• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Printing on white staic cling material?

DavidLSI

I have a customer who wants static cling material to be usedon the inside but viewed from the outside of a window.

If printing on white will it still cling with the print side against the window?

If that will not work and I print in reverse on clear material would it be suggested to cover with white vinyl, or possibly spary it white?

Thanks in advance for any input...

DavidLSI

MikePro

can't cover static cling material with vinyl.
well, you CAN, but it won't stick to the window for more than an hour.

Bill Modzel

We Edge print white and we've screen printed white.
I'd guess it would be possible to spray it but I'd thing the spray paint would be
a bit too hot on the solvents and really soften the static too much.
The couple of times I've laminated to white vinyl haven't worked either as both
substrates have very different expansion rates.

I'm quoting a customer right now on fairly large static clings, but on the outside
of the windows.

housemusikid

The white static material I use works if you print normally and apply ink side to clear window or back side to outer window. I have never had a complaint! I just printed some for the windshields of Hondas. The clear I reverse print because I can. The static cling material I use is from Fellers and the brand name is Solvex.

I hope this helps. :thumb:

we have done quite afew this year on our roland. we use white static, print direct and then apply to the inside of the window, no problems.......

niksagkram

Weird.... we had this very same request today! My first response was NO! we can't, but then I checked Roland's site and they have both a clear and a white that you can print on! Who knew!

Not sure what equipment you have David but from what I have found on the web, our Roland XC 540 should be able to do it.

Mark

iSign

Weird.... we had this very same request today! My first response was NO! we can't, but then I checked Roland's site and they have both a clear and a white that you can print on! Who knew!

Not sure what equipment you have David but from what I have found on the web, our Roland XC 540 should be able to do it.

Mark

yeah, but if you print reverse on clear... you need to print white on it after... can your Roland do that?

Late last year, I needed 1000 cling stickers, printed with white background color, for use inside the window, facing out.

I ordered them from our friend "Insignia" here at Signs101. He is a merchant member, and did an awesome job, got them done in a heartbeat.. and I made an excellent profit on the job!

I don't remember how he did them, so hopefully he will find this thread...

Letterbox Mike

Thanks for the kind words Doug!

You can solvent print static just fine, and it sticks to the inside of the window just fine.

There have been some people that raise the issue that trapping the ink between the static and the glass will "weld" the static to the glass, we've only had this happen one time, the solvent gases caused the static to bond to a film window tint on the inside of the glass, but that customer left the statics up for several years as well. So throw a disclaimer out there that 99% of the time there are no issues but if there is film window tint on the glass there is a slim possibility that the two could bond together. Also advise customers to use common sense, statics are very short-term products, don't leave one in the window for years and you won't have problems...

niksagkram

Doug.. from what I've read, the Roland will print just fine on their static cling, white or clear, but, of course, I have yet to try it, so I will reserve judgment for a few days 'til I try it.

Mark

WrapperX

We found that if you can't print white then you can print reverse on clear static then "laminate it" with white calandered vinyl so you have a white back. Doesn't do much for keeping price down but it works. Allows for interior application because the static material is still directly on the glass. The Printed image is between the static material and the white vinyl and the the White vinyl is protecting the print and giving you a nice backer.