• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

print/cut registration problems

scott pagan

i have an order for approx 4000 1.88" x 1.88" oval decals (6up x X length) with a tight 1/32" white border. i'm about a few hundred into the print and while checking the cut, it is creeping off. i don't know if it's the printer Edge LE streching the print (up/away from control panel side) or if my plotter is off enough to make the difference noticeable. the first 1 or 2 decals line up exactly, from there the strech becomes apparent that is not acceptable. any tips on how to save the prints i already have and/or registering for the rest of the run? it is rare i cut items this tight, but this job requires it and i don't want to scrap where i'm at so far.

Fred Weiss

Merchant Member
I've been complaining about this since 1999 with no results. The workaround I use is simply to keep my runs relatively short. The further you get from the target the more erratic is the result. It's a little more lining up and sending but it gets the job done.

Techman

exactly what Fred said.. Short runs only. or you can pause after each row and back up the material just a tad or move the head for each row.
I wonder what cutter you are using?
--Techman

scott pagan

it's an EnVision 375. that's kinda my dilemma, wether it's the printer or the plotter. i normally wouldn't run such a tight cut job, but since i had my heads replaced a few months ago, i've notices tight registration/cut jobs are off more than i remember them being.

Bill Modzel

I'm not sure what cutter your using but on my GSX plus I just pause, the cut, than manually click the vinyl over a tad and hit the run button again.

Also, a carefull measurement of where your registeration target is printed in relationship to the print will save you sometimes also. I've had paper edged vinyl get chewed up for whatever reason on a repeat print. I've hand marked where the bullit would have been in relationship to the first good print. Reset the repeat in MacImprint to match the remaining rows and sent it again. Tweaked it with the above method a bit and saved myself a large reprint.

Ladypainter

One of my biggest gripes with our Edge. We are also running the Envision 375. Never know what in the heck it's going to do (the Edge). I love our Envision and it runs perfectly...always has...think the problem lies with the Edge.

I don't think they can do recalibration....can they? My rep never mentioned it with me anyway...

I forgot to tell everyone...my VersaCamm has met all approvals and is in purchasing! YAYYYYYYYYYYYY!

LP

Fred Weiss

Merchant Member
Look in your Jobs folder or on your installation CD. There should be folders named Calibrat and EdgeTest. It's been a while since I used them but they may help.

I've also found it helpful to print the target in the color that defines the edge of the art. That way you are lining up to that print pass and will have the least error.

scott pagan

Fred Weiss said:
Look in your Jobs folder or on your installation CD. There should be folders named Calibrat and EdgeTest. It's been a while since I used them but they may help.

d'oh! i can't find on my discs...

Fred Weiss said:
I've also found it helpful to print the target in the color that defines the edge of the art. That way you are lining up to that print pass and will have the least error.

as always, but the tolerance is too tight for this much out of registration between the 2 machines.

scott pagan

thanks Fred!
not sure how to use the files though. i ran the 45sticks and do see the print to cut is off about 1/64th inch left to right with the print being short and the cut being longer.

as for the *.bat files, i get an error saying the printer is offline; but if i run it as the printer is printing, it says the files were sent... but i see no evidence that it has done anything.

any other tips?

scott pagan

ha! while moving your files to a storage folder, i see i do have a "C:\Jobs\Calibrat" file. since i have all my Edge jobs in another directory.

scott pagan

and after running the calibrat.plt file i do now see how far off my print to cut is. now that i know just how much each corner co-ordinate is... how can i fix/adjust it?

Fred Weiss

Merchant Member
It's been too long since I used it to tell you. I seem to recall there was a number or a letter that ends up getting entered through the keypad of the Envision.

Ladypainter

Thanks Baz!

Now I'm down to learning Corel GRRRR! I sure have been putting it off :biggrin:

I stumbled across those Roland forums when I was searching for the VersaCamm in the beginning. I'll definately be joining!

Diana

Baz said:
Congrats LP ! Once you get it you should register in the Roland forums. Its the best way of getting help from other users.

www.rolanddga.com

scott pagan

thanks to all who offered help.

after reading Mel's post (over at 4EdgeTalk.com) i went in to the Help Section in GSPplot to read more and found these:

To print and cut the plotter calibration test:
1 Click File > Open to open the Open dialog box.
2 Choose the folder C:\Jobs\Calibrat to Look in.
3 Click Calibrat.plt to choose the calibration test pattern plot file.
4 Click Open.
5 Click Layout > Weed Border to turn off the weed border.
6 Click Setup > Device Select to open the Plotter/Printer Select dialog box.
7 Choose the plotter to calibrate from the Plotters list.
8 Choose the printer from the Vinyl Printers list.
9 Click OK.
10 Click File > Print to Device to send the calibration pattern to the printer.
11 Print the file according to the instructions on the printer.
12 Load and align the printed test pattern in the chosen plotter.
13 Click File > Cut/Pounce. The plotter will cut a frame around the edge of the calibration pattern. Use the test pattern to determine the need for plotter calibration.

To calibrate a plotter to a printer in GSPplot:
1 Click Setup > Device Select to open the Plotter/Printer Select dialog box.
2 Click Calibrate to open the Calibrate Plotter dialog box.
3 Choose the button that corresponds with the last numbered bar without black printed past the calibration frame.
4 Choose the button that corresponds with the last lettered bar without black printed past the calibration frame.
5 Click OK.

so now the plotter is calibrated to the printer, and i'll post my results after i run some more tests.
i also went ahead and re-cleaned all my sprokets on both the printer and plotter, just in case the little bit of buildup was making any troubles.

artofacks1

thanks to all who offered help.

after reading Mel's post (over at 4EdgeTalk.com) i went in to the Help Section in GSPplot to read more and found these:

To print and cut the plotter calibration test:
1 Click File > Open to open the Open dialog box.
2 Choose the folder C:\Jobs\Calibrat to Look in.
3 Click Calibrat.plt to choose the calibration test pattern plot file.
4 Click Open.
5 Click Layout > Weed Border to turn off the weed border.
6 Click Setup > Device Select to open the Plotter/Printer Select dialog box.
7 Choose the plotter to calibrate from the Plotters list.
8 Choose the printer from the Vinyl Printers list.
9 Click OK.
10 Click File > Print to Device to send the calibration pattern to the printer.
11 Print the file according to the instructions on the printer.
12 Load and align the printed test pattern in the chosen plotter.
13 Click File > Cut/Pounce. The plotter will cut a frame around the edge of the calibration pattern. Use the test pattern to determine the need for plotter calibration.

To calibrate a plotter to a printer in GSPplot:
1 Click Setup > Device Select to open the Plotter/Printer Select dialog box.
2 Click Calibrate to open the Calibrate Plotter dialog box.
3 Choose the button that corresponds with the last numbered bar without black printed past the calibration frame.
4 Choose the button that corresponds with the last lettered bar without black printed past the calibration frame.
5 Click OK.

so now the plotter is calibrated to the printer, and i'll post my results after i run some more tests.
i also went ahead and re-cleaned all my sprokets on both the printer and plotter, just in case the little bit of buildup was making any troubles.

I just did a test print cus I thought my print and cutter were mis aligned and it was perfect. Thanks for posting this!!!!

I had to check the calibration because I printed this the other day as a test print and I cut it today and it was off. I am going to try this again. :)

test_cut.jpg