• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Printing a flourescent orange

OCsteve

We are trying to create a decal that will match the orange of a water cooler. The color gamut on our Mimaki JV 3 will not allow us to "hit" the orange we need which is critical. This was a rush job for 16 decals that could into and order for 2500 if we can find a solution. Our solution was to use an orange vinyl to get a passable match. The second part of the problem was that the decal had a gray gradient which eliminated the use of colored vinyl. We were also required to use a matte laminate to reduce glare.

Our solution on the 16 rush decals was to print the full color file, remove the non-matching orange with our cutter, mount the remaining graphic on orange vinyl, laminate the whole shebang and then contour cut the decal to size. It looked great but the price tripled with the additional material and labor involved.

Any ideas how we can produce/create a more vibrant orange on our JV 3?

Grafix USA

The short answer: No. You can't get rich, vibrant, flourescent colors from
CMYK. It's not even theoretically possible; the laws of physics forbid it.

The long answer:

No. You can't get rich, vibrant, flourescent colors from CMYK...but for the
most part, it doesn't matter. The way human color perception works, we tend to
see what we expect to see. You've never seen a photograph, postcard, or printed
picture of a blue sky that matches the reality of blue sky, because that vivid
blue can't be reproduced in CMYK--but you don't notice that the color is always
wrong, because color perception is relative.

If it's necessary to match one specific color--say, the color of a
product--then you will need to use a spot color to get that effect in print;
nothing you can do will give you a vivid flourescent color in CMYK. But if it
is not necessary that the color match some real-world product, you may not need
to do anything. Sure, the before and after looks bad, because've seen the
"before." But when other people see only the "after," it may not make any
difference.

I'd check Stouse. I bet they can match it for the large order. Explain to the customer about spot printing and that it can't be achieved exactly in a short run digital print. You'll get closest by using RGB and tweaking the colors manually. Make sure you write down your codes once you get an acceptable color.

iSign

I'd check Stouse. I bet they can match it for the large order. Explain to the customer about spot printing and that it can't be achieved exactly in a short run digital print. You'll get closest by using RGB and tweaking the colors manually. Make sure you write down your codes once you get an acceptable color.

DON'T EXPLAIN S#!T... TAKE THE MONEY, SUB IT OUT... MAKE OTHER MONEY WHILE SOMEONE ELSE MAKES YOU THAT MONEY :Big Laugh

Grafix USA

DON'T EXPLAIN S#!T... TAKE THE MONEY, SUB IT OUT... MAKE OTHER MONEY WHILE SOMEONE ELSE MAKES YOU THAT MONEY :Big Laugh

He's talking about a first run of 16 decals. I don't think anyone is going to sub that out. I would mock up a "close" match and explain why it won't match exactly until the larger run through Stouse, etc.

I'd start with RGB color of 255-69-0 and tweak it from there.

OCsteve

Thanks guys. I will check with Stouse. I like the idea of subbing it out since the color match is critical.

jiarby

you would have to silkscreen flourescent ink as a flood coat... essentially making your own sheet vinyl.

You cant print a color outside your gamut. That' why they use the work "outside"!!

ZsVinylInc

Am I missing something here....why not just print, lam, cut and mask the logo or design with out the orange background and if they are worried about being able to apply them that way and not get any bubbles then do it on 3165 RA or IJ35C.

OCsteve

Mosh - Sorry I can't post the design due to a confidentiality agreement. Client is rather paranoid.
ZsVinylInc - We thought of that but without the orange there would be seven separate pieces being sent out to people to install that probably have never touched vinyl in their lives.

ZsVinylInc

We thought of that but without the orange there would be seven separate pieces being sent out to people to install that probably have never touched vinyl in their lives.

OCsteve I guess I am still missing something without seeing the design but if you mask all seven pieces under the same single piece of masking then it is only one item....Well just thought it might be a suggestion to help you with your problem....I am out of ideas except to sub it out. Happy Holidays and wish you the best of luck on this project.

Big Z

Si Allen

Sounds like a job for silk screening! Won't be much profit in 16 pieces ... but iof you get the 2500 piece order...then lots of $$ to be made!

ShawnLVESP

A lot of people are saying to sub the job out. But how does that sub company do it. What are they doing to get the right results. What type of machinery do they have.

thanks

I see screenprinting mentioned and using that specific color ink mentioned above. is there any other way.

Mosh

It is only 16 prints. Are they 4 inch prints or 4 feet? The customer is NOT always right, I think you are making this too hard, just tell them the color can not be matched unless they want to spend lots of $$$ on 16 decals for some coolers. Don't be scared to say you can't do something. I used to tell every customer "YES WE CAN", alot of the time I lost money just to do it! Now I tell them this is what I can do, if you don't like it call Joe Blow down the road. Alot less stress and guess what, most customers are happy with what we can do.

BTW, I here all the time "if you can do these now in a rush we will order 1,000,000 of these later from you"
Yeah right, don't be a sucker.

heyskull

Don't even start to believe this job will make you $1,000s
This sounds like one of those customers wanting the nearly impossible for peanuts.
I think you have stumbled already by giving this customer a product!
He is going to turn round and ask for an extra 20off and you will never see him again!
Nothings impossible for the right money.

SC

OCsteve

Thanks for all your input. I am in contact with Stouse to see if they can match the orange. The original 16 have already been produced and we did really well on this as we charged $600 for the color matching time involved an $18 each for the 12"x18" decals.
I am not worried about the customer going elsewhere if we can find a solution. We do a lot of prototype work for this client and they never hesitate paying us for our time. The big issue, in addition to matching the color, is price. $18 each for the end user will not fly. If they were able to use the orange we could print the price would have been $6.50 each and this would have been a nice job this time of year. Generally, the middle of December to the middle of January is slow.