• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Printed vinyl application in cold temperatures.

Swettsigns

I Have a job that consists of applying Printed vinyl on a window. Being located in Maine and it being December it is pretty cold outside. If I were to wait until a warmer day in the mid 40's would it be possible to apply the vinyl and the adhesive work just as well? Are there any suggestions that may help with the cold weather application? Or would it be wiser to just wait until the warmth of spring?

Gino

Premium Subscriber
A lot will have to do with the kinda vinyl you used. If you laminated it, I'd say you're good to about 10º or 15º. The problem is you lose just about all dexterity in your fingers at those temperatures and swear you'll never do it again. Otherworldly, just wait for warm weather and schedule around your seasons up there for your outdoor work.

rjssigns

If it's bitter cold I bring my torpedo heater and set it up to blow on the glass. Not too close though. You want just a bit of heat and not shock the glass. The first time we did this was on a jewelry store in Upper Michigan. January, in the middle of a blizzard, installing frosted glass etch. Fun times.

For smaller jobs if the glass is not insulated we will set radiant heaters on the inside of the panes. We did a photography studio in January using that method.(mid 20's F temp) Worked a treat.

Swettsigns

Someone also said that using a face mount might be a good option. I would do the installation from the inside, rather than the outside.
has anyone ever used it before, and if so what are your thoughts?

myront

CorelDRAW is best
Hmm. Coworker called in this morning to get his Air Conditioner looked at. Just saying it's still hot here in Florida.
On a side note we have a designated wrap room that can fit some pretty good size vehicles. We're also adding another larger room. Gotta have that A/C ya know. LOL
Heat also reeks havoc on vinyl.

player

Hmm. Coworker called in this morning to get his Air Conditioner looked at. Just saying it's still hot here in Florida.
On a side note we have a designated wrap room that can fit some pretty good size vehicles. We're also adding another larger room. Gotta have that A/C ya know. LOL
Heat also reeks havoc on vinyl.

When it's so hot you always need air and you cannot go out much because of the heat and sun, it doesn't seem much different than winter...

BigfishDM

Merchant Member
Someone also said that using a face mount might be a good option. I would do the installation from the inside, rather than the outside.
has anyone ever used it before, and if so what are your thoughts?

That is something to really consider but I would let you know that the face mount adhesive is not cheap. I sell a bubble free face mount and its in $0.60 sq.ft range.

Andy D

I remember seeing this awhile back, has anyone tried this?
[h=2]Now there is Rapid Tac II which works with any type film in temperatures extremes 20°F to 140°F. and is a blessing for glass applications.[/h]

attachment.php

Attachments

• tac2image.png
    tac2image.png
    79.6 KB · Views: 274

Andy D

Also, I read that some installers will set up heat lamps on the inside of a trailer, facing the side they're working on,
when they have to apply vinyl to a semi trailer in the winter. This should work for store front windows too.

Billct2

Applying heat to glass in cold temperatures is risky. It can be done, but carefully.
When I absolutely have to use juice I use RapidTac 2, it's definitely a good product.
But dry is always our preferred method

ChaseO

Premium Subscriber
I am not familiar with face mount, but sounds like something I need to investigate.

When I'm lettering a cold storefront window for instance, I leave the decals in the truck with the heat on, and only put on what I can measure, apply, and remove the mask on very quickly. Obviously for an elaborate window job this is not the answer, but for a quick store hours, or small window lettering, it works a lot better than applying a cold graphic to a cold window.

I have used Rapid Tac II quite a bit, but lettering on cold metal vs cold glass is a little different. Whenever possible, I try to do any on-site glass lettering dry.