• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Print & Cut off

Colin

Roland SP-540i

I’m perplexed by this Print & Cut problem I’m having. I’m doing these .25” x 1.25” printed decals on clear 210 Lam, as I’ve done tons of for this customer in the past without issue. All of a sudden the cut is off on the left to right (“scan”) axis, but what’s weird is that the cuts at the right end are correct, but get progressively off towards the left.

I’ve set the print & cut alignment so that it’s bang-on, so can’t figure out why this is happening. No temperature swings, and heater is set to the same temp.

Any ideas?

rjssigns

Make sure it's printing where it's supposed to. Had somewhat the same issue when I had my Roland.
Figured out the print was skewing. Was a long time ago and don't recall what the exact fix was.

Could be something as simple as trusting the sheet cut function. Don't. Make sure your vinyl is running perfectly square. You can use a large t-square to make sure. Ran a bunch of jobs one time and the cuts towards the end were not even close. Checked the vinyl for square an it was 9/16" out.

Something else I learned about printers is that ribbon cables and encoder boards are consumables. Don't forget the encoder strip either.

Jim Hancock

Old School Technician
Try doing the following in the below order (all these are in the service mode):
Initialize the Limit
Aging - Feed, Scan and Cutting
Linear Encoder
Linear Calibration
Crop-Cut Alignment
Print-Cut Alignment

Then in the user menu, go to the cutting menu. There is an option for Auto Env Match, enable this.

This will re-calibrate the movement system of the printer. On some models there is an adjustment in the user menu called Environmental Match. This is something that should be done when there are environmental changes, humidity, temperature, etc. This compensates from micro changes in the length of the encoder strip, which is a piece of film and is impacted environmental changes. This is why encoder strips are always attached with a spring on the left end.

Let us know the results...