• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Printing on Butcher Paper

dlndesign

Has anyone done this with a Roland VP 540? If so, what would be the best profile, or should I just make my own?

Thanks

Gino

Premium Subscriber
That's for either wrapping your fish or hand painting. Why would you waste ink on transparent paper ??

jiarby

Put a sharpie in your plotter... DOH! your Roland IS your plotter@! Does the blade holder for those things also hold a pen?? I use a Graphtec, which has a pen holder. :)

I'm guessing you want to make a pounce pattern.

True 'butcher paper' is not coated for use with solvent inks. The ink will simply absorb and bleed, or, depending on the paper, not permeate and smear on the surface of the paper.

grafixemporium

Isn't butcher paper coated in wax? I don't think the inks will stick.

I actually had a customer ask me about something like this a few months ago. I didn't feel comfortable doing it - even as a test - as she was planning on wrapping food in the paper.

Gino

Premium Subscriber
Butcher paper
From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Butcher paper is cheap but sturdy paper that is sold in large rolls. "Butcher paper" is white, made from kraft pulp and is generally considered to be between 30 lb/3000 sq ft (45 g/m²) and 50 lb/3000 sq ft (81 g/m²) basis weight of paper. Originally sold to butchers for the purpose of wrapping meat and fish, butcher paper is now used for a wide variety of purposes, notably in primary education where it is used for arts and crafts. Most highschools use butcher paper for posters of clubs, and upcoming events.

Back in the day, we hand-painted on this paper because it was very cheap and the grocery stores provided us this paper in bulk. It handled perfectly and did the job splendidly. Everyone was happy for the signs that needed to last a week or so.

Gino

Premium Subscriber
Based on the OP's profile, I don't think there is much need to worry about his/her being a potential customer.... besides, I'm under the impression that other than signs shops, no potential customers are here or anywhere else on this forum. Please read the headliner on entering this site. However, with most of today's money problems, I'm sure 3M is working on a way to get even cheap paper into their arsenal of digital media for a greater reap of rewards from us sign shops.