• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Printing on Reflective

SignStudent

Is it okay to print eco-solvent ink on Avery reflective t-1500? I only need to print red and black on it, and the parts covered with ink need not be reflective.

If it's not okay, why? Would the material just repel the ink or something?

Also, if that doesn't work, would it be a good idea to just print on clear and stick that over the reflective?

sfr table hockey

I think it was an Oracal 5700 grade that I used and it printed real nice. I was qiute surprised how well it printed as some things don't always take the ecosol ink so well.

Good stuff to make a tamper proof decal out of as you can't pick that stuff off in one piece.

Gino

Premium Subscriber
I think your profile mentions you have a Roland EcoSol. Use the right Roland profile and high quality and you shouldn't have any problems.

My main concern would be using A V E R Y products. A V E R Y reflectives were some of the largest problem areas when they screwed everyone. I have no idea if they've fixed the problem, but I'd re-think my choice to OraCal or 3M or another well known manufacturer. Anything but A V E R Y. :thumb:

niksagkram

We often print on Avery A7 reflective, with no issues. We always laminate though. (Roland XC540)
Haven't tried the T Series though.

radiohead223

we just finished a job printing on reflective and about to do another very soon. we use 3M engineer grade but we are using a mimaki... for us we use a far amount more heat to and the ink seem to ecth in nice and looks great once a over laminate goes on

petepaz

we do it with our rolands all the time but like gino said use the high quality setting for the best results (if it's not critical, depending on what the artwork is, standard mode is fine) and if it's out doors definately laminate. i have used nikkalite, oracal and avery all 3 have worked fine

SignStudent

These are going to be window decals for a motorcycle club. Doesn't need to last like a highway sign.

EDIT: The only reason I'm thinking Avery is because they already had some made in another state and they were Avery. I figured I'd just keep it the same. The ones they have look screen-printed or something though so that's why I asked about eco-solvent.

Gino

Premium Subscriber
You will never get the same results from translucent inks that you get from screen printing. You better show them a sample first and make sure you're all on the same page. It might look too washed out compared to what they are used to.

Custom_Grafx

Have you looked into the transparent overlay films for reflectives that you need to do as a cut vinyl on top of the reflective?

If the design allows it, do this, it looks sooo good!!!

Otherwise yes, just print and lam - the effect is quite nice as the colours reflect too.