $500 for painted. Access to the stairway is limited and only streetside parking in a busy downtown, so several trips carrying tools & materials to the site. Customer declined, said she'd find someone else to do it. Was I overpriced? I don't think I was.

View attachment 165175
No

unclebun

If the restaurant or marina has a handyman they can dig a post hole as well as anyone else, and not get paid anything extra to do it. Or maybe even the owner and a teenage son could do it in their spare time. I sell signs all the time and let the customer install them.