• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Print and cut machine. which one?

Ken

There's no doubt that adding printing capability is an essential move-up for a sign BUSINESS. But, you say that you're doing this , essentially , as a hobby. You can go a LONG way with layering vinyl..if necessary learn some graphics techniques in Corel, Illustrator, Flexi..and outsource the printing jobs that come along. There are lots of folks here that will give wholesale pricing on printed graphics...
Ken

Bogie

Actually, I'm sort of interested too... The ability to print white on clear could come in handy for some stuff for me, even on just a small scale. What does it cost per square foot (assuming media similar to 3651) to print "full coverage" with one of the Gerbers?

Ken

Bogie, if you want to print..and you should, because it opens a Whole New World to sign making..The Versacamm has worked VERY well for me...and others. I'm just a part-time, home-based kinda operation..but my investment in a print/cut has worked for me. When you get tiny text to do..when you get gradients and fills, when you get photos into the signs..
When you need text with a gradient..
Shoot, ( oops..I dont mean that literally)..VERY useful..it's a big step from cutting vinyl..and another big learning curve but IMHO..the way to go.
Cheers!
Ken

Bogie

Ken, I've got a Falcon Jr... and I Just Now got the print/cut feature to work (thanks to SAI!).

Service Sign Co

In over 8 years I've printed white once on static cling with the Edge. Maybee I'm missing something, but don't really see a result that can't be achieved on white vinyl with a clear fill. Clear vinyl isn't used very often other than positives for screen printing. I'm sure others have a use for white

Fun Signs

Cadmn,
Well ya cheaper is always nice, But not always the best solution. How is the outside life with the Gerber Edge FX? I know it says 3 yrs, But would like to get some feedback from someone who knows for sure.

Also how is the outside life of the VersaCamm 300 with NO lamination. I really don't want to add the expense of that if I can get 3 yrs out of a decal.

chopper

fun signs it depends on what you will be using the decals on or for, if they are inside and you are not going to wipe them with harsh chemicals both will do fine, if you are going to put them outside the inkjet will need lamination unless it will be short term say a year to 2 with out being handled or washed with chemicals, so if they are going to be on cars etc.. you will need to laminate, if you need them to last, but a laminator isnt that big of a deal if you are doing small stuff you can pick up a big squeegee I think they are under a hundred bucks ( look at the link on the main page ) I think it is still there, Fred is the expert on the edge he has stated before he has done a lot of prints with out lamination and they have held up fine, I have a versacamm but I think if I were you I would go with the edge for the simple fact that when youre not printing you dont need to worry about the print heads drying out etc.. so if you are not printing every day and it is a hobby thing that would be a better choice IMOP and if you want to you can also laminate the edge prints, and as far as cost I think that for doing small stuff it would be so small between the two it dosent matter//chopper

Samm

You can go a LONG way with layering vinyl..Ken

Here here. I dont have a printer, and at this stage have no intention of getting one.

I havent yet pulled out my painting gear, have so far managed to get by just fine on my 24" cutters. (and the odd can of Krylon as well)

A bit of creative thinking, combined with a fairly good know-how of flexi pro allowed me to pull together a beach scene on the door of a car in layered vinyl. (amongst other things)

What was good about it? A guy came with his "business card" (I cant believe whoever did it is allowed to be called a designer) and wanted it on his car. There was no way I was going to embarrass myself by copying it, so I did for the customers sake, but showed him what I thought it should be, and he went with mine.

I play with Corel and Photoshop alot, and one day might go the digital route, but in the meantime - happy as is :)

In all, I am running at 75% calling myself a sign shop again, and am not seeing the need for a printer.

Hobbyist spending 10K +? Expensive hobby!!!

Flame

Will the decals still be flexible if laminated? Which would be a good laminator for a 30" VersaCamm?

Any cold laminator will do. And non-laminated prints are horrible. A pain to put on and the inks will wipe off if you get any solvents on them. I'd consider a laminator a must. I got a pretty affordable one from www.pacificcoastsignsupply.com

And yes, they'll be quite flexible. It's just a top layer of clear. And it will make installations 5 times easier on yourself.

In over 8 years I've printed white once on static cling with the Edge. Maybee I'm missing something, but don't really see a result that can't be achieved on white vinyl with a clear fill. Clear vinyl isn't used very often other than positives for screen printing. I'm sure others have a use for white

Yeah, you're missing something. lol. There is a BIG market for clear backed decals. I recently had to turn down a $3000 order for clear decals, because I couldn't print their colors on clear. A label company such as stouse can't handle every order (such as this one), and running off specialty runs can make a few bucks. Heck, I've had a lot of companies just locally want their logo printed onto a square piece of clear, or have the center of a decal clear..... there's demand. Just have to run into it.:thumb:

markyeoman

If you are considering the Edge you might want to look at the Summa DC4SX. Cost per sq ft is less and its unattended printing, lifetime support and if needed you can actually work on the machine without sending it in (example "printhead").

Last edited:

Fun Signs

I just came back from my local Sign supply shop where I buy all my supllies from and he told me I would be better off with the VersaCamm due to the fact I can do ALOT more with the machine then the EdgeFX. I am getting a laminator also to go with it. He said the Edge FX is a great machine, But if I decided to do banners I would be stuck. He said spend the money once in which I agree. The new VP model is alot faster (print wise) so I am gonna get that model. He also told me that the print heads WILL NOT dry up as long as it is pluged in all the time in which mine will be.

Thank you to all that helped, Much appreciated.

Ian Stewart-Koster

Older Greyer Brushie
A-haa...banners are now a possibility, small size is not a need, and money is not such an issue either- this is all a bit different from post #1 in this thread...

OK, it's been an interesting thread, but you can't help wondering why some people get a bit cranky when the answer chosen does not equal to the question asked.

Best wishes with your selection!

Cadmn

well stated Ian Now his sign supplier & banners & ??? doesn't add up at all with post one of family stickers

iSign

if you can't get the advice you want... you can always ask someone else... like a supplier who makes more money giving you the answer you want... what a great idea!! ...hope you don't get a big white on clear order.

Flame

A-haa...banners are now a possibility, small size is not a need, and money is not such an issue either- this is all a bit different from post #1 in this thread...

OK, it's been an interesting thread, but you can't help wondering why some people get a bit cranky when the answer chosen does not equal to the question asked.

Best wishes with your selection!

Agreed!

You're confusing everyone here Fun!!!

Fun Signs

Not for nothing, But this is by far the worst forum I have ever been on. Very FEW nice people left in this world now.

Flame

Not for nothing, But this is by far the worst forum I have ever been on. Very FEW nice people left in this world now.

1. You're taking stuff too seriously.

2. You provide oddball information that makes it hard for anyone to help you, and get upset when we ask for more info? How's that work?

Fun... you'd like advice, but you failed to give us a good understanding of what you were even asking. Stuff kept changing, and you bounced around like you had multiple personalities. Makes it tough.

If you want to learn, stick around. I'm not expert on here, I'm actually usually on the kicking stone like you assume you are right now. But there's some good advice here, and some knowledgeable people. It'd be a wise choice to just hang around and see what there is to learn.

Oh yeah, and thick skin helps. :wink: