• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Printing on frosted?

Joop

I have a client that want's some frosted vinyl cut. They also have a crest they want cut but it's waaaay to detailed even for my plotter.
I was thinking of printing black on the same frosted vinyl and then laminating it... you think it would work? I'll try it if there is no chance of harming my machine...

thoughts?

Jester1167

Premium Subscriber
Blacks on frosted have a translucent effect so you may need to adjust the black so it doesn't end up being muddy brown, green or blue. An overprint will help some.

Joop

Well I was going to laminate it in case the frosted vinyl didn't hold the ink very well.

Good idea with the overprint.

gabagoo

I have printed on frost and it is a nice effect. The colours don't come out that opaque and have a pearlescent look (depends on the frost I guess) As far as laminating goes...I wouldn't. The one thing I have found with my printer (Mimaki) is that if you can leave a graphic to dry for a week or so they are much more cured and can withstand more punishment. I printed some decals for me and my buds before we went to Florida and I put some on my luggage to identify my stuff faster as it came off the plane. The decals was beaten to rat $%$% but the ink stayed on and had very little scuffing...that would be the best torture test for any graphic?:clapping:

Joop

Gabagoo! Awesome! I'm glad to hear I'm not the first guinea pig. Thanks for the input.

The only thing that concerns me now is the Avery frosted vinyl I got has a notation in the catalog "not thermal printable". I did buy this vinyl for this job, but they since changed the logo on me so now I have to print.

signpro

Manager
i was going to say Thermal print it... you can double print it too to make it more opaque. i'm pretty sure there is thermal printable frosted available. we have an edge... if i get time later today i'll do a test print on some frosted and tell you what i think... gotta go tint an STi now. will check back later.

Joop

One more thing... These decals are going on interior office doors. They probably get cleaned every night. You think the ink would hold up to windex and crap like that? Maybe I should laminate....

gabagoo

One more thing... These decals are going on interior office doors. They probably get cleaned every night. You think the ink would hold up to windex and crap like that? Maybe I should laminate....

probably not over time. I'm sure the solvents in Windex or probably some industrial cleaner will slowly break down the pigment. I would just warn the customer that nothing but soap and water to be used to clean the glass.