• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Printing On High Visibility Reflective

Rickey J

Have a question. I am looking for a High Visibility reflective material to print on. Everything I come across is Latex or Screen print only. I have a Roland XR-640 and a Mimaki UCJV300.
Any suggestions?

jfiscus

Rap Master
I have seen people print on the Reflexite sheeting with success. I'd bet you could with a solvent printer.

rjssigns

Have a question. I am looking for a High Visibility reflective material to print on. Everything I come across is Latex or Screen print only. I have a Roland XR-640 and a Mimaki UCJV300.
Any suggestions?
If it's not a big part of your business sub it out and collect the check.

jcskikus

Owner, Designer & Installer
I print on Oracal 5600RA or 3M IJ680CR without any issues backed by its suggested laminate. I've also printed on 3M 680CR as well, since the market is scarce for the IJ680CR. Cost about the same and it's laminated, so there hasn't been any issues whatsoever. Ask Grimco or NGlantz, and they say it's the same stuff, just with different packing to drive up the cost.

Boudica

Back to "educational purposes"
We've printed several different brands of reflective vinyl on our Roland XR... Are you looking for something different than night bright, or Arlon? Maybe I don't understand... Is "high visibility reflective" something rare and different?

TrustMoore_TN

Sign & Graphics Business Consultant
Any suggestions?
Take a look at Nikkalite. I don't have experience with the Roland, but the UCJV should be able to print on it. If it's for a regulated traffic sign, you'll need to sub out to someone that has a 3M/Avery (and others) that is a certified ink/printer/reflective sheeting print provider.

ikarasu

There are different grades of reflectivity, the kind that is common for vehicles and print is engineer grade / glass beads. It is the lower end of the reflectivity brightness wise.

That being said Nikolai does make a high intensity glass bead that is printable, but for whatever reason they put star watermarks all throughout it.

My guess is that Op wants to use a prismatic reflective, like 3m 3930. It's mainly used in traffic signage but it reflects way better than regular reflective vinyl and captures light at much wider angles.

If it is for traffic, you can't just print it with any printer. Heck, even though it is latex compatible you can't just print it with a compatible printer, you have to get your machine certified for traffic and use actual traffic software to make sure that the colors fall within spec.

You can cheat and just use a latex, but as soon as somebody crashes around the sign and investigates whether the sign is up to code, guess who is liable if it is not?

So if it's for traffic I would stay away. If it's not print on an optically clear over lamb and apply it on top if you don't have the proper inks. You will lose some of the reflectivity but it's pretty much the only way. We used to do it for real estate signs and it always turned out nice.

MikePro

if its not for DOT, just print on clear, then laminate that onto the reflective.
if it is for DOT, then follow the spec. & outsource if needed.

Solventinkjet

DIY Printer Fixing Guide
Solvent printers can print on almost any reflective you can find. I've had success with Nikkalite products specifically but there shouldn't be a need to print on clear and laminate. Just print direct.

signheremd

We have a Roland XR 640 and print on Reflective vinyl with it. Oracal 5600 Reflective gives the best resolution. Nikkalite is reasonably good. Standard reflective, like Avery, does not always print well - colors sometimes look uneven. We laminate after printing for some UV protection. If it is being applied to a vehicle with compound curves, we apply it to wrap vinyl first - makes conformability much better and much easier to apply without any bubbles...