• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Price check on sign

Stacey K

I like making signs
Any ideas on what to charge for this sign? I can make the sign here at the shop. My boyfriend can weld the frame. As for the posts...I'm wondering if I should just run to a big box store and grab them? I didn't see on 4Ever that I can get just the posts.

Customer will install. I've not done one with quite this much routering or the frame on back so I'm not sure how long this will take me. Size is 24"x48".

Attachments

• 286657518_465719402142107_3847218472828254322_n.jpg
    286657518_465719402142107_3847218472828254322_n.jpg
    141.6 KB · Views: 469
  • 304816377_470161508351271_8455260122818962879_n.jpg
    304816377_470161508351271_8455260122818962879_n.jpg
    135.3 KB · Views: 301

Johnny Best

Routering, you mean the shap of the sign? What are you making face out of, ACM. Cut vinyl or print with cast vinyl. Those posts look like painted alum square tubing.

Gino

Premium Subscriber
That's a very small sign to be concerned about framework on the back. I'd simply use sign brackets. As for the shape of the sign, just carefully use a jigsaw and then sand it.

Probably be around $1,100 or $1,200 including the brackets and your boyfriend's help isn't needed other than for moral support.

Stacey K

I like making signs
That's a very small sign to be concerned about framework on the back. I'd simply use sign brackets. As for the shape of the sign, just carefully use a jigsaw and then sand it.

Probably be around $1,100 or $1,200 including the brackets and your boyfriend's help isn't needed other than for moral support.
I kinda thought it was bit overkill myself...

White Haus

Not a Newbie
That's a very small sign to be concerned about framework on the back.

The original signman seems to have had his priorities mixed up. Welded aluminum frame then goes ahead and has (unpainted) visible fasteners? :banghead:

This would definitely be an interesting project to see how different members would approach this. We don't do much of this type of stuff but I definitely don't agree with the overkill frame and visible screw heads.

Gino

Premium Subscriber
Just buy UNtreated posts, sand them, one prime coat and 2 top coats. You can still get oil-based paints at Home Depot. They'll last for 15 years.

Stacey K

I like making signs
Thanks everyone! I am calculating pricing with brackets and with the aluminum frame. I see I'm in the same area so I feel pretty good about it.

CanuckSigns

I would make the sign double sided to hide the ugly framework, I always thought it was an unwritten rule in this business to try to hide any framework, supports or screws as much as possible.

Texas_Signmaker

Very Active Signmaker
Only if you want to avoid the sh*tty sign company reputation. We just did a 5x10 cabinet with an EMC, single sided. We just built the whole thing as if it were a double sided sign so we didn't have the 'wallsign on two posts' look, which is just so damn tacky.
You mean you didn't leave the liner on the back of the cabinet so the customer thinks you re-used a sign that use to be hung at "maxmetal" store?

kcollinsdesign

Old member
I guess if the customer will install the sign, they can remove it as well (and take accurate measurements of the aluminum frame so the new sign fits). Take a picture of it square on with a telephoto lens, use that photo to inform the profile vector. Print the sign on 10mm PVC using UV inks then cut and sand smooth. Glue 2 1x2 PVC cleats (for a blind install) to the back using Lexan adhesive (reinforced by several small screws that only go about 6mm into the back of the sign, countersink as needed to get the right depth). $595.00 out the door.

I would use a jobber for the flatbed UV printing (I'm lucky to have one nearby). The average wholesale price will be around $10/sq. ft. to print on 10mm PVC. Mark up and add shipping.

An altenative would be to supply your own 10mm PVC and apply a laminated cast vinyl print on the face. About the same price (but less shipping if you are using an out of town jobber).

Now if the customer wants you to clean and paint the posts, figure drive time (min. two trips), paint supplies, sanding, spot priming as needed, and two coats quality exterior latex. I'd figure about 4 hours labor (plus drive time). Add five minutes to install the sign.

Stacey K

I like making signs
I should clarify...the guy just wants a sign LIKE this one, this one is down the road from his subdivision, which is "Robins Nest". I won't actually be doing anything to this sign but making one like it. Sorry if I didn't make that clear in my first post o_O

Scotchbrite

No comment
I would figure this is a sign that will be up a long time. I would use steel posts with a couple of steel angle stringers welded between them. Paint the steel with Matthews paint. Sign panel would be 080 aluminum with the vinyl graphics. Glue aluminum angle to the back to slip over and bolt to the steel angle stringers. Should be somewhere around $1000.