• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Printers in the future?

jason91

Do you think there will ever be a printer that will print flouresent colors? I know that Roland has a new printer that has metalic ink...and it fires off of a spot color? Isn't possible they could do the same thing, put instead of metalic it would be a flouresent color? Instead of metalicc gold and white they could do 2 or 3 flo colors?? If they ever make one...I've bought it! Image how much easier it would be to do race cars.... I know flour. wouldn't last long outdoors, but at least we would have an option.

signswi

Yeah..that might work if all you wanted was white, black and your flo color...but you couldn't do anything else.

I do so many racecars..it would speed my process up 50%.

Print white and then color on top of the white. The problem with adding a fluorescent ink would be it's just one color -- adding white or metallic to a printer adds way more capability than just one spot color for inkjets (as you can tint the metallic and white is useful for the obvious reasons).

Maybe some day with the way web inkjets are taking off you'll have a way of loading particular spots and pre-mixing them or whatever but I doubt it, at least not anytime soon. Super low demand.

WrapperX

It would be a cool mod if it were possible but I don't think it would go main stream. Maybe like printing white is an adjustable addition to a 4 or 6 color printer. Maybe set it up for 8 color with a flourescent additive or something like that.

Gino

Premium Subscriber
With the right combination... you can practically get florescent colors or try mimicking PMS fluorescents. I have a print on our wall that has such bright coloring in it... it actually looks fluorescent.

When you go to trade shows, that's one of the come-ons from some of these companies.... that they can achieve that bright look enough to fool the eye into thinking it's seeing florescent.

signswi

There's a pretty big difference between a material/ink which actually fluoresces and one that's just "bright". Even with 12 color ink sets and super wide gamut profiles. I know what you mean though.

Rooster

You need a super bright media to pull it off. One with a ton of UV brighteners (which fluoresce) and then you could print. No matter what, your colors brightness will be determined by the underlying white point of the media. Putting a fluorescent ink onto your typical grey banner media will not achieve a true fluorescent look. Unless it was some kind of opaque ink.

jason91

You need a super bright media to pull it off. One with a ton of UV brighteners (which fluoresce) and then you could print. No matter what, your colors brightness will be determined by the underlying white point of the media. Putting a fluorescent ink onto your typical grey banner media will not achieve a true fluorescent look. Unless it was some kind of opaque ink.

Never thought of that...Good point? You probably could get close though because most of the media i use is true white.

What brand has the brightest white vinyl?

jason91

Print white and then color on top of the white. The problem with adding a fluorescent ink would be it's just one color -- adding white or metallic to a printer adds way more capability than just one spot color for inkjets (as you can tint the metallic and white is useful for the obvious reasons).

Maybe some day with the way web inkjets are taking off you'll have a way of loading particular spots and pre-mixing them or whatever but I doubt it, at least not anytime soon. Super low demand.

You could tint the flor too...and get differnet shades of flour.