• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Print and install perf on interior?

ExtremeG Alamosa

Total noob question but how do you install window perf. As you can see from the picture this window perforated material was installed on the interior of the door. Is it a special vinyl? if so, how do I print on my 54" Roland Solvent and THEN apply an adhesive?
Front door.jpg
on the INTERIOR of a glass door?

netsol

There is perf made to print second surface
Eco solvent
I have a short unopened roll in the shop, forget where I got it
I will read the packing list and post it tomorrow

BigNate

have you confirmed that it has adhesive holding it to the window? at least in the pic the long vertical edges appear to be rolled in, it may just be a window shade and not adhered vinyl.

SignMeUpGraphics

Super Active Member
Hexis now make a clear perforated material. You print on it in reverse, back it up with white then apply the adhesive to the interior surface.

ExtremeG Alamosa

Thanks guys. I guess it's not such a noob question!
have you confirmed that it has adhesive holding it to the window? at least in the pic the long vertical edges appear to be rolled in, it may just be a window shade and not adhered vinyl.
I will have to confirm. Maybe it's just cling???
Hexis now make a clear perforated material. You print on it in reverse, back it up with white then apply the adhesive to the interior surface.
Wouldn't I need to print white? (we aint that cool yet to have a CMYKW printer :)

ikarasu

There's a few vendors that make it. The most popular is gecko grip. It's kind of like an idot material... But kind of not? Hard to explain. Think static cling / idot mixed.

Also think double the price!

If you google inside Mount window perf a few vendors / options come up. I've only used gecko grip..so I can't vouch for the others. It's neat stuff, but still expensive.

https://www.fellers.com/fellers-sho...w-films/set/magic-new-vue-interior-mount-perf another option

Last edited:

CanuckSigns

You can get non adhesive perf, you print then apply an optically clear mounting adhesive over the print and install it on the interior side, it's quite a bit more involved and much more expensive with no real benefit, but it does exist.

SignMeUpGraphics

Super Active Member
Wouldn't I need to print white? (we aint that cool yet to have a CMYKW printer :)

Yes, you'd need white for that particular product.

ContraVision used to have a product that had a light adhesive that you could print directly onto and still apply to the interior of a window.
It looks like they've gone down the path of Hexis though and made the product clear which will require white inks to make opaque.

rjssigns

Panorama film from Continental Graphics. Made for inside mounting with double stick tape.
No jerkin' around with print on this then adhesive that, back up with double hit white BS blah blah blah.

Yes, you'd need white for that particular product.

ContraVision used to have a product that had a light adhesive that you could print directly onto and still apply to the interior of a window.
It looks like they've gone down the path of Hexis though and made the product clear which will require white inks to make opaque.
But they can mount white vinyl (no grey adhesive) to the back of it to create the white. That's an option. Or the adhesive-less perf with clear mounting film will do as well.

bob

It's better to have two hands than one glove.
All these people and none of them seem to know the way to do this? Here's how...First you MUST USE perf media with clear adhesive. Start by printing the mirror image, as in backwards, on clear laminate. Then laminate the printed laminate with the perf media. Apply the result to the inside of the glass. Don't fret if the colors on the laminate seem washed out, when the white perf media is applied as the laminate it becomes the white point for the print and all the colors assume their normal values. The only downside is that the non-white colors on the image are compoetly printed on the laminate making the holes in the perf a washed out transparent version of the color being printed. Most people will never notice. If this bothers you then you're left with the print and then apply adhesive chinese fire drill. If you look closely at the OP's image it looks very much like the method described above was used.

TrustMoore_TN

Sign & Graphics Business Consultant
All these people and none of them seem to know the way to do this? Here's how...First you MUST USE perf media with clear adhesive. Start by printing the mirror image, as in backwards, on clear laminate. Then laminate the printed laminate with the perf media. Apply the result to the inside of the glass. Don't fret if the colors on the laminate seem washed out, when the white perf media is applied as the laminate it becomes the white point for the print and all the colors assume their normal values. The only downside is that the non-white colors on the image are compoetly printed on the laminate making the holes in the perf a washed out transparent version of the color being printed. Most people will never notice. If this bothers you then you're left with the print and then apply adhesive chinese fire drill. If you look closely at the OP's image it looks very much like the method described above was used.
The only caveat I would add is to print to Optically Clear laminate if they want to retain the clarity of the view through the perf when applied.

brdesign

There is a type of window perf that doesn't have any adhesive and you use strips of an optically clear tape that comes with the kit and you just stick the perimeter of the print to the inside of the glass. I can't remember the name of it.