• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Print and Cut equipment

GL frank

Hello All,
I've been in business for 22 years. My specialty is vechicle lettering using hand paint and vinyl cut material. All my digital printwork has been subbed out to local sign shops. I am looking to purchase a print and cut machine for myself.
My first question- is there a big learning curve to operating the software and equipment? I presently run signlab e6 Color Master.
#2- Is there room to negotiate with the dealers on advertised listed price?
#3- Can anyone recommend a dependable brand?
Thanks
Frank

PHILJOHNSON

Sales Manager
Welcome

Hello and a warm welcome from Seattle, WA! Depending on your needs, and expected workflow, the Summa DC4sx may be a good fit for your print and cut needs.

Here is a link to additional information on our website about the DC4sx -

http://www.summausa.com/products/dc4sx.php

Please let me know if you have any questions about the DC4sx, and I would be happy to go over the machine in more detail with you.

Best regards,

Phil Johnson
Summa Inc.

njshorts

Welcome!

As not-good as the customer service has been, we got a good deal on a Mutoh/Graphtec/Enduralam package from sign warehouse (2k under their regular price, plus a few bonuses that added up to about 2.5k) and have been pretty happy... We've also considered the print/cut route, but I like having the 3 separate pieces- one breaks, the other two work... and it's simple to laminate- remove from printer, through laminator, through cutter- done.

Mosh

I am not selling printer I use them, unlike these last two salesmen.... We have been using Rolansd stuff and are very happy with it. Been in the biz since 1988.

njshorts

I am not selling printer I use them, unlike these last two salesmen.... We have been using Rolansd stuff and are very happy with it. Been in the biz since 1988.

salesmen? lol. for the record, I don't work for any equipment manufacturer, distributor or retailer... thanks for throwing the newbie a curveball, mosh.

NSchlee

Welcome!

As not-good as the customer service has been, we got a good deal on a Mutoh/Graphtec/Enduralam package from sign warehouse (2k under their regular price, plus a few bonuses that added up to about 2.5k) and have been pretty happy... We've also considered the print/cut route, but I like having the 3 separate pieces- one breaks, the other two work... and it's simple to laminate- remove from printer, through laminator, through cutter- done.

Sounds like I bought the same system Nick has last fall from SW, Mutoh VJ1204 (48"), Q series 54" cutter (Graphtec) and Enduralam laminator and Flexi Pro 10. I too wanted the seperate machines for the print/cut abilities.
We've been printing a fair amount of banners lately and this leaves the cutter free for vinyl jobs. We also bought a Banner Pro and a Sliding Cutter. I found SW prices are negotiable and you can also ask for a longer waranty/support package and a bunch of sample materials. Being in Alaska we don't have any local service. Installation was pretty straight forward and SW has videos on their Site the helped get us up and running.
We've only used their customer service one time during printer installtion and it was satisfactory.

The only problem we had, was the laminator would not work. After an hour of inspection/testing I found a bad solder joint on the power
supply, re-soldered and no problems since. I can see where this could have been a bigger problem for someone that's not electrically inclined.
I don't believe SW uncrates and tests the machines before selling them.

Neal

Rydaddy

If you have made your living cutting vinyl, like I once did... the world of digital printing is a different beast. I think life was actually easier and more profitable when we didn't all have printers.

That being said, we have an EPSON GS6000 and a graphtec fc130. This is our 3rd wide format printer and our 3rd plotter 48" or bigger.

I may have swayed from your original questions so I apologize if I got off track. No, you should not pay retail. If you are getting pricing from more than one supplier be sure to purchase from the one who will have your back...