• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Print and cut machine. which one?

Kevin T

Actually the Edge 2 is discontinued. You can probably pick one up with a plotter and the software for under 9K. Maybe less. look around you might be surprised what you find. I saw a Versacamm get auctioned last week for 5K.

Flame

What machine do you like best Flame?

I dunno. Never used either. Seen the versacamm run, and know probably 5 local shops that have one. It's not a bad starter.

I'd love to get an edge just as a extra printer. Would never want to use it for a all around machine, but thermal has it's place, and always heard Gerber makes some of the strongest machines. I've heard raves for years on how well the Edge holds up, so hope it does?

Curious, why would you ask me? I'm just throwing out my input, I'm still relatively new to the printing world (almost 2 years).

Flame

I meant which of the ones you own. I know verry little about large format. The edge is a workhorse but has it's limits

I actually own a Mutoh Falcon and a Mutoh ValueJet. I want a Edge just for thermal prints, so I can use metallics and the color white. Stuff like that.

For a small to medium sized sign shop, I think the ValueJet is a wonderful machine. Just have to keep it running.

Fun Signs

I just checked there site (Gerber that is) and the new edge fx with a cutter and software 13,995.00. I believe the Versacamm 300V will be more money and all the added stuff I would need.

ackerman139

I run my whole snocross, motocross, wrap.. etc, business off of my 30" versacamm. For the money, and its rank, it is a wicked workhorse. It deffinetly took me some fine tuning to get results that i wanted, but well worth it. it is cheap compared to any other machine, and as long as you know what your doing, it can compete with muscle. Downside: little slow printing.... Other than that, if your serious, soljets are very nice but super pricey. Looking to add one to our company soon.

Theres my take! hope it helps, -Chris

Mike Paul

Super Active Member
Thermal and Inkjet are two different animals. If I were you, I'd take a hard look at the Edge setup or the Summa DC4sx.

Solvent inkjets need more TLC plus you'll have the additional cost of a laminator.

Fred Weiss

Merchant Member
The edge will cost more to use probably. Especially with 4 color process,plus it isn't convienent to load 4 seperate foils

When you add in the cost of laminating film and the labor to apply it to inkjet output, the Edge comes out the winner costwise. As to convenience, waiting for drying and then having to laminate much of the output, is also highly inconvenient. Then there is the question of noxious fumes. Being able to print white and dozens of spot colors and do bleed cuts without concern that the solvent ink may have reacted with the adhesive and that the edges of the vinyl will start curling up.

Shall I go on?

Flame

When you add in the cost of laminating film and the labor to apply it to inkjet output, the Edge comes out the winner costwise. As to convenience, waiting for drying and then having to laminate much of the output, is also highly inconvenient. Then there is the question of noxious fumes. Being able to print white and dozens of spot colors and do bleed cuts without concern that the solvent ink may have reacted with the adhesive and that the edges of the vinyl will start curling up.

Shall I go on?

Edge prints are still able to be wiped off with mild solvents. So for wraps etc, you'd still want to laminate them.

Eco-sol printers have little to zero fumes, and can be ran indoors. I run 2 just a few feet away from my kitchen.

I laminate graphics as soon as they come off the printer. After over 30,00 square feet of vinyl, I've never once had a problem with the laminate adhesion.

Never had edge curl. Proper profiling is part of the puzzle there, but I simply don't get it and neither should anyone else with an inkjet.

You got us all beat for the white though. My main reason for wanting an Edge... is the white.

Shall I go on?

:Big Laugh

Kysparky

I wish I had the money to go out and buy a printer just to do some decals for the family and maybe a few shirts. Don't have one yet but when I do get one it will have to work pretty hard to pay for itself. shoot!!! I may even have to work too!!!

Kevin T

Apples and oranges. Not even worth comparing one to the other. I believe Fun Signs wants to do small decals. The flexibility of materials provided by the Edge and the ability to print spot colours would probably fit his need best. Especially it the machine is going to see limited use. But I'm not sure he's really given us enough information to even give him an informed opinion...just a bunch of guesses. lol

Cadmn

I already looked at the VersaCamm 30" and I really like that (that may be an option also), But if there is something smaller that you all may know of I would be interested in looking at that.
Your not really looking for smaller Just Cheaper right?