• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Printed vinyl on printed window perf problem

Gino

Premium Subscriber
If you are using perf then not much point of doing cut vinyl over top.

But the statement above is not true...maybe where you live, but here in Michigan and in many other states you can paint the back window black if you want....as long as you have 2 side mirrors. So you could print on non perf vinyl and put that on the back window if you wanted to.

-Marsha

The only time that I've heard you can do something like that is if you change your tags and registration to 'Commercial' or 'Truck'. Other than that, you are not permitted to change a window vehicle into a different automobile classification on your own. I highly doubt Michigan is much different than other states. I guess with this sort of thinking, you could eliminate the side mirrors altogether if you have someone sit on the roof and communicate with you by tapping out morse code on the roof to you. :ROFLMAO:

Malkin

Some excellent points here...

Just a thought if your looking for a quick fix and might have to re-do it anyway. Since the vinyl is already applied, could you apply some clear laminate right over everything, right on the window?
I'm sure there are a myriad reasons why this might not be the best thing, just something to consider.

G-Artist

BlueFish, you are in a heap of trouble, boy!!!! LOL. Hope you are old enough to reconize where that came from.

Alabama Law on the subject:

Section 32-5-215
Windshields must be unobstructed; windshield wipers; tinting.
(a) No person shall drive any motor vehicle with any sign, poster or other nontransparent material upon the front windshield, sidewings or side or rear windows of such vehicle which obstructs the driver's clear view of the highway or any intersecting highway.

I think the key words in that part of the statute are "nontransparent material" as it could possibly apply to the job you are currently doing.

[....]

(d) No person shall operate a motor vehicle which has a windshield, sidewing or rear window which has tinting to the extent or manufactured in such a way that occupants of the vehicle cannot be easily identified or recognized through the sidewing or rear windows from outside the motor vehicle.

(e) The provisions of this section shall not apply to the manufactured tinting of windshields of motor vehicles or to certificates of identification, decals or other papers required by law to be displayed on such windshield or windows.

All you can do is advise your client/customer of the above as they are the ones who will face the consequences should a smoky nail him.

Just for grins, I checked PA state law as Gino always has a unique perspective on laws both real and imagined.

The PA folks don't seem to be able to make up their mind at all.

The statute seems like a simple read.

TITLE 75 Section 4524 (e)(1) of the Pennsylvania Common Statutes states that
(1) No person shall drive any motor vehicle with any sun screening device or other material which does not permit a person to see or view the inside of the vehicle through the windshield, side wing or side window of the vehicle.

Rear windows aren't even mentioned (good). But kiss a full wrap goodbye (from a plain read). Then you stumble across a page like:
http://www.berksweb.com/users/dmv/tint/

Nothing in law is ever simple.