• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Print, Laminate Reload, Cut

cardfan4342

Have been using my 300v for a year or so, only using spray lam. Have been reading thru the info on this great site and am considering a laminator. I received a very brief lesson on the day of delivery but way too much info to process. Would appreciate any instruction, input on available tutorials either printed or online. Seems that this process will slow the overall job time? From what I have gathered on here lamination will help the overall life of the print. Most of my print jobs to date have required a contour cut. Very concerned how long they are gonna last with the aerosol overlam. :thankyou:

high impact

Yes! Buy a laminator. Yes, it slows the job down (a little). Yes, it helps the overall life. YES! YOU GET TO CHARGE LOTS MORE! ;-)

cardfan4342

Can you give me a cost, time scenario on a set of truck doors. Basically just the lamination time and cost differences versus just print cut spray install.

cardfan4342

Also any recommendations on laminator type, brand etc. probably like everything else you get what you pay for. maybe save me some time by nailing down some quality brand names.

cardfan4342

cost time scenario

If possible maybe someone could tell me app. how much time and cost added to a normal size truck door print? Just the lamination time and cost. also maybe some quality laminator models. I have a 30" machine now but will probably go to 54" within the next 30 -60 days.:thankyou:

high impact

I'd NEVER spray laminate anything that is being installed on a vehicle.

Laminate price depends on brand and type - cast verses calendared. Check out any supplier for prices.

Time scenario depends on you - remove from printer, install in laminator, press the foot switch, reinstall in cutter and hit find crop marks.

How long does it take you to spray and allow to dry? No aerosol fumes either. I have sprayed or rolled my prints before when I couldn't up sell the laminate but I much prefer cold roll laminate and you deliver a much higher quality product.

I have a 55" Daige laminator - good for the money but not as good as a 5-7,000 dollar laminator - you truly get what you pay for.

We used a weeder-sheeter to laminate before the Daige and it worked awesome...actually still have laminate loaded in it. Cast in the Daige and Calendared in the weeder-sheeter.

Good luck

chopper

I have a seal laminator it is a 62" I bought it used and did a little work on it to get it up to speed I have about 4K into the machine after getting it ready to go...

after you get the print, laminate, and cut, process down I think that it is faster than applying a liquid lam, but you will need to let the print degass over night before applying the laminate, atleast that is what is recomended,
I dont know if you do that with the process you are using now, you can also use a big squeege to apply your laminate I think the web site is bigsqueege.com if you shearch the posts here you will find info on it,
it is sold by a member of this site and it has great reviews, although I never used it, I was going to get one when I found the laminator I have now hope this info will help
//chopper

Graphics2u

Definately get a laminator. I started with a daige Quickmount III. It worked ok, but I ended up getting aDrytac Jet mounter last year. A 54" is about 4500.00. But it has worked great! Just for cold lams but that what is most common in the adhesive inkjet vinyl market. Takes a little time to laminate and then cut contours, but with a good registration system you'll get a system down in a hurry.

javila

Added time on a pair of doors? 1 or 2 Hours to dry (heavy coverage prints maybe 5). About 5 minutes to laminate (including setup).

So 1 to 2 hours?

Cal 210 Laminate : $.30 /sq ft
Cast 290 Laminate: $.60 / sq ft

The Big Squeegee

Long Time Member
Also any recommendations on laminator type, brand etc. probably like everything else you get what you pay for. maybe save me some time by nailing down some quality brand names.
The link in my signature will take you to the forum discount web site for the Big Squeegee.

The Big Squeegee will laminate your largest prints with no bubbles and no wrinkles. It comes in several sizes and types for working with a wide variety of jobs.

By starting with the Big Squeegee, you will be able to get the feel of your market before investing in a larger more expensive machine. Even if you do decide to get a roll laminator, there will still be jobs that will be faster and less wasteful if done with the Big Squeegee.

cdiesel

Let your prints dry! It makes a difference, and most manufacturer's recommend 24 hours before laminating. I know this will slow things down dramatically, but realize you're taking your chances laminating before that.

That said, we've been laminating for years right after printing, but have been recently convinced that it's best to let prints dry first.